"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Executive Chef
I remember both of them, but I wouldn't eat anything Justin Wilson cooked. He always kept that napkin/handkerchief/dishtowel handy and wiped everything with it - including his nose.

Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Master Chef
I was, and still am, a big Jeff "The Frugal Gourmet" Smith fan! Let's see - he taped how many shows(?) and put out 10 books - a couple of mistakes out of 10 cookbooks isn't too shabby. As for the allegations against him (which I'm not convinced were true) should not be apart of the things and the recipes he shared with us as the Frug. Ah, yes - PBS ... the birthplace of real cooking shows!

re Justin Wilson ... tis a far better thing that he wiped his nose than letting it drip into the dishes he was preparing!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
His show was one of the first cooking shows I watched. I don't believe the allegations against him. One thing I always enjoyed about his perspective was how he kept alive the idea of learning about your history/culture thru what you ate.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I do remember Jeff Smith. I watched his show a lot and was saddened to read about the allegations against him. I still use his cookbooks occasionally. He was very entertaining and I missed him after he lost his show. Never thought of him as creepy.
Yup yup yup!
sketch182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
Senior Cook
I don't think anything came from the allegations. They did ruin a fantastic career. I never missed his show and own some of his cookbooks, as well.
Essiebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Master Chef
i loved "the frug"!! remember this?

i watched alot of PBS. i learned so much from jeff, julia, jacques, madeline kamen and natilie dupree (i hated when she left her rings on while mixing dough and biscuits and such with her hands).
Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I do remember him very well, watched his show on PBS every week. I also have a few of his cookbooks..........the best cheesecake I have ever had is from his Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook.
marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
Senior Cook
I enjoyed the Frugal Gourmet, I had no idea about the allegations though. As far as Justin Wilson wiping his nose on his omnipresent checkered towel ... I have seen many a chef let their sweat drip into the food instead of wiping it off too I'm a big fan of bandannas in the kitchen myself ... kind of solves the sweat issue.
"A man has to believe in something ... I believe I'll have another drink."
freefallin1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
I do not understand what one thing has to do with the other. I truly loved Jeff Smith and his cooking shows. I learned a lot from him. What a great man
At my age Happy Hour means a nap in the afternoon
goodgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
Sous Chef
I remember both of them and watched both of their shows.
What a sad thing to happen to Mr. Smith. I hope it wasn't true but, that has nothing to do with his cooking IMHO.

chefkathleen is offline   Reply With Quote