Dole recalls bagged salads due to listeria risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/03/dole-expands-bagged-salad-recall-to-the-u-s-due-to-listeria/

Dole Fresh Vegetables has expanded its voluntary recall of bagged salad to the U.S. after initially issuing a recall in Canada. The concern is that some of the products may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.

The products being recalled are Dole Italian Blend (UPC 7143000819), Fresh Selections Italian Style Blend (UPC 1111091045), Little Salad Bar Italian Salad (UPC 4149811014) and Marketside Italian Style Salad (UPC 8113102780) coded A058201A or B, with use-by date of March 12, 2014.

The product code and use-by date are in the upper right-hand corner of the package; the UPC code is on the back of the package, below the barcode.

The salads were distributed in 15 U.S. states: Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia. They were also distributed in three Canadian provinces: New Brunswick, Ontario, and Quebec.

Listeria monocytogenes can be very serious----and I appreciate that here in this country we have the FDA checking for pathogens in our food.

I hope the process of checking will speed up soon.

"The methods for analysis of food are complex and time-consuming. The present U.S. FDA method, revised in September 1990, requires 24 and 48 hours of enrichment, followed by a variety of other tests. Total time to identification takes from five to seven days, but the announcement of specific nonradiolabelled DNA probes should soon allow a simpler and faster confirmation of suspect isolates.

Recombinant DNA technology may even permit two- to three-day positive analysis in the future. Currently, the FDA is collaborating in adapting its methodology to quantitate very low numbers of the organisms in foods."

Listeria monocytogenes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From OSHA ----Occup. Safety and Health Standards for Agriculture

1928.110(c)(2)(iii)
Toilet and handwashing facilities shall be accessibly located an in close proximity to each other. The facilities shall be located within a one-quarter-mile walk of each hand laborer's place of work in the field.
1928.110(c)(2)(iv)
Where due to terrain it is not feasible to locate facilities as required above, the facilities shall be located at the point closest vehicular access.
1928.110(c)(2)(v)
Toilet and handwashing facilities are not required for employees who perform field work for a period of three (3) hours or less (including transportation time to and from the field) during the day.

These thing always interest me.

According to the report I read they found this in a sample of products with an expiration date of March 12, 2014 and they issued the recall March 13, 2014.

It sounds more like they got caught, shame on them.

Back
Top Bottom