"Farmhouse Rules"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
"Food Network UK " has started broadcasting "Farmhouse Rules" over here and I'm really enjoying it. Can't remember the name of the presenter - Nancy something - but she's restoring my faith in American cooking - "Pioneer Woman" 's family would starve to death if she ever ran out of chillis!

Do any of you watch Nancy or am I just a sad old baggage?

Yes, I've watched a few of her shows. It was a while ago so I remember I enjoyed her style but not specific recipes or a menu.

I especially loved the decor! :LOL:

We've watched her show on occasion and she does have some good looking recipes, but I too find her extremely annoying after a certain amount of exposure.

I can't stand her voice so I avoid that show.

I find her horribly annoying for some reason …. she comes off as being very full of herself. Also not a fan of her food.

She is a judge on Duff's baking shows, too.

We've watched her show on occasion and she does have some good looking recipes, but I too find her extremely annoying after a certain amount of exposure.

I agree with all of you 110%!

She is in the same annoying, arrogant catagory as Snobby Flay.

I watched a couple of her shows on youtube last night as I hadn't known about her.

I found her a real turnoff. I'd hate for anyone to think she's a good example of an American cook.

ALMOST all (but not all) TV Celeb'bratty' chefs are egotistical, etc, etc.

they ALL become annoying after a while - just go for the recipe...

Even magazines - in particular Cooks Illustrated is one I'm referring to at the moment - has the annoying habit of 'putting down' old recipes as in "tired of dry, overcooked ***? We set out to rectify that." Well, quite a few recipes that they are talking about, as far as I'm concerned are NOT dry or overcooked when I make them.

Doesn't mean I don't like their version - I often do... I just don't like the way they put down the other recipe. It's almost as if they "have" to start off their blurb with it.

I find her horribly annoying for some reason …. she comes off as being very full of herself. Also not a fan of her food.

She is a judge on Duff's baking shows, too.

I rather like her style.

I don't watch cookery competition shows so I don't know what she's like on those. As for her recipes, as a "foreigner", I find them interesting. Unfortunately, many of the American shows we get on Food Network UK tend to lean towards the "a packet of this and a can of that" school of cooking. So far Nancy Thing-y doesn't seem to be in that class.

But what do I know - I even like "The Barefoot Contessa's" shows!!!

I gather that she used to teach cookery. I was a teacher too (though not of cookery) so perhaps it takes one to appreciate one.

"Food Network UK " has started broadcasting "Farmhouse Rules" over here and I'm really enjoying it. Can't remember the name of the presenter - Nancy something...
Nancy Fuller. We don't have cable, but I do remember seeing her on "The Chew" once or twice. I remember thinking that her last name was a wee bit appropriate - Nancy "Full-er-Herself". She wasn't just self-assured, she seemed smug about it.

...But what do I know - I even like "The Barefoot Contessa's" shows!!!
She's also been a regular guest on "The Chew". She's a celebrity cook I really enjoy. I would not mind living next door to Ina Garten at all. In my opinion, she comes across very approachable and down-to-earth. Another TV cook that could be my neighbor would be Sara Moulton. Early in her career she was an assistant to Julia Child. Can't get much better for someone to have as a role model.

I gather that she used to teach cookery. I was a teacher too (though not of cookery) so perhaps it takes one to appreciate one.
No, she has never taught anything. What a weird thing to say. My husband is a teacher and I certainly appreciate him. Of course, if he had an annoying voice and manner, we would never have been married for 34 years [emoji38]

Although I haven't gone back to check out the various shows specifically - I appreciate being able to SEE and visualize a recipe coming together.
Ergo I like Nigella, Nancy, Michael Smith and Ina. Not all though - Can't say I care for Giada, Bobby F, and.... (oops gone blank..).

I do like and usually watch Iron Chef America - but dislike the other contesting shows pitting some really good cooks against - not each other but the whims and foibles of chefs - it is dependent entirely on their own likes and dislikes. Food tastes are so completely subjective!

Cooks Illustr. gets credit for their videos going along with their recipes in the magazine. Available free for a certain length of time to non-members (or anytime for paying members)

No, she has never taught anything. What a weird thing to say. My husband is a teacher and I certainly appreciate him. Of course, if he had an annoying voice and manner, we would never have been married for 34 years [emoji38]
On the blurb it says she taught cookery as well as the rest.

And I was j-o-k-i-n-g in my reference to teachers, Gotgarlic!

She's also been a regular guest on "The Chew". She's a celebrity cook I really enjoy. I would not mind living next door to Ina Garten at all. In my opinion, she comes across very approachable and down-to-earth. Another TV cook that could be my neighbor would be Sara Moulton. Early in her career she was an assistant to Julia Child. Can't get much better for someone to have as a role model.
I haven't come across Sara Moulton. I'll look out for her.

Although I haven't gone back to check out the various shows specifically - I appreciate being able to SEE and visualize a recipe coming together.
Ergo I like Nigella, Nancy, Michael Smith and Ina. Not all though - Can't say I care for Giada, Bobby F, and.... (oops gone blank..).

I do like and usually watch Iron Chef America - but dislike the other contesting shows pitting some really good cooks against - not each other but the whims and foibles of chefs - it is dependent entirely on their own likes and dislikes. Food tastes are so completely subjective!

Cooks Illustr. gets credit for their videos going along with their recipes in the magazine. Available free for a certain length of time to non-members (or anytime for paying members)
Nigella Lawson is OK on TV and I have her books (mostly gifts from friends) but I wouldn't give her books to anyone who doesn't have a good grip on basic cookery. She makes sometimes silly mistakes as well as potentially drastic ones!

I don't think I've come across Bobby F.

We've had an actress I've never heard of, Valerie Bertinelli, on Food Network UK recently. Entertaining but not educational. (Crumbs, that sounds patronising - I didn't mean it to!)

There's been a series on BBC TV recently with Raymond Blanc demo'ing French dishes. Now that was worth watching! (I cut my serious cooking teeth on Elizabeth David!) If it comes your way it's worth watching.

Many years ago the BBC (I think) ran a series presented by Jane Grigson. I keep hoping that will be aired again. If it comes up on F.N. or you come across her books snap her up. I have them all and some of them have disintegrated through wear and I've had to replace them (as I have with E. David!). My new copies of the veg book and the fruit book have American translations as "the English and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language", not the least when it comes to fruit and veg :).

Yes, I like Anna O as well. I found her videos on meringues very helpful.

Bobby F (Flay) American Iron Chef, multiple TV shows and multiple restaurants. Specialties are grilling, barbecue, southwestern flavours.

Back
Top Bottom