Down Home with the Neelys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pal of Pork

Assistant Cook
I really like the Neelys and their twist to common dishes. I was watching a recent episode about pulled pork. They said to cook their "pulled pork" to 165 degrees?? They have a BBQ Resturant in Memphis and i know they can cook, BUT I cant even get the bone in a Boston Butt to pull out til @ 190 degrees ish. Was this a typo in their script??
POP :pig:

I agree. 165 F is not pulled pork. It's well done pork roast.

I have encountered mistakes like this in shows on a regular basis. Sometimes hosts just babble to fill the air while they are doing something.

Lots of references to this online, and the "experts" say that pulled pork done low and slow can be put aside as it will continue cooking, and that it's easier to 'pull' the pork at 180F but to never exceed 190F.

i usually turn the channel when the neely's come on. why? all the silly banter filled with sexual overtones. the huggy, kissy, wiggling , etc. some of the dishes that they cook, (watched til got sick of by play) seem to be good. some are far out using dishes i grew up on near memphis. lots of people like the show. not me

Same here. I find them having some good ideas but all the horse play makes me gag.
kades

That makes it unanimous! I can't watch them either for all the reasons already stated. So if we're a good sample, then who the hell is watching them!

I agree, there is too much lolly gagging around. I always wonder how much of the recipes used in their show and others like theirs are actually their own.

I haven't actually watched a whole show of the Neelys but I've seen snipets here and there and I think they're adorable. And I am shallow enough to even enjoy the sexual overtones and "huggy kissy wiggling" ;).

The media likes variety with shock value (albeit mild in this case). Are there any other cooking shows that are a husband and wife team? I rest my case.

And it's refreshing to see a couple that get's along well enough in the entertainment world that can last through a whole show...tsk tsk

Ya'll must be gagging over my avatar...hehe

I agree, there is too much lolly gagging around. I always wonder how much of the recipes used in their show and others like theirs are actually their own.

I wonder that about many of the tv cooks. It isn't the usual thing to see recipes that are entirely new - most are changes here and there to achieve a different dish. I've heard Paula say something about when she was "formulating" a recipe - only to know that it has been around for ages only she adds more butter, mayo or cream cheese. It is refreshing when I do see someone with a very new dish.

one more for "unwatchable" due to the banter and inuendo. is it supposed to be cute? i wouldn't visit relatives that acted like that every time they cooked, let alone subject myself to them in my own home, which is in the nature of tv broadcasting.

some might argue that it's important to have more people of african descent on tv, but not if they suck. bad tv is bad tv, even in black and white.

hi def black and white, of course.

I wonder that about many of the tv cooks. It isn't the usual thing to see recipes that are entirely new - most are changes here and there to achieve a different dish. It is refreshing when I do see someone with a very new dish.
At this point in the history of our planet, in the world of cooking, there's nothing really new under the sun is there? You can give it a clever new name, add a quirky ingredient, change it's presentation, tweak it here and there...but "a rose by any other name is still a rose"...agree?

I agree!!! Oh I so agree!!! There are a couple of new cookbooks on "Southern" cooking where the recipes have been so Adulterized, Francoized and Bastardized to the point that a Southern Grandma wouldn't/couldn't recognize them.. Let alone the new Artsy Fartsy, Hoity Toity name for the dish....Yet to the uninformed, misinformed, and gullible neophytes, they suck it up hook, line, and sinker as Southern cooking. ~~ Bless there hearts!!!:rolleyes:

PS...I didn't realize the Neely fiasco was still on the air.......

Yes, if they turned down the "cute factor" some I could watch them. But right now it just far too "sweet".

And yet another vote for totally unwatchable due to the cutesy "gimmee some sugar, honey" b.s. antics. Good friggin grief. Haven't watched them since their very first one or two episodes. Gag City.

i grew up near memphis. lots of people like the show. not me
:ROFLMAO:As a fourth generation Native Memphian (we escaped due to the high crime rates and fortunately landed in Tejas over 25 years ago), the Neelys are a joke! I still have friends and family there, and not a one of them has ever been to the Neely's "Interstate BBQ". When I watched one of their first episodes, one of their recipes was for "Jello Poke Cake", a recipe that was presented as an old family heirloom recipe. They're gross and inappropriate. Gimme a break! We were also on a Champion Memphis in May BBQ cooking team. These people do not know how to cook a pig!:pig: I guess it's all about who you know, and . . . .

I thought they were a cooking show, but I was mistaken it's a watch Gina sing and dance show...I love off key singing don't you...good thing were aren't paying their wages they would starve....
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom