"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-15-2015, 03:44 PM   #41
Cook

I am absolutely convinced that 90% of the people who have a cooking show on US cable TV could not achieve the level of sous in even a single-starred European restaurant. Hamfisted and clueless come to mind.

Forgive my political incorrectness.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
That two weeks bit is wrong, but the drama of the chefs plating in the last seconds is usually just creative editing. I don't doubt that making an appetizer complete in 20 minutes, or an entrée in 30, is some serious pressure, but the act of dropping the last bit of garnish or splashing the last bit of sauce as the clock runs out is bogus. It wouldn't be as exciting for ordinary viewer if 3 of the 4 contestants were just twiddling their thumbs for the last minute or so, so they spice it up a bit.

I may sound cynical, but I know that many of those types of shows create the drama from fiction. Discovery Channel did a bit on building an ice road to an oil well that my wife's company had part interest in, and while the story line was based on fact, much of the action, and particularly the climax, were pure fiction (at the company meeting the day after the show aired, everyone was in shock at how much of the story was outright fabrication). I know absolutely that this is true, so now when I watch any of these types of shows, I expect to have to take the show with a large dose of salt.

Despite that doubt, I still enjoy Chopped at times, and I have fun watching them make usually edible creations from often unknown ingredients and seemingly inappropriate or unmarriageable items.

Thanks, it was already brought to my attention and we realize why I thought two weeks. It takes 80 hours to film and produce it. I equate 40 hours to a work week and the story said 80 hours. The chefs don't need to be there but for a day, the rest is everything else that it entails. If you page back, you see the explanation. Thank you!

Old 09-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #43
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've been watching TV cooking shows since Julia Child started them. I really enjoy Julia, Jacques, Martin Yan and Justin Wilson from back then. I can still see some Jacques shows but the others are pretty much gone.

Of the current crop, I watch ATK and Cook's Country. I just found BBQ with Franklin on Create TV. It's all about Texas BBQ.

I have no interest in cooking competition shows.
I heard somebody mention that some of the old Julia Child shows are on YouTube. I haven't looked, yet, but it's probably worth a look.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Back in the 1960's we'd watch Julia Child on PBS, black and white TV. It was a family affair and we sure enjoyed her. The one episode that sticks in my mind is when she was showing whole fish. One was especially large and when she flung it on the counter, Floyd flew everywhere! She laughed a little and shrugged it off in her typical 'oh well' style!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:12 AM   #45
Assistant Cook

I grew up watching Martin Yan and Yan Can Cook (awesomely simple stir fry recipes, along with the 'Apron of the Day' ;-) ). I always loved the way Martin would cook with so much enthusiasm!. When I got older, I used to love watching Iron Chef, as I found that is where the real cooking talent lies (plus, the translated commentary was quite amusing. "FUKUSAN !!!! It looks like he's using salt AND pepper!!!").

The Master Chef in Australia is pretty good (apparently it's the most syndicated of the MC franchise in the world), but I haven't watched it in ages. My Kitchen Rules is also on here, but I'd rather stick a rusty butter knife in my eyes than watch that crap. Too much immaturity and whiny little whingers for me.

Of course, my favourite cooking show now is Two Aussie Dads on Youtube (but I think I might be a bit biased, lol!).
Old 09-18-2015, 05:25 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Back in the 1960's we'd watch Julia Child on PBS, black and white TV. It was a family affair and we sure enjoyed her. The one episode that sticks in my mind is when she was showing whole fish. One was especially large and when she flung it on the counter, Floyd flew everywhere! She laughed a little and shrugged it off in her typical 'oh well' style!
The great thing about Julia is what is you saw is what it was and what you got. When our local PBS (WGBH) agreed to do the show, they had no facilities for her to cook. So they went to Boston Gas Company and they graciously allowed them to use their demonstration kitchen. Even though they are B&W, you can tell that they are of the day. The appliances were that wonderful coppertone brown. She had to provide her own pots and pans along with all her utensils. If she dropped something on the floor, she would tell you, we will pretend we are in the kitchen alone. No one will ever see that or know. The only time the cameras stopped rolling was while they waited for the food to cook. If it was an oven item, she cooked one at home and brought it with her.

By the time she filmed Julia Child and Company, the show was in color and "GBH had built a kitchen for her at their studios in Boston. They also provided her with her equipment and utensils. She later filmed the show in her own kitchen. The rest is history.

You would often see Julia around Cambridge (her home) and Boston. She ate out at various restaurants at night after her husband became sick and was in a nursing facility. She was always gracious if you were rude enough to ask for her autograph while she was eating. For the most part, the citizens of Boston left her alone. And she enjoyed a good burger as well as the finest French food.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The great thing about Julia is what is you saw is what it was and what you got. When our local PBS (WGBH) agreed to do the show, they had no facilities for her to cook. So they went to Boston Gas Company and they graciously allowed them to use their demonstration kitchen. Even though they are B&W, you can tell that they are of the day. The appliances were that wonderful coppertone brown. She had to provide her own pots and pans along with all her utensils. If she dropped something on the floor, she would tell you, we will pretend we are in the kitchen alone. No one will ever see that or know. The only time the cameras stopped rolling was while they waited for the food to cook. If it was an oven item, she cooked one at home and brought it with her.

By the time she filmed Julia Child and Company, the show was in color and "GBH had built a kitchen for her at their studios in Boston. They also provided her with her equipment and utensils. She later filmed the show in her own kitchen. The rest is history.

You would often see Julia around Cambridge (her home) and Boston. She ate out at various restaurants at night after her husband became sick and was in a nursing facility. She was always gracious if you were rude enough to ask for her autograph while she was eating. For the most part, the citizens of Boston left her alone. And she enjoyed a good burger as well as the finest French food.
A while back I bought an old copy MTAOFC at a garage sale. First Edition 1961!
It is signed by JC. Inside I found a little note from Julia thanking the person ( Margaret) for "being such a wonderful friend".
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #48
Cook

Thumbs up

Yeah........ That "Masterchef" episodes are my fav. That is the best, I have seen almost all series of that show.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #49
Senior Cook

IMO the all time Gold Standard of cooking shows were made by dear old Keith Floyd.
You can find dozens of episodes on Youtube.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

That "Masterchef" episodes are my fav. In Italy chefs are Carlo Cracco, Joe Bastianich, Bruno Barbieri, Antonio Canavacciuolo. Amazing.

Tags
cook, cooking