Chopped - TV Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, that was a low blow, do you not have any imagination?
oh, c'mon, i was only teasing, hence the smiley.

and yes, i think i might be known for having a little imagination. but all of my jokes are intellectual property, though... :angel:
:mrgreen:

oh, c'mon, i was only teasing, hence the smiley.

and yes, i think i might be known for having a little imagination. but all of my jokes are intellectual property, though... :angel:
:mrgreen:

Sorry, having a bad day. I appreciate your humor. My bad.

no problem.

just tell us what's in a foiejita and we'll call it even...

pretend you're on chopped again. here's the ingredients in your basket: foie gras, <<fill in the blank>>
;)

The judges have, in fact, been contestants and impressive ones at that.

Yeah. I thought that was really fair of them to put the judges behind the counter. It gives them a perspective which they may have thought that they understood, but only really learn by being there.

I also liked the celebrity Chopped! with many of the other FN celebrity chefs. Watching accomplished chefs struggle and sweat over the weird ingredients was somehow gratifying to me. Makes me not feel quite so bad when I sometimes struggle as much with unfamiliar techniques as they do with the odd ingredients.

an episode of 'cupcake wars' came on my hulu a few days ago, and i stayed around to watch it. not my kind of thing usually, but it was interesting to see the process of cupcake making, and to watch different sorts of skills being used in the kitchen by these baking contestants. of course, it goes without saying that it all left me quite hungry...but the other thing was, it seemed to me that some of our dc bakers could have done as good, if not a better, job of it. i'm thinking of bakers like bakechef and lp, kades--others, i'm sure....:)

Last edited:
One of my favorite shows . . . The terminology is great and I usually learn something new about flavor combinations that I didn't know

I have the very little time for the television, but I like the Food Network and Chopped.

~Cat

I have learned very much of how to use difficult ingredients. When I watch the show, I write down notes.

~Cat

I love chopped! Food network is one of our favorite channels. It's something the whole family enjoys.

I enjoy "Chopped". Although we don't have cable anymore, I still watch it online from time to time.

So what would everyone here make with the following ingredients?

• Chocolate Stout Beer
  • Radishes
  • Squid
  • Candy Cigarettes

I enjoy "Chopped". Although we don't have cable anymore, I still watch it online from time to time.

So what would everyone here make with the following ingredients?

[*]Chocolate Stout Beer
[*]Radishes
[*]Squid
[*]Candy Cigarettes

I would grab a potato, onion and asparagus from the pantry, make a tempura batter, and make tempura squid and vegetables, including the radishes. Then I would make a dipping sauce with the beer, melted candy cigs, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. I'd plate the tempura over shredded lettuce with a ramekin of dipping sauce on the side.

it has it's merits, but otherwise i find it annoying to try to make chefs use odd ingredients to come up with a dish that makes a singularly inclusive result in a short period of time.

much like making foie gras into a fajita... :cool:

I think, Tom, that's the point. Truly great chefs...Masters of the craft...have to be able to just come up with superb dishes on the fly. That is what has me so empassioned with cooking. Anyone can follow a recipe...certainly nothing wrong with recipes. Thank the good Lord for them!!!!

But there is something so .... so.... what's the word I want.... satisfying? in knowing you can take sometimes ridiculous ingredients and turn them into delicious meals.

I HATE canned anything. I HATE processed foods. So when my husband comes in and says "I bought spaghetti sauce, it was cheaper", I no longer wince...I take the cans and work my magic. I put heart and soul into turning that can into something everyone "snarfs" down. I love that.

I watch Chopped. Not all the time, but I enjoy it. I enjoy seeing the Chefs and how they work. I can tell which ones will fail...not by their food, but by attitude and how they work in the kitchen.

After one episode of that show, "Sweet Treats"????? oh I can't remember... with Ron Ben-Israel (love that man's creations btw), Geoffrey Zaccharian issued a challenge on Twitter. He listed ingredients and I went for it. I thought what I made was very good. But I was so down on confidence that I never submitted it. Shame on me. Family loved it.

THAT to me, is a sign of a professional chef. To be able to take crap, and make it heavenly.

Try not to watch the show...LOL..just watch the show...if ya get my meaning.

btw....I know I sound like an idiot. LMAO!!!!!

Letrell

Well said. I'm not a chef by any stretch of the imagination. But as a mom sometimes I have to cook with what I have, not what I'd like to have. It makes for some interesting combinations. And I know that show has taught me a lot.

And yeah you can always tell the ones that will fail by their attitude! :LOL:

I think, Tom, that's the point. Truly great chefs...Masters of the craft...have to be able to just come up with superb dishes on the fly. That is what has me so empassioned with cooking. Anyone can follow a recipe...certainly nothing wrong with recipes. Thank the good Lord for them!!!!

But there is something so .... so.... what's the word I want.... satisfying? in knowing you can take sometimes ridiculous ingredients and turn them into delicious meals.

I HATE canned anything. I HATE processed foods. So when my husband comes in and says "I bought spaghetti sauce, it was cheaper", I no longer wince...I take the cans and work my magic. I put heart and soul into turning that can into something everyone "snarfs" down. I love that.

I watch Chopped. Not all the time, but I enjoy it. I enjoy seeing the Chefs and how they work. I can tell which ones will fail...not by their food, but by attitude and how they work in the kitchen.

After one episode of that show, "Sweet Treats"????? oh I can't remember... with Ron Ben-Israel (love that man's creations btw), Geoffrey Zaccharian issued a challenge on Twitter. He listed ingredients and I went for it. I thought what I made was very good. But I was so down on confidence that I never submitted it. Shame on me. Family loved it.

THAT to me, is a sign of a professional chef. To be able to take crap, and make it heavenly.

Try not to watch the show...LOL..just watch the show...if ya get my meaning.

btw....I know I sound like an idiot. LMAO!!!!!

Letrell

Back
Top Bottom