"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 04-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #61
Senior Cook

I no longer have a TV but when I did I enjoyed Alton Brown's Good eats. I was never able to stomach Guy Ferrarri. The spelling of his name isn't worth the the trouble for me to look up.

I liked Bobby Flay once but I changed my mind about him. I'm happy to hear that that Bobby Flay was actually nice to you, Garlic. I wouldn't have expected him to be nice. On air he comes across as hard and judgmental and not a kind man.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #62
Executive Chef

I know this popped up on 4-1-16. Have you seen it?

http://www.bonappetit.com/?p=1781305&post_type=article

Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 AM   #63
Executive Chef

I've seen this one a few times and really liked it. Tareq Taylor's Nordic Cooking. I found it very inspirational, with an emphasis on using local ingredients...I haven't been able to find it on tv lately...Home | Tareq Taylor's Nordic CookeryTareq Taylor's Nordic Cookery | A new television series exploring the heart and soul of New Nordic Cuisine
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #64
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I no longer have a TV but when I did I enjoyed Alton Brown's Good eats. I was never able to stomach Guy Ferrarri. The spelling of his name isn't worth the the trouble for me to look up.

I liked Bobby Flay once but I changed my mind about him. I'm happy to hear that that Bobby Flay was actually nice to you, Garlic. I wouldn't have expected him to be nice. On air he comes across as hard and judgmental and not a kind man.
I used to watch the DDD show (back when I had TV) with Guy... it was an original concept (David Page's idea) for the time. My only complaint was not with Fieri himself, but with the editing. Some of the clips were SO fast I could barely keep up.

If Bobby Flay ever seemed as hard or judgmental on a cooking show, remember that those reality shows call for that type of thing. In real life, he was very down to earth and easy to get along with and by no means a "camera hog."
Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
That was Rugged Dude who met him.

Which show(s) are you talking about? He doesn't come across that way to me. I record Brunch with Bobby, his grilling show, and Beat Bobby Flay (I've spent a lot of time either very ill or recovering from surgery over the last several years) and he seems to want to help people cook better and more confidently, and as I said before, to showcase and help publicize other chefs.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:14 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That was Rugged Dude who met him.

Which show(s) are you talking about? He doesn't come across that way to me. I record Brunch with Bobby, his grilling show, and Beat Bobby Flay (I've spent a lot of time either very ill or recovering from surgery over the last several years) and he seems to want to help people cook better and more confidently, and as I said before, to showcase and help publicize other chefs.
I agree...

He was very friendly to me... once, while on a break from shooting, I called him, "Bob." Not sure why, but it just came out. I apologized, but he laughed it off... "Hey man, call me whatever the hell you want." He didn't care, where a lot of so-called celebrities would have a pissy fit and then need to go change their underpants.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rugged Dude View Post
I agree...

He was very friendly to me... once, while on a break from shooting, I called him, "Bob." Not sure why, but it just came out. I apologized, but he laughed it off... "Hey man, call me whatever the hell you want." He didn't care, where a lot of so-called celebrities would have a pissy fit and then need to go change their underpants.
I'm glad to know he's as easygoing as he seems on TV
Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #68
Senior Cook

I don't know if I have a favorite cooking show. I used to like Bourdain but he got too full of himself and political.

Recently I started watching (youtube) the late 2 Fat Ladies and love them.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I loved 2 Fat Ladies!
Old 04-05-2016, 06:45 AM   #70
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I loved 2 Fat Ladies!
Are they those crazy ladies who used to ride around on a little scooter or something? I remember that one... that was one of the first really good (funny) cooking shows.

Tags
cook, cooking