Fanny Cradock - A Blast From The Past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
(For the uninitiated Fanny Craddock was a "lady" cook who, with her husband, Johnny, demonstrated cooking (wearing an evening gown, for heaven's sake!) on television in the UK in the 50s-70s).

I woke early on Christmas morning (excitement, I suppose:rolleyes:) so I went downstairs to watch television. On the Food Network UK I watched several episodes of FC's Christmas shows from the mid '70s which I'd never seen. She was, by all accounts, a very unpleasant woman and is much maligned and ridiculed in Britain these days although a number of chefs and cookery writers acknowledge a debt to her. Watching her I was quite surprised at how sensible some of her comments were (and I discovered a way with choux pastry that solved problems I'd had with it in the past!).

I've watched her videos on youtube and am fascinated with her. I've watched the movie that was made as well.

Thanks for the little history Mad. I had to Google Fanny and she seems to have been a very colorful character in her day. I watched one video "Kitchen Magic" OMG what a hoot.
Reading about her on Wikipedia it mentioned another British cook, who inspired me as well as a ton of other Canadians....Graham Kerr. It was his influence that gave me the interest in cooking.

The show that kind of ended it all for her when she sat and criticized the home cook, essentially changing the menu to what SHE thought was more appropriate, was really uncomfortable to watch. Seeing her constantly look at the French chef looking for validation of her ideas, and seeing that her ego took over any sense that she had was actually quite sad. You can see that life had really messed her up. Under that arrogant facade, she was probably an insecure mess. Those that appear over confident and arrogant usually are very insecure.

When I see Fanny Craddock videos I think of bolas!

The thing I like about Fanny and some of the other early TV cooking personalities is that they were not afraid to fail and with live television you did see them fail! They gave me the confidence to try making these dishes at home without spending a fortune on gadgets and appliances. That is one of the big reasons I enjoy Jacque Pepin, nothing seem to phase him he just keeps on cooking.

When I see Fanny Craddock videos I think of bolas!
ahh yes.my big brother,bolas,is an ardent admirer of hers.one of his favourite bbc prog's,of her's,was "how to make your doughnuts taste like fannies" wasn't it,aunty;)?
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/old-favorite-from-the-past-72000-2.html
isn't it amazing how the wheel has turned full circle?she was a drunk & a bully.the bbc dropped her like a hot brick when she reduced a contestant,on a cooking show she was judging,to tears.it ended her career.now the tv companies pay gordon ramsay,et al,fortunes to do just that.

Last edited:
In the 70s, when I was a 're-entry' student, getting my degree and certificate in Dental Hygiene so I could earn a decent living after a divorce, we were given the assignment of making a video for Humanities or something.

I was the star, of course:rolleyes:, and the other 2 were in charge of recording etc.

I wore a granny dresss, granny glasses (easy to find back then) and gave a faux cooking demo a la Julia Child. I kept tippling from a wine bottle and the cake batter kept getting messier and messier----- and so did I.

I can't remember what grade we got, but evidently it was o.k. because I graduated.:angel:

Thanks for the little history Mad. I had to Google Fanny and she seems to have been a very colorful character in her day. I watched one video "Kitchen Magic" OMG what a hoot.
Reading about her on Wikipedia it mentioned another British cook, who inspired me as well as a ton of other Canadians....Graham Kerr. It was his influence that gave me the interest in cooking.
(Digging into memory) Was Graham Kerr "The Galloping Gourmet"? I vaguely remember him as one of the first "fun" cooks on television.

(Digging into memory) Was Graham Kerr "The Galloping Gourmet"? I vaguely remember him as one of the first "fun" cooks on television.

Yes! Loved him! Couldn't wait to get home from school to watch him.

Back
Top Bottom