"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 10-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

That's the one. Thanks Wyogal!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Head Chef

I need a job "googling," I seem to do that well...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Old 10-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Master Chef

"The Food Network" lost me as a frequent viewer as soon as they switched their format to showman/woman personalities, stupid contests, & reality shows, & away from actual cooking. These days, the only show I tune in regularly is Alton Brown's "Good Eats". I find him amusing, & also enjoy the way he can explain the science behind cooking without sounding pedantic. Even kids can learn something from his shows, sometimes without even realizing it - lol! The rest of them can go climb a rope.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Cook

I'm not as far along or into cooking as much, as you
guys, probably...I still find them informative but I'm
not a regular veiwer of cooking programs to begin
with...got many more irons in the fire...they do tend
to mess-up alot of pots & pans...I'd have to have to
clean-up behind'em........................................B H51
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I've pretty much stopped watching Food Network except for some actual cooking shows.

I have no time for the challenges and "Dancing with the Stars/Survivor" type shows. They are all so fake and drawn out it's ridiculous.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #17
Mr. Greenjeans

I find I watch them less for the actual recipes and more for the ideas. That is one of the things I still love about the original Iron Chef. I watched the combination of ingredients and got ideas from "tasting" the combos.

Most recently, Chen Kenichi was making a pork shoulder with prunes and crushed pineapple as the base and glaze. I was totally blown away by the mental taste I got of pork and prunes.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

Just to clear up what I originally said, I do appreciate the food networks ability to introduce new ideas, cuisines, ingredients. Because of their big budgets, wide spread popularity and 24/7 availability, I am able to see so many things. But for me personally, the pbs shows just seem to sit better with me. Im not sure Id consider myself someone who doesnt like change, as Im always looking for something new to try. But in my opinion, I just dont like the catchy phrases, and cult like followings. I dont like feeling like I should like someone just because they are popular, bring in good ratings, or their face pops up everywhere you look, as if they are trying to force-feed you their informative crap. That said, I feel you can learn something from anyone or any situation, and I prefer to watch a cooking show, than some of the stupid sitcoms that are just copying the old classic sitcoms, just with new characters.

But what I find kinda funny ( especially when watching 'the next food network star' or whatever it is called), is that in one breath, they tell these people to be themselves and portray their own style and philosophy about cooking, yet when they do this, they get criticized for being boring, not taking risks .... And when they do take the risks, or try to reach out of their comfort zone, they get eliminated off, or reprimanded by the judges for not sticking to their true selves. The hippocracy drives me crazy. Every episode shows this, and I feel like slapping the judges every time I see it.

Id also love to see some of those nasty , mr/mrs know it all judges try some of these challenges themselves, and see how well they do.

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I guess I should get back to work

Have a nice day everyone, I guess i just needed to vent,

larry
Old 10-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Head Chef

My whole point about my last rant, was that the network executives obviously have this image of people they want in their network, and it appears as if they are trying to mold these people into these images, instead of some of the older chefs from pbs shows, that kinda let them be who they are. So we were able to appreciate who they are, not who someone wants them to be.

(I understand it is a business, and that is their job to have people who can bring in viewers, so I dont blame that at all from a business point of view).

Now Ill go :)

larry
Old 10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

And one more thing ....

Joke,

I think ive exhausted myself on this topic.