Winemaking Fun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is what's left after pressing: a 60 lb cake of skins called pomace. In Italy, they ferment and distill this stuff to make the drink known as Grappa. :)

In Peru and Chile it is called Pisco. many fights fought over which one is best. Or which one makes the best Pisco sour....

Growing up in an Italian part of Boston, there are still many cellars with gallon jugs of homemade wine and Grappa. And everytime we have a party here, a jug shows up. At Christmas, there will probably be two of them. Most of the folks in this building don't drink because of their meds. But come holiday time, they make an exception. Nothing like homemade wine I guess to celebrate the occasion. Both jugs will be empty by the end of the evening. :angel:

You should write a step by step book with lots of photos.
Thanks. I've thought about doing that. Currently I teach a few classes, and am also the president of the local home winemaking club here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (over 100 members now). We're often asked to give presentations and seminars.

Grappa I have tasted with my Italian relatives & afraid its not to my liking at all! A very lethal drink :LOL: It used to burn my mouth so to speak. Definitely an acquired taste I think.
It's vile stuff. When I traveled in Italy a few years back, digestifs like grappa and lemoncello were something that was offered after every meal. Lemoncello I like. Grappa not so much.

Thanks. I've thought about doing that. Currently I teach a few classes, and am also the president of the local home winemaking club here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (over 100 members now). We're often asked to give presentations and seminars.

It's vile stuff. When I traveled in Italy a few years back, digestifs like grappa and lemoncello were something that was offered after every meal. Lemoncello I like. Grappa not so much.

My daughter serves Lemoncello when she has company for dinner. It is quite popular in these here parts. :angel:

Thank you for sharing! We make small batches from kits we buy but the idea of using whole grapes has always been alluring. Thank you for sharing your process and wonderful pictures!

Thanks for this presentation Steve! We are "kit" folks. Maybe someday we will be able to really be "scratch" wine makers. It is fascinating and I would say creative as well! :)

I don't drink alcohol at all. Have never had one in my life. Someone else can have my share. :angel:

You are very good Ads...we only have one glass of wine now with dinner when we have a celebration such as Christmas, Birthdays etc so we very rarely drink

Because someone has never had a drink or rarely drinks, is only a matter of choice, not a matter of how "good" one is. There are many very good people who choose to responsibly enjoy libations of one form or another on a more regular basis.

Because someone has never had a drink or rarely drinks, is only a matter of choice, not a matter of how "good" one is. There are many very good people who choose to responsibly enjoy libations of one form or another on a more regular basis.

I just chose not to drink. I think alcohol smells nasty. At least to me. When you bring the glass to your mouth, it is right under your nose. And there is no way you can hide it. For those folks who choose to drink, then I am happy for them. There are some folks who never drink coffee. I am happy for them also. There are folks who walk around with a bottle of water in their hand. To each their own. :angel:

This is really fascinating. What variables determine the quality of the final product? I assume the quality of the frozen grapes plays a major role but how do you determine that? Thanks!

Steve, thanks. I enjoyed reading and viewing your presentation. I drink less wine than I used to but it's still a topic of interest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom