"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I didn't know they still made candy cigs....
That was my response too! My mind started to think of how to put Steve's list together and I got to that and my mind shut down! I was like "where would you find candy cigs these days? they were terrible but goodness, my neices and nephew should experience them at least once. wonder where I can find them some ..."

Sorry Steve, too busy trying to figure out where I could find those to think of how to use your tasty list of ingredients .

Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
That was my response too! My mind started to think of how to put Steve's list together and I got to that and my mind shut down! I was like "where would you find candy cigs these days? they were terrible but goodness, my neices and nephew should experience them at least once. wonder where I can find them some ..."

Sorry Steve, too busy trying to figure out where I could find those to think of how to use your tasty list of ingredients .
Just search online. Old Time Candy has it.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
Proud American

I would get into the panic and start the Google search!

Your friend,
~Cat
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Letrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

I would grab a potato, onion and asparagus from the pantry, make a tempura batter, and make tempura squid and vegetables, including the radishes. Then I would make a dipping sauce with the beer, melted candy cigs, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. I'd plate the tempura over shredded lettuce with a ramekin of dipping sauce on the side.
Being a culinary student, I am learning...so questions are all over in my head...

1. Tempura...and everything being fried...the lettuce would wilt. Yes? No?

2. Would the various oils not separate when making a dipping sauce. Please explain your opinion on why so much oil...frying then dipping in oils.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the education.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrell View Post

Being a culinary student, I am learning...so questions are all over in my head...

1. Tempura...and everything being fried...the lettuce would wilt. Yes? No?

2. Would the various oils not separate when making a dipping sauce. Please explain your opinion on why so much oil...frying then dipping in oils.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the education.
No problem!

1. When foods are fried at the proper temperature they absorb very little oil, because the steaming water inside the food pushes the oil away from the surface. So the lettuce might wilt a bit from the heat, but it's there mostly as a garnish, so no big deal.

2. Oyster sauce is very thick and makes a good emulsifier, like Dijon mustard in a vinaigrette, so it will stay together for the duration of the meal. I'm thinking a 2-oz. ramekin would be plenty.

There was only one oil in the dipping sauce. Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so you need very little of it in a dish or sauce, but it's very common in Asian cuisines. I think most fried foods are enhanced by having a sauce - think tartar sauce for fish, cocktail sauce for shrimp, ketchup for fries, etc.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
They're in the basket! Actually, I just saw them on the counter at the pharmacy Friday.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 AM   #47
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Letrell
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

No problem!

1. When foods are fried at the proper temperature they absorb very little oil, because the steaming water inside the food pushes the oil away from the surface. So the lettuce might wilt a bit from the heat, but it's there mostly as a garnish, so no big deal.

2. Oyster sauce is very thick and makes a good emulsifier, like Dijon mustard in a vinaigrette, so it will stay together for the duration of the meal. I'm thinking a 2-oz. ramekin would be plenty.

There was only one oil in the dipping sauce. Sesame oil has a very strong flavor so you need very little of it in a dish or sauce, but it's very common in Asian cuisines. I think most fried foods are enhanced by having a sauce - think tartar sauce for fish, cocktail sauce for shrimp, ketchup for fries, etc.
Thank you so much!!!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #48
Assistant Cook

I loveeee it. Love watching what people come up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2014, 08:14 AM   #49
Head Chef

I have watched it a few times.
I wish food network would go back to their old format with just cooking shows and an occasional special like the cook offs. Tired of the restaurant make overs, cup cake competitions etc, I use to have the food channel on most of the time and now it is a hit and miss. Love the pioneer women.