"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I enjoyed Good Eats, too, and Mario Batali's old show, Molto Mario. I have Alton's book I'm Just Here for the Food. It's a great reference with good recipes that illustrate the concepts, just like the show. And it's written in his signature style

Old 09-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I liked the Galloping Gourmet till he quit drinking wine and went healthy.

Julia Child will always be my favorite.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Favorite Cooking Show?

Yes, I loved Graham Kerr when I was a kid, and had no idea he was sauced all the time! He was just so much fun!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Again, today on Trisha's show, Pioneer Woman was her guest, making what? Frickn' MAC 'N CHEESE! How many times have we seen them make this? Then they made Chicken Fried Steak. These have been shown over and over and over again. Too many shows that make comfort food, that we all have been making for years. A huge waste of air time.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Besides repeats on Food Network, everything else is a competition not a cooking show. Look what they did with the last "Star" winner, another copy of DDD. If they want to do repeats, how about some David Rosengarten, Two Hot Tamales or Grillin and Chillin. If I want to watch a "competition" show, I prefer Top Chef.

I too watched Julia, Graham Kerr and Justin. Now, I try to catch Rick Bayless when I can. My staples are Jacques, ATK, Cooks Country, Lidia and I can take or leave Ming.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #26
Senior Cook

IMO the all time Gold Standard of cooking shows was/is dear old Keith Floyd. One of the originals. You can watch dozens of his shows on Youtube.
Then of course Julia
Then not in any order Jacque/Malto/Bayless/ and some others.
As for MC. Well the US version is total rubbish. Ramsey with his Justin Bieber haircut! Give me a break! It's the cooking show version of 'Big Brother' which is also complete trash.
The Gold Standard of Masterchef shows is Masterchef Australia and Masterchef New Zealand. Both of these shows are excellent and very classy and very informative. The contestants all support each other and are excellent home cooks and all round classy people. Both these shows can also be found on Youtube.
Start with 'binge watching' a dozen or so Keith Floyd's and you'll be hooked. Start with his Floyd On France series.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I think I figured out the source of the confusion about filming an episode of Chopped. According to the link below, they tape about 80 hours of footage for each show, but that doesn't mean it takes two weeks.

The chefs are there for a 12- to 14-hour day. During that time, they might film Ted Allen saying his opening lines several times. They have nine cameras recording the chefs and judges from different angles for 20 to 30 minutes of cooking time for each segment. After each contestant is chopped, producers interview them for the comments that are eventually shown while they're cooking. Then there are the location recordings of each chef's introduction at their restaurant, home, wherever they work.

So all that would add up to 80 hours or more of footage per episode, but it would only take a couple of days to accumulate that. I imagine the judges are playing on their phones while the crew cleans up the set between segments

Shooting Baskets: Behind the Scenes of Chopped : Shows : Food Network
Ah, that's right 80 hours is what I read and I still equate 40 hours to a work week thus 2 weeks. Even though I'm retired I can't get that equation out of my head. Thanks for the information and clearing that up for me.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #28
Head Chef

pioneer women , American test kitchen
Old 09-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Barefoot Contessa. My style of cooking is very similar to Ina's. I've used many of her recipes and have always had great success and rave reviews.
Barefoot Contessa is awesome plus she is pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie69 View Post
I like masterchef and kitchen nightmares minus the swearing and screaming(GORDON RAMSEY) I also like Chopped .
LOL Ramsey is funny when he swears!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I love Cutthroat Kitchen and its spinoff, Camp Cutthroat. Who knew Alton Brown could be so evil? It's more for entertainment than for the recipes. I also like Chopped and Masterchef.

Ina Garten is so calm and sweet. I use a number of her recipes.

I grew up on Julia, Jacques, Justin, Martin, and Graham Kerr. While others were watching soap operas, I ran home from school to watch cooking shows.
I never got to see Cutthroat Kitchen, but I do like chopped. I love the cooking competition shows.
Quote:
I like Chopped, Master Chef, Rick Bayless's Mexico One Plate at a Time, Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction and Beat Bobby Flay (we DVR the new episodes). I also watch Barefoot Contessa and Pioneer Woman sometimes.

I have a TV in the kitchen, so I often have the Food Network on when I'm in there during the day, preparing for dinner or processing garden veggies. Usually I'm only half paying attention, but I pick up ideas sometimes

I swear I'm not addicted to food TV
It must be cool to have a TV in the kitchen. I do my podcasts/radio shows in the kitchen so don't feel bad LOL.
ChefAlexCardinale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I enjoyed Good Eats, too, and Mario Batali's old show, Molto Mario. I have Alton's book I'm Just Here for the Food. It's a great reference with good recipes that illustrate the concepts, just like the show. And it's written in his signature style
Good eats is a show that I loved. Too bad they don't do new episodes anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Again, today on Trisha's show, Pioneer Woman was her guest, making what? Frickn' MAC 'N CHEESE! How many times have we seen them make this? Then they made Chicken Fried Steak. These have been shown over and over and over again. Too many shows that make comfort food, that we all have been making for years. A huge waste of air time.
I don't mind if they cook the same kind of food, but they should atleast do a different style.

ChefAlexCardinale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking