Chopped - TV Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know they still made candy cigs....

That was my response too! My mind started to think of how to put Steve's list together and I got to that and my mind shut down! I was like "where would you find candy cigs these days? they were terrible but goodness, my neices and nephew should experience them at least once. wonder where I can find them some ..."

Sorry Steve, too busy trying to figure out where I could find those to think of how to use your tasty list of ingredients :rolleyes:.

That was my response too! My mind started to think of how to put Steve's list together and I got to that and my mind shut down! I was like "where would you find candy cigs these days? they were terrible but goodness, my neices and nephew should experience them at least once. wonder where I can find them some ..."

Sorry Steve, too busy trying to figure out where I could find those to think of how to use your tasty list of ingredients :rolleyes:.

Just search online. Old Time Candy has it.

I would grab a potato, onion and asparagus from the pantry, make a tempura batter, and make tempura squid and vegetables, including the radishes. Then I would make a dipping sauce with the beer, melted candy cigs, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. I'd plate the tempura over shredded lettuce with a ramekin of dipping sauce on the side.

Being a culinary student, I am learning...so questions are all over in my head...

1. Tempura...and everything being fried...the lettuce would wilt. Yes? No?

2. Would the various oils not separate when making a dipping sauce. Please explain your opinion on why so much oil...frying then dipping in oils.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the education.

Being a culinary student, I am learning...so questions are all over in my head...

1. Tempura...and everything being fried...the lettuce would wilt. Yes? No?

2. Would the various oils not separate when making a dipping sauce. Please explain your opinion on why so much oil...frying then dipping in oils.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the education.

No problem! :)

1. When foods are fried at the proper temperature they absorb very little oil, because the steaming water inside the food pushes the oil away from the surface. So the lettuce might wilt a bit from the heat, but it's there mostly as a garnish, so no big deal.

2. Oyster sauce is very thick and makes a good emulsifier, like Dijon mustard in a vinaigrette, so it will stay together for the duration of the meal. I'm thinking a 2-oz. ramekin would be plenty.

There was only one oil in the dipping sauce. Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so you need very little of it in a dish or sauce, but it's very common in Asian cuisines. I think most fried foods are enhanced by having a sauce - think tartar sauce for fish, cocktail sauce for shrimp, ketchup for fries, etc.

Last edited:
No problem! :)

1. When foods are fried at the proper temperature they absorb very little oil, because the steaming water inside the food pushes the oil away from the surface. So the lettuce might wilt a bit from the heat, but it's there mostly as a garnish, so no big deal.

2. Oyster sauce is very thick and makes a good emulsifier, like Dijon mustard in a vinaigrette, so it will stay together for the duration of the meal. I'm thinking a 2-oz. ramekin would be plenty.

There was only one oil in the dipping sauce. Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so you need very little of it in a dish or sauce, but it's very common in Asian cuisines. I think most fried foods are enhanced by having a sauce - think tartar sauce for fish, cocktail sauce for shrimp, ketchup for fries, etc.

Thank you so much!!!

I loveeee it. Love watching what people come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have watched it a few times.
I wish food network would go back to their old format with just cooking shows and an occasional special like the cook offs. Tired of the restaurant make overs, cup cake competitions etc, I use to have the food channel on most of the time and now it is a hit and miss. Love the pioneer women.

Back
Top Bottom