Anthony Bourdain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Dubaiu episode was a great example of what Bordain does and how well he does it. I do recommend any of his books. Kitchen Confidential is a must for anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant-whether it be a 5 star establishment or Denny's. I could relate to so many of his experiences working as a dishwasher, a buser, a server, right down to garbage duty. Restaurant people are different and unique and only those who have done those deeds can truly appreciate Bourdain to the fullest. (He says he only lives in New York maybe 2 months of the year). His wife stays home alot. Not for me. But, it seems to work for them. His wife went to visit her family and had a meal on one show. She seemed to be the quiet/practicle one..ha ha

I agree he can be fun to watch, but if you looking for cooking in the show, that's not really what it's about.

What it is about is bar hopping with food added as an afterthought.

i totally agree with you zhizara. i watched him a few times. he strikes me as drunk and probably does drugs too. he is "ugly american " that people in other countries hate. so his wife stays home while he roams about, drinking him self silly and eating bugs!!:ohmy:

He does have a great job. At least he's not doing his drinking locally and driving his family insane. Can you imagine being paid to barhop all over the world?

He was aheroin addict at one time. Still drinks, thats obvious. But, entertaining.

I'm not going to knock the guy cause folks whose opinion I respect really like the show. That kind of stuff is just not for me.

I sure wouldn't want to be his wife......I'm shocked to hear he has one.

I must confess though, that bad boy image is appealing to me, and sexy as all get out. Glad I was smart enough to not end up with that kind, but just the same.....he's fascinating in a weird and wild way. Goodness gracious, this Granny is having a hot flash. :blush:

I was actually just talking about him- I read Kitchen Confidential and then bought Medium Raw right after- I'm reading it now. It actually prompted a small blog post on the wonder that is Anthony Bourdain (highly-experimental.blogspot)... I have such mixed feelings about the man. He was a huge addict for a long time... and now has one of the coolest jobs in the world....yet we love him :)

I read Kitchen Confidential a few years ago. I thought it was a very interesting read...interesting character indeed.

i used to like his show a lot more, but he seems to be turning into a bar hopping rachael ray.

everything he eats is good so long as he's bombed. every place he visits is just great, even if you have to look past the poverty, gangs, or abusive government. he'll mention the problems, then go have a great time.

i used to like the fact that he seemed honest because not everything was great, and he said so. not so much anymore.

i changed the channel the other day when he had some kind of chicken from a street vendor and mentioned twice how perfectly cooked it was, and it was as good as he's ever had. :ermm: out of all of the great restaurants he's been to, that was the best?

what's next? drinking in a new city every week for under $40 a day?

what's next? drinking in a new city every week for under $40 a day?

That's pretty much what he doe in "No Reservations -- Boston" which is going to be on this Monday night.

He did the Irish neighborhood thing and ate subs and drank.

He was at 2 places a block away from myhouse but I missed him. I would have run over with some of my books for him to sign. I think I've read them all.

I find him hysterical and incredibly witty.

i changed the channel the other day when he had some kind of chicken from a street vendor and mentioned twice how perfectly cooked it was, and it was as good as he's ever had. :ermm: out of all of the great restaurants he's been to, that was the best?
He has often said he has gotten better food at street vendors than fancy restaurants. I don't find that such an outrageous idea.

agreed if you narrow your focus enough to believe a reality you think is real. lol, sorta kidding. do you really think a cart is equal to a restaurant? it could be, given factors of time and company, but that's a bit to be savoured be the individual. not that can be explained. not for tv, anyway.

i have to say i've watched.this season, as well as the previous seasons they've rebroadcast recently with increasing interest. largely because it always seems to me that the show is on air when i have the time to watch something, but also because of my strong statements in this thread. mind you, i'd be rooting for him as a local hero since he grew up just a few small towns away from where i did.

i have to say my opinion, professional as it may be with the fact that i watch more tv than almost anyone, plus that i know how many shows actually work, that mr. bourdain is a victim of bad editing, and bad post production. ya gotta remember a broadcast is what some after the fact decided was what their target demographic wanted to see.

i tried to look beyond that, beyond the alcoholism angle, which plainly harkens back to his old druggie days (for aurhenticity that he's baaaaad). to be honest, the cursing isn't out of the ordinary, and i realized much of his actual voice over input was that of a writer. hence his real successs. being a writer.

unfortunately, a writer on a reality show. not really a cooking/foodie show.

Last edited:
do you really think a cart is equal to a restaurant?
I think it can be, yes. A cart does not have the same ambiance that a fancy restaurant does, but both have kitchens that put out food. I see no reason to believe a cart could not put out food as delicious as a regular restaurant. One of my favorite things to eat is a hot Italian sausage with grilled onions. A cart can do that just as well as a fancy restaurant. Why not? and I get to eat outside which to me is a plus :)

I like his travel show. I definitely do consider it a travel show with cooking, not a cooking show. He doesn't teach how to cook. Usually, I end up wishing I was at wherever he happens to be.

Mr. Bourdain - along with his best bud, Chef Eric Ripert - is going to be in Charlottesville, VA, the end of October. I already have terrific 3rd row seats & CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :):mrgreen:

I loved kitchen confidential. I don't think I've read anything else by him. I usually like his shows, but agree they are travel and eating shows, not cooking. Sometimes his seemingly arrogant attitude gets to me, but on the other hand, he can be self-deprecating. And you can see some parts of travel to different cultures that other travel shows don't explore.

I agree, it's a travel show, but his books (I've read two,) have an unhealthy amount of foul language that I don't appreciate. I think I'll stick to the edited TV versions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom