Good Bye Mario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpeikes

Senior Cook
So I just saw the most recent ICA. No more Mario Battali but it looks like Cat is sticking around.

Mario stopped taping shows for FoodTV some time ago. they have been showing reruns for some time.

What I heard was that at contract time, he wanted the network to keep his half hour show and they only wanted iron chef so he walked.

As a matter of fact, I heard a similar story about Emeril.

I can't vouch for the truth in either of these statements but that's what I heard.

Emeril puts his soul into the food also. I n a different kind of way, but he does. His foods n his restaurants are exelent.

I think Food network lost couple of seriously good guys. But then I am sure they do not care becasue they are really not into food any more.

I've always felt that this guy does it for the love of food. I do not get that from Emeril. Mario always entertains me.

Mario is himself on television. The producers created a persona for the on-screen Emeril which is not him. That makes a big difference in the way they come across on tv, imho. Emeril is very shy. Not as shy as Martin Yan, but very shy.

If you have the green network, Emeril has a show called Emeril Green ... his best tv work yet helping pewople with specific food needs and issues.

But then I am sure they do not care becasue they are really not into food any more.

I'd agree with that. They are now all about challenges and competions and and very little in prime time on actual cooking. I'm sure it is because these are cheaper to produce. I miss the "how to cook" and recipe shows. :(

Almost everything on Food network has always seemed very.... I don't know, contrived, to me. Most of my favorite cooking shows (aside from the original Iron Chef - forget this ICA junk) are on PBS. Lydia's Italy/Family Table, and anything with Jacques Pepin in particular.

Almost everything on Food network has always seemed very.... I don't know, contrived, to me. Most of my favorite cooking shows (aside from the original Iron Chef - forget this ICA junk) are on PBS. Lydia's Italy/Family Table, and anything with Jacques Pepin in particular.

I Second that.

Lydia, Jacques, Jacques and Julia reruns, Maryanne Esposito . I personally prefer these kinds of cooking shows. Ive had the pleasure of seeing live demonstrations of Maryanne and Jacques recently, and met Lydia at a book signing last year. Jacques is full of so much culinary knowledge and displays it in such a matter of fact way, which i enjoy, instead of being lectured too or having the same old facts repeated over and over again.

I Second that.

Lydia, Jacques, Jacques and Julia reruns, Maryanne Esposito . I personally prefer these kinds of cooking shows. Ive had the pleasure of seeing live demonstrations of Maryanne and Jacques recently, and met Lydia at a book signing last year. Jacques is full of so much culinary knowledge and displays it in such a matter of fact way, which i enjoy, instead of being lectured too or having the same old facts repeated over and over again.

I'd like to add Cook's Country to the list. I always learn from that show on PBS.

I couldn't agree more about Jacques Pepin on PBS........actually his "fast cooking, my way" is the best cooking show on TV, in my opinion.
I've been watching him for years, LONG before the Food Network........just love his easy style, not to mention that French accent......I well remember when we were both younger.
Yeppers, Jacques is my "go to" guy for a nice and easy half hour show of cooking.. with a nice glass of wine. I record all his shows in case I miss one.
He's still not hard to look at either. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom