"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 06-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Egg rationing in America has officially begun

Due to an epidemic of swine flu sweeping chicken farms in the United States, 46 million birds have been affected since April, mostly laying hens. The only way to control it is to destroy them.

Egg rationing in America has officially begun - The Washington Post

Old 06-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Very sad - the ripple effects from this could be huge.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

That's the problem with the egg industry--battery farms without regulations, inspections, etc. So glad I have my own laying hens. I know they are happy hens, healthy, get out in the sunshine, do what hens do.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Egg rationing in America has officially begun

I'm driving to CWS's place and adopting a couple of her hens. Beagle would love them.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm driving to CWS's place and adopting a couple of her hens. Beagle would love them.
Drive on, DL. It takes about 24 hours to get here from LOW!
Old 06-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That's the problem with the egg industry--battery farms without regulations, inspections, etc. So glad I have my own laying hens. I know they are happy hens, healthy, get out in the sunshine, do what hens do.
That's fine for you. People who live in cities and towns ( probably more than 95% of the population) don't have that option. They depend on the those farms that you deplore. I can mostly get by without eggs for a while if I have to, but for many people it's a significant part of their diet. Those people will have a difficult time adapting until the industry recovers. I feel for them.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
That's fine for you. People who live in cities and towns ( probably more than 95% of the population) don't have that option. They depend on the those farms that you deplore. I can mostly get by without eggs for a while if I have to, but for many people it's a significant part of their diet. Those people will have a difficult time adapting until the industry recovers. I feel for them.
Actually, 82% of people live in urban areas.

I don't care where you live--you don't have to buy eggs from a battery farm. I live in a city with a population over 1 million people. Everyone has the option to not buy eggs from battery farms. The condition in which the hens are kept is deplorable. Go to a farmer's market, go to a health food store, pay more for the eggs and know you are not supporting a battery farm, or stop eating eggs. Battery farms are akin to puppy mills.

The hens cannot stretch their wings, dirt bath, scratch for food, etc. They never get to sun bathe. They don't know what it feels like to walk on grass. All they can do is produce eggs and they are kept confined in conditions where if another hen dies, the body doesn't necessarily get removed. It just remains there until the workers get around to removing it. Eggs from the farm gate or the local health food store will taste totally different than the eggs from the battery farm hens. And, farm gate eggs from the small producer come from happy hens. Back in the '30s. '40s, and '50s, people kept hens. My mom grew up with laying hens, as did my dad. He lived in the middle of St. Paul, MN. We need to get people back to having a small flock of laying hens (3-5 birds, small coop). A garden, a few hens...works for me.

Chickens are very intelligent. In many States, chickens are recognized as therapy animals and visit Alzheimer's. patients They do not deserve to be treated as "dumb" birds. I'd suggest that you get 2-3 laying hens and a little coop there in Logan, Colorado. I imagine you could.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Drive on, DL. It takes about 24 hours to get here from LOW!

And about an additional 15 hours from here along the Mississippi!
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have to agree with CWS on this. It's a big problem with battery farms for chickens.

If CWS's chickens got the Avian flu, I'm sure she would just take extra good care of them until they got over it. It's the flu. I imagine she would isolate the healthy chickens from the ones with the flu. You can't really do that in a battery farm.

I live in the suburbs. I am not allowed to have chickens. I buy organic, free range eggs at the health food store and sometimes at Loblaws/Provigo, a Canadian chain of supermarkets. Sure, it costs me $7.99 for a dozen eggs, but I know the chickens were raised humanely and the eggs have more flavour.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have to agree with CWS on this. It's a big problem with battery farms for chickens.

If CWS's chickens got the Avian flu, I'm sure she would just take extra good care of them until they got over it. It's the flu. I imagine she would isolate the healthy chickens from the ones with the flu. You can't really do that in a battery farm.

I live in the suburbs. I am not allowed to have chickens. I buy organic, free range eggs at the health food store and sometimes at Loblaws/Provigo, a Canadian chain of supermarkets. Sure, it costs me $7.99 for a dozen eggs, but I know the chickens were raised humanely and the eggs have more flavour.
Key words: raised humanely. Yes I eat meat. I don't eat it every day, but I do buy meat from farmers who have raised their animals humanely. Going to the supermarket, you'd never buy beef from a steer named "Conrad".

We all make choices. I choose to eat fish that is from sustainable fishing practices. I choose to buy local grass-fed beef and lamb and naturally raised pork. I eat less meat and more vegetarian meals because I can't afford to eat grass-feed and naturally raised every day. Since having laying hens, I don't eat chicken except when I have to cook it for the food photographer.

If you haven't been to Montreal, well, it is a challenge to drive in Montreal and it is a fairly large city--I think it is bigger than Ottawa...

Tags
egg