America's Test Kitchen's New Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW! Thanks for that.

Maybe a good reason why they left the house as I had heard that C. Kimble actually owned it?

WOW! Thanks for that.

Maybe a good reason why they left the house as I had heard that C. Kimble actually owned it?
I don't know whether Kimball owned it, but I read this a while back. They moved because they needed more space and a better configuration for doing the TV shows. Apparently the control center shared space with the equipment storage room [emoji38] Can you imagine having hundreds of people working in a space that originally had 20 or so?

They also want to be more accessible to the public.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/2017/09/21/atk-brookline-photos-move-seaport/

Last edited:
I don't know whether Kimball owned it, but I read this a while back. They moved because they needed more space and a better configuration for doing the TV shows. Apparently the control center shared space with the equipment storage room [emoji38] Can you imagine having hundreds of people working in a space that originally had 20 or so?
]

I've never seen a control room with hundreds of people working in it at the same time. That's a bit of an exaggeration. Even those huge soundstages in Europe don't use that many control room ops.

I'm surprised they got away with moving things around and storing them in hallways and such for so long. It's against fire codes. We get in trouble from fire inspectors any time we put storage closets or spare equipment in hallways. Absolutely nothing can go in staircases, and God forbid an exit sign isn't perfectly visible. Fire Marshals will give us a warning before sending out fines if we don't find proper storage. It's a constant problem.

But most control rooms are pretty small. A lot of NFL productions are done with 15 people or so in the back of an 18 wheeler loaded to the gills with equipment. The ops have to step over each other to get in or out.

Last edited:
I wish I could have found the video about this move from a local TV show segment, GG. The article is interesting, but seeing the visual was a real eye-opener. I could never ever work under those crowded conditions. I'm not happy when someone intrudes into my 10x24 kitchen...but that's mostly because he's kibitzing and not helping. :LOL:

I've never seen a control room with hundreds of people working in it at the same time. That's a bit of an exaggeration. Even those huge soundstages in Europe don't use that many control room ops...
But most control rooms are pretty small. A lot of NFL productions are done with 15 people or so in the back of an 18 wheeler loaded to the gills with equipment. The ops have to step over each other to get in or out.
I'm pretty sure GG wasn't referring to hundreds of video and sound techs in the room, but to the entire sum of people working in that small studio/kitchen/storage area, which includes all of the ATK staff. Besides the on-air talent (maybe a dozen when you count the various cooks they have demonstrating a particular dish), you have all of those food prep cooks and clean-up crew and ALL of the various people who make the show run smoothly and get hands-on work done. Except for the three weeks of taping, the control room isn't a control room, it's storage. It ain't always about the engineers. :rolleyes:

I'm surprised they got away with moving things around and storing them in hallways and such for so long. It's against fire codes. We get in trouble from fire inspectors any time we put storage closets or spare equipment in hallways. Absolutely nothing can go in staircases, and God forbid an exit sign isn't perfectly visible. Fire Marshals will give us a warning before sending out fines if we don't find proper storage. It's a constant problem.
ATK is considered to be one of Boston's little gems. I'm going to bet that the fire department knows what three weeks of the year they shouldn't be doing inspections, if ya know what I mean. ;) ;)

You're thinking of the other ATK show, "Cook's Country". That is the one that is/was filmed in Christopher Kimball's house. The original show "America's Test Kitchen" was headquartered in a commercial building at 17 Station Street, Brookline.

A 2015 article about Christopher Kimball and his house in Rupert, VT: Christopher Kimball: Keeping it Real in Rupert

And a much earlier article (2008) about filming at the house: Take two at Cook's Country

For a look at the old ATK location in Brookline, a link to the Google map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...93c8b27ce00a9d!8m2!3d42.3327834!4d-71.1175393

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom