Do you remember Jeff Smith?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i own all of the frug's cookbooks

So, have your read the recipe for Birds' Nest Soup ????? :ohmy::ohmy: I think it's in: The Frugal Gourment Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines - China, Greece, and Rome. Very interesting to say the least :).

So, have your read the recipe for Birds' Nest Soup ????? :ohmy::ohmy: I think it's in: The Frugal Gourment Cooks Three Ancient Cuisines - China, Greece, and Rome. Very interesting to say the least :).
i haven't read it in a very long time sweetie. i bought that like 20 years ago. i can't remember it, now i'm gonna have to go dig it up LOL :LOL:

i haven't read it in a very long time sweetie. i bought that like 20 years ago. i can't remember it, now i'm gonna have to go dig it up LOL :LOL:

According to the Frug, it is one of the most famous soups in China, and it uses real birds' nests. I will let you read about the regurgitated gelatinous liquid on your own :ROFLMAO:.

I really do love his cookbooks, especially his dim sum recipes/techniques/etc. in the Chinese sections.

i remember it on the show and that i would never eat it. i didn't remember anything but the nests. i guess i was trying to forget!! LOL :LOL: i don't hink i will dig that book out!! i do have: cooks italian, whole family, american and gourmet and celebrates christmas on the top shelf of my book.

Heck yah I remember Jeff Smith! I have an entire series of his cooking videos, a series of Julia Child videos, a series of Jacques Pepin videos.

Those were the great PBS triple threat!

According to the Frug, it is one of the most famous soups in China, and it uses real birds' nests. I will let you read about the regurgitated gelatinous liquid on your own :ROFLMAO:.

I really do love his cookbooks, especially his dim sum recipes/techniques/etc. in the Chinese sections.

Well, here's a dirty little secret - when I was in Hong Kong I had both Shark Fin Soup and Bird's Nest Soup in the same night. My parents had gone out for the evening and I was just getting over some extremely harsh food poisoning I got in Taiwan. I was still eating soups and such. I got them both and absolutely loved them both. My Dad was mad because I didn't leave him a bite of ANY of it! :LOL:

I love Jeff's Smith recipe for phyllo dough - it simply says "buy it" :LOL:

Pretty interesting:

bns1lhm.jpg

http://www.luxist.com/2009/02/03/expensive-eats-birds-nest-soup/

YouTube - Birds Nest Soup - Thailand

Last edited:
Supposedly, after having had much success with his show and books, Jeff Smith had assistants that accused him of pressuring them for other than things cooking related, to keep their jobs. They were no innocents.

As a cook with a TV show...he had entertaining opinions about cooking.

I sort of liked his personality on the TV, but I picked up one of his early books and it was a joke! I mean he had a recipe for hot chicken wings that had no hot ingredient in it? The book was filled with omissions like this and the index was messed up too. I started to lose respect for him.

THen I noticed one day on his show how he had to repeatedly refer to note cards for silliest things. I recall him actually looking down and having to remember "Oh yes and add salt and pepper." THis is from a note card!

I dunno it is possible that he may have had memory problems at that pt. or perhaps he was simply good at being an onstage presence but didnt have real command of the ingredients. As an onstage performer he certainly had that camera loved him feel..

He was open about being gay at least near the end. My gf at the time was doing food PR and visited him/SO at his home. He was joking about it when she left his house and as she was total stranger I guess he was open about it. Sorry to hear about the allegations.

Back
Top Bottom