"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
Head Chef

America's Test Kitchen's New Home

ATK's new home:

Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Any clue where they were located before this?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Any clue where they were located before this?
Brookline, MA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Test_Kitchen
Old 02-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

WOW! Thanks for that.

Maybe a good reason why they left the house as I had heard that C. Kimble actually owned it?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:20 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
WOW! Thanks for that.

Maybe a good reason why they left the house as I had heard that C. Kimble actually owned it?
I don't know whether Kimball owned it, but I read this a while back. They moved because they needed more space and a better configuration for doing the TV shows. Apparently the control center shared space with the equipment storage room Can you imagine having hundreds of people working in a space that originally had 20 or so?

They also want to be more accessible to the public.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restau...-move-seaport/
Old 02-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't know whether Kimball owned it, but I read this a while back. They moved because they needed more space and a better configuration for doing the TV shows. Apparently the control center shared space with the equipment storage room Can you imagine having hundreds of people working in a space that originally had 20 or so?
]
I've never seen a control room with hundreds of people working in it at the same time. That's a bit of an exaggeration. Even those huge soundstages in Europe don't use that many control room ops.

I'm surprised they got away with moving things around and storing them in hallways and such for so long. It's against fire codes. We get in trouble from fire inspectors any time we put storage closets or spare equipment in hallways. Absolutely nothing can go in staircases, and God forbid an exit sign isn't perfectly visible. Fire Marshals will give us a warning before sending out fines if we don't find proper storage. It's a constant problem.

But most control rooms are pretty small. A lot of NFL productions are done with 15 people or so in the back of an 18 wheeler loaded to the gills with equipment. The ops have to step over each other to get in or out.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish I could have found the video about this move from a local TV show segment, GG. The article is interesting, but seeing the visual was a real eye-opener. I could never ever work under those crowded conditions. I'm not happy when someone intrudes into my 10x24 kitchen...but that's mostly because he's kibitzing and not helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I've never seen a control room with hundreds of people working in it at the same time. That's a bit of an exaggeration. Even those huge soundstages in Europe don't use that many control room ops...
But most control rooms are pretty small. A lot of NFL productions are done with 15 people or so in the back of an 18 wheeler loaded to the gills with equipment. The ops have to step over each other to get in or out.
I'm pretty sure GG wasn't referring to hundreds of video and sound techs in the room, but to the entire sum of people working in that small studio/kitchen/storage area, which includes all of the ATK staff. Besides the on-air talent (maybe a dozen when you count the various cooks they have demonstrating a particular dish), you have all of those food prep cooks and clean-up crew and ALL of the various people who make the show run smoothly and get hands-on work done. Except for the three weeks of taping, the control room isn't a control room, it's storage. It ain't always about the engineers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I'm surprised they got away with moving things around and storing them in hallways and such for so long. It's against fire codes. We get in trouble from fire inspectors any time we put storage closets or spare equipment in hallways. Absolutely nothing can go in staircases, and God forbid an exit sign isn't perfectly visible. Fire Marshals will give us a warning before sending out fines if we don't find proper storage. It's a constant problem.
ATK is considered to be one of Boston's little gems. I'm going to bet that the fire department knows what three weeks of the year they shouldn't be doing inspections, if ya know what I mean.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Old 02-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
You're thinking of the other ATK show, "Cook's Country". That is the one that is/was filmed in Christopher Kimball's house. The original show "America's Test Kitchen" was headquartered in a commercial building at 17 Station Street, Brookline.

A 2015 article about Christopher Kimball and his house in Rupert, VT: Christopher Kimball: Keeping it Real in Rupert

And a much earlier article (2008) about filming at the house: Take two at Cook's Country

For a look at the old ATK location in Brookline, a link to the Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/17...!4d-71.1175393

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Closed Thread

Tags
kitchen