"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I like Chopped, Master Chef, Rick Bayless's Mexico One Plate at a Time, Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction and Beat Bobby Flay (we DVR the new episodes). I also watch Barefoot Contessa and Pioneer Woman sometimes.

I have a TV in the kitchen, so I often have the Food Network on when I'm in there during the day, preparing for dinner or processing garden veggies. Usually I'm only half paying attention, but I pick up ideas sometimes

I swear I'm not addicted to food TV
Are you sure about that Garlic.....lol. Well I am addicted to food blogs you should see my favorites on my computer ...lol

Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie69 View Post
Are you sure about that Garlic.....lol. Well I am addicted to food blogs you should see my favorites on my computer ...lol
Maybe I'm just in denial...

I forgot to mention Food Truck Road Trip. DH likes it, and I like Tyler Florence, so we DVR that, too.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:27 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Maybe I'm just in denial...

I forgot to mention Food Truck Road Trip. DH likes it, and I like Tyler Florence, so we DVR that, too.
OMG !!!!!!! I can just imagine how overloaded that dvr is.......lol ! I like the Drive ins (Sorry i can't think of the whole title of the show ) and the host (also forot his name)but what is that with the sunglasses behind his head ...? )
Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie69 View Post
OMG !!!!!!! I can just imagine how overloaded that dvr is.......lol ! I like the Drive ins (Sorry i can't think of the whole title of the show ) and the host (also forot his name)but what is that with the sunglasses behind his head ...? )
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri! Several restaurants in my area have been on the show. I have it on sometimes when I'm making dinner, but that's one that I often don't really catch what they're doing. It's more for background noise.
Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri! Several restaurants in my area have been on the show. I have it on sometimes when I'm making dinner, but that's one that I often don't really catch what they're doing. It's more for background noise.
OMG Garlic you are so Lucky I would have like to meet him he is kinda cute . Has he ever beeen to Canada ? We do have many yummy restaurants around here we do not all live in igloos.....lol
Old 09-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
I think you must have misunderstood something in that article about Chopped. According to this, it takes 12 hours to film an episode: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/yahoo--tv...222307053.html

I was curious because I didn't think most chefs would be willing to spend that much time away from their restaurants for a TV show, so I did a search.
No, I recall DH and I saying that seemed like an incredibly long time to film.The magazine never recalled the story, so who knows?

However, you are probably more accurate about the hours it takes. I do know it takes more than a day with the filming of closeups, the deliberation, etc. They showed the judges playing games on their phones during those times where they weren't on camera in the magazine article.

The deliberations are at least an hour and they edit them to a minute. A local chef was speaking at an event about her experience on Chopped years ago, but she never mentioned how long it took to film, just that it 'isn't anything how the final show looks, takes a long time and it was exhausting", in her words.

In any case, it's chopped together before it goes to print.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I figured out the source of the confusion about filming an episode of Chopped. According to the link below, they tape about 80 hours of footage for each show, but that doesn't mean it takes two weeks.

The chefs are there for a 12- to 14-hour day. During that time, they might film Ted Allen saying his opening lines several times. They have nine cameras recording the chefs and judges from different angles for 20 to 30 minutes of cooking time for each segment. After each contestant is chopped, producers interview them for the comments that are eventually shown while they're cooking. Then there are the location recordings of each chef's introduction at their restaurant, home, wherever they work.

So all that would add up to 80 hours or more of footage per episode, but it would only take a couple of days to accumulate that. I imagine the judges are playing on their phones while the crew cleans up the set between segments

http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/art...f-chopped.html
Old 09-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #18
Master Chef

A friend of my daughter's was on BBQ Pitmasters 2 years ago and he said the hours they spent filming was grueling for a one hour show. Lots and lots of retakes, false bleeping to make you think they're so upset and just swearing away , Mike doesn't swear but was bleeped constantly during the final airing. The on camera interviews take forever too, for just a few seconds of what they end up keeping. I think he said it took about a week for a one hour show.

Back to the question - my fave cooking shows are ATK, Cook's Country, and Ina. Also just about anything with Alton, but I particularly like the old Good Eats episodes. I wish they'd film new ones.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Favorite Cooking Show?

We loved the old Good Eats series too, Cheryl. It was the lagnappe after CBS Sunday Morning. Sadly they replaced it with Pioneer Woman marathons and repeats of The Kitchen.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

Yeah, it seems Pioneer Woman is always on. I usually watch her shows, but they go overboard on the reruns. Same with Guy's DD&D, sometimes I'll check FN and old ones are on one right after another for hours! I like both of them OK, but not constantly.

My cousin Diana and her husband Paul had a cooking show on cable back in the 80's called "The New Way Gourmet". It was fun, kind of ahead of it's time for the era. I watched every one, mainly because they were family and there were so few cooking shows on at the time. They held cooking classes in their home and went on to write and publish several cookbooks. I've made several of their recipes and haven't been disappointed. Just a bit of trivia. LOL

Tags
cook, cooking