"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #51
Master Chef

What I really didn't like about the show were its commercials, and I will watch the show again.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef

I watched one episode out of curiosity after reading the earlier part of this thread. I didn't care for it at all. She's trying too hard to be cool and her recipes are nothing to write home about.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
She's trying too hard to be cool and her recipes are nothing to write home about.
Well, I agree that she's trying too hard to be cool, it's pretty obvious to most I would imagine. Perhaps that's one element of the show that makes it interesting to some. But like I mentioned before I didn't find her jokes funny at all.
But also for someone like myself who is still in the basic learning stages of cooking, I find her recipes and demos fun to watch and easy to remember.
As a comparison in the complexity of recipes, for instance, I often find some of the Iron Chef recipes way over my head.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #54
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Well, I agree that she's trying too hard to be cool, it's pretty obvious to most I would imagine. Perhaps that's one element of the show that makes it interesting to some. But like I mentioned before I didn't find her jokes funny at all.
But also for someone like myself who is still in the basic learning stages of cooking, I find her recipes and demos fun to watch and easy to remember.
As a comparison in the complexity of recipes, for instance, I often find some of the Iron Chef recipes way over my head.
I'm not in the Iron Chef class either. It's not that her recipes are too easy. I just watched one episode and the recipes didn't appeal to me. That could change if I watched more.

It may be an enjoyable show for many folks, just not for me. Really it's because of the host, not the food.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

The problem for me is that she goes overboard and tries too hard and be some court jester instead of focusing on the food which aren't that great and most of her recipes are kinda weird. She has the right idea in sprucing things up but she needs to show some restraint and tone it down some and not make a mockery out of food which IMO she does with all the silly quasi Saturday night live comedy bits.

That's what happened to Emeril Live too, he became more a comedian than a chef and the food suffered.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #56
Wine Guy

I watched part of one episode about a month ago. It was like watching "Jersey Shore" in the kitchen. My assumption is that it's geared toward the younger crowd, though even our 19-year-old was not impressed, either. "Hot mess, but not really in a good way" I think was the phrase she used.

So it's not really my cup of tea. But think about this: if you had never before seen an episode of "Good Eats" and watched it for the first time, wouldn't some of you be inclined to think that it was unusual, and that Alton Brown was just playing some sort of nerdy character and trying too hard to be funny?

Bitchin' Kitchen has been on for close to two years now, so someone (aside from Kathleen) must like the show.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I watched part of one episode about a month ago. It was like watching "Jersey Shore" in the kitchen. My assumption is that it's geared toward the younger crowd, though even our 19-year-old was not impressed, either.

Bitchin' Kitchen has been on for close to two years now, so someone must like the show.
I'm 57, male, and still watch her when she's on. And like most, I don't particularly care for the food, but I do pick up a few tips here and there.
What I think I'm trying to say is that there's this kinky appeal about that chick.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #58
Executive Chef

Never heard of her. This thread is a couple years old. She must have staying power. And she uses Fur Lined Oven Mitts. GRrrr. I only peeked in on her on YouTube for a minute. Once is enough. Thanks though for this information.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #59
Half Baked

I tried a few times but it just didn't get any better.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #60
Cupcake

I admit that I still love her trashy, campy silliness AND her recipes. In fact, Santa brought me one of her cookbooks this past Christmas. A "hot mess" is accurate, but it is part of why I like her. The show cracks me up. I like "Good Eats" too. I don't like shows where the host is all business.

Another friend sent me "brass knuckles" meat tenderizer. Nadia would be jealous.