A Blanket Ban on Chopped Romaine Lettuce in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This warning has been updated to include all romaine lettuce sold in the United States whether chopped, whole or hearts. From the link above:

Posted April 20, 2018 4:00 PM EST

What's New?

Based on new information, CDC is expanding its warning to consumers to cover*all*types of romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona growing region. This warning now includes whole heads and hearts of romaine lettuce, in addition to chopped romaine and salads and salad mixes containing romaine.
- Do not buy or eat romaine lettuce at a grocery store or restaurant unless you can confirm it is not from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region.
- Unless the source of the product is known, consumers anywhere in the United States who have any store-bought romaine lettuce at home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick. Product labels often do not identify growing regions; so, throw out any romaine lettuce if you’re uncertain about where it was grown. This includes whole heads and hearts of romaine, chopped romaine, and salads and salad mixes containing romaine lettuce. If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.
- Restaurants and retailers should not serve or sell any romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona growing region.The expanded warning is based on information from newly reported illnesses in Alaska. Ill people in Alaska reported eating lettuce from whole heads of romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona growing region.

I ran up the hill to get just a coupla things at Safeway (really don't like them, but it is what it is) and they had chopped, whole head, hearts and pre-made salad kits with Romaine Lettuce. No signs saying anything about city of origin, nothing... I took a pass :ohmy:
and bought Red Leaf Lettuce for our dinner tonight.

A small dinner salad was included in our takeout order last night. I opened the box, and oh drat, it was romaine. Out it went.

I called my Mother yesterday
and asked her to throw out any Romaine she might have.

Mom: Why?
Me: Mom, there's a recall on Romaine Lettuce. A farm in Yuma has e-coli
Mom: Oh, Yuma? y'know honey that's where my Father lived
Me: I know Mom, but did you see the news?
Mom: What news?
Me: Mom, just throw out your lettuce.
Mom: Why?

:LOL:
Love ya Mom! :kiss:

Ticks me off royal that it couldn't be iceberg, that I hate.

We buy Romain hearts by the three to the bag. It's all we use. The last bag we bought was about two weeks ago and we've had several salads from it without problem. At first I rationalized our bag was safe because we bought it long before the recall.
It's in the trash now.
Bummer.

Ticks me off royal that it couldn't be iceberg, that I hate.

We buy Romain hearts by the three to the bag. It's all we use. The last bag we bought was about two weeks ago and we've had several salads from it without problem. At first I rationalized our bag was safe because we bought it long before the recall.
It's in the trash now.
Bummer.

KL, here's a snippet from the CDC:
"As of April 9, 2018, 17 people infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7 have been reported from 7 states. A list of the states and the number of cases in each can be found on the Case Count Map page. Illnesses started on dates ranging from March 22, 2018 to March 31, 2018."

And from the Mayo Clinic:
"Signs and symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection typically begin three or four days after exposure to the bacteria, though you may become ill as soon as one day after to more than a week later"

YIKES :eek:

This warning has been updated to include all romaine lettuce sold in the United States whether chopped, whole or hearts. From the link above:

Posted April 20, 2018 4:00 PM EST

What's New?

Based on new information, CDC is expanding its warning to consumers to cover*all*types of romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona growing region. This warning now includes whole heads and hearts of romaine lettuce, in addition to chopped romaine and salads and salad mixes containing romaine.
- Do not buy or eat romaine lettuce at a grocery store or restaurant unless you can confirm it is not from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region...
You missed the "Yuma" part in your post. ;)

When I was out shopping yesterday, Market Basket had signage posted by their bagged lettuces verifying that they were not from Yuma, but had been grown and processed at such-and-such grower in CA. :ermm: I still passed them up. :LOL:

I ran up the hill to get just a coupla things at Safeway (really don't like them, but it is what it is) and they had chopped, whole head, hearts and pre-made salad kits with Romaine Lettuce. No signs saying anything about city of origin, nothing... I took a pass :ohmy:
and bought Red Leaf Lettuce for our dinner tonight.

CG, we had NO SIGNAGE here in AZ for crying out loud!
I should contact Safeway's Corporate Office !! :mad:

I got a reply from Safeway on Twitter:

"We removed products with chopped romaine from the Yuma area & changed source of supply. Now doing the same with full-leaf romaine from Yuma area. Bagged salads and other items w/ chopped romaine lettuce are currently sourced from regions not affected by the warning."

They missed my entire point!
Howz`bout some signage?
How the heck do I know this as a customer in your store,
standing there, looking at the different lettuces.
Put some dang sings up, like the other stores are doing, dag-nab-it! :mad:
Now I've lost my entire faith in Safeway!
I'll just have to drive the half a mile to KROGER !!!

It's the weekend, K-Girl. Safeway itself might have sent out a memo to all stores. It's possible that the store or produce manager hasn't seen the memo. Or ignored it. I'd start with the manager at the location you shop at first give them the once-over. ;)

FWIW, the Price Chopper just down the street from Market Basket didn't have a sign up.

You missed the "Yuma" part in your post. ;)

When I was out shopping yesterday, Market Basket had signage posted by their bagged lettuces verifying that they were not from Yuma, but had been grown and processed at such-and-such grower in CA. :ermm: I still passed them up. [emoji38]
I did? I see it there :ermm:

In a lawless land,

people use poopwater to irrigate their lettuce.

K-girl is here to give them life, or get life from them...

Ooh wee ooh wee oooooh
Wah wah wah

I, truly, do not mean to negate any warnings..

All I know is that I grew up next to the lettuce capital (Salinas Valley, CA) of the nation and the lack of sanitary facilities were highly evident.. I can't remember any recalls in the 40's 50's and 60's..

I kinda think that because kids were raised to play in dirt, our immune systems were much stronger.. But... what do I know? I only lived it..

Ross

I am constantly smearing dirt on kids, but then the police come and the healthy fun is over...

Back
Top Bottom