"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Pioneer Woman is my favorite. I enjoy lots of others, but it always depends on what they are making during that episode.

I still get some Good Eats on the Cooking Channel. Alton Brown is informative and interesting, plus he cracks me up.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #32
Senior Cook

My favorite is Ina. Seems as though there are are too many comfort food non chefs making meatloaf, Mac 'n cheese and fried chicken. Seen them all many times. I'm sure new viewers learn something, and we did too. Just like to step it up and Ina is the only left on FN that does that.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

When I lived in New Orleans, I remember watching reruns of Justin Wilson and Paul Prudhomme, even though my interest in cooking wasn't really all there. Hell's Kitchen season 1 started while we were there and we enjoyed that (I had never heard of Gordon Ramsey at that point).

Now, I don't have cable so I watch whatever plays on Netflix or Hulu. My favorite is MasterChef. Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen get on my nerves with the ridiculous ingredients (chopped) and situations (cutthroat) that come up. Food Network Star is okay.

What about on YouTube? My favorites there are Brothers Green Eats and Jamie Oliver's various Food Tube channels.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcliff View Post
When I lived in New Orleans, I remember watching reruns of Justin Wilson and Paul Prudhomme, even though my interest in cooking wasn't really all there. Hell's Kitchen season 1 started while we were there and we enjoyed that (I had never heard of Gordon Ramsey at that point).

Now, I don't have cable so I watch whatever plays on Netflix or Hulu. My favorite is MasterChef. Chopped and Cutthroat Kitchen get on my nerves with the ridiculous ingredients (chopped) and situations (cutthroat) that come up. Food Network Star is okay.

What about on YouTube? My favorites there are Brothers Green Eats and Jamie Oliver's various Food Tube channels.
Youtube Floyd on France.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Martin Yan: Taste of Viet Nam

"If Yan can do it, you can do it. If Yan can't do it, don't even try it!"
Old 09-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Justin Wilson, alas, I cannot find his shows on regular tv anymore.
Back in the late 60's early 70's I'd listen to late night radio and could get WWL out of New Orleans and hear Justin Wilson do his comedy routines and jokes about duck hunting. this was before I ever knew he could cook. He was one of a kind. Those old AM radio stations would come in clear as a bell in NE Iowa back in the day before FM.

One of the first shows I saw him do on TV he did "dirty rice" and it sounded like something I'd like and still haven't made it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Martin Yan: Taste of Viet Nam

"If Yan can do it, you can do it. If Yan can't do it, don't even try it!"
Can Yan cook?

The show he did in Tibet was fantastic.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
Back in the late 60's early 70's I'd listen to late night radio and could get WWL out of New Orleans and hear Justin Wilson do his comedy routines and jokes about duck hunting. this was before I ever knew he could cook. He was one of a kind. Those old AM radio stations would come in clear as a bell in NE Iowa back in the day before FM.

One of the first shows I saw him do on TV he did "dirty rice" and it sounded like something I'd like and still haven't made it.
I learned how to play with my food watching Justin Wilson, he taught me to be brave and throw caution to the wind in life and cooking.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Besides repeats on Food Network, everything else is a competition not a cooking show. Look what they did with the last "Star" winner, another copy of DDD. If they want to do repeats, how about some David Rosengarten, Two Hot Tamales or Grillin and Chillin. If I want to watch a "competition" show, I prefer Top Chef.

I too watched Julia, Graham Kerr and Justin. Now, I try to catch Rick Bayless when I can. My staples are Jacques, ATK, Cooks Country, Lidia and I can take or leave Ming.
Smooches to you for David Rosengarten, Two Hot Tamales and Grillin and Chilling. Great food and/or cooking shows. Especially the former.

The only thing on food network that I watch is Chopped. I used to watch all the shows but they all suck now.

The Master chef series in other countries are terrific, if you like competitions.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Yes, I enjoy Chopped but sometimes the editing is kind of off. Did you know it takes them two weeks to film one show? Food Network Magazine wrote a story about it last year. RR's 30 Minutes or Less took 8 hours to shoot. On both shows lots of setups for close ups takes up extra time. That countdown in the end is added / dubbed in... They aren't really rushing and plating like they want you think they are. Technical stuff aside, I enjoy seeing what they do with the ingredients. It's inspired me to use what I have on hand with very successful results.
That two weeks bit is wrong, but the drama of the chefs plating in the last seconds is usually just creative editing. I don't doubt that making an appetizer complete in 20 minutes, or an entrée in 30, is some serious pressure, but the act of dropping the last bit of garnish or splashing the last bit of sauce as the clock runs out is bogus. It wouldn't be as exciting for ordinary viewer if 3 of the 4 contestants were just twiddling their thumbs for the last minute or so, so they spice it up a bit.

I may sound cynical, but I know that many of those types of shows create the drama from fiction. Discovery Channel did a bit on building an ice road to an oil well that my wife's company had part interest in, and while the story line was based on fact, much of the action, and particularly the climax, were pure fiction (at the company meeting the day after the show aired, everyone was in shock at how much of the story was outright fabrication). I know absolutely that this is true, so now when I watch any of these types of shows, I expect to have to take the show with a large dose of salt.

Despite that doubt, I still enjoy Chopped at times, and I have fun watching them make usually edible creations from often unknown ingredients and seemingly inappropriate or unmarriageable items.

Tags
cook, cooking