"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #111
Executive Chef

I believe, and only my opinion, is he is so hard on others and even more on himself. When someone comments that the dish he served wasn't very good, he takes it so very personal.

On the show, we only get to see the things that production puts together. I can imagine there is lot of apologizing and lot of other things the public doesn't see. He wants the public to know that he is what he is, a person who demands perfection.

On this show Hell's Kitchen, I assume he is the one who decides who is the winner. I agree with his choice and thought Dave was the best! He showed determination and I did notice he was one who never got into disagreement with others on his team. Seemed everyone liked Dave. I am so very thankful he won.

I do look forward to the next Hell's Kitchen. I often have the feeling I am working right with them. Ramsay even does his part by handling the dishes. There isn't anything he expects that he himself would not do. What he preaches, he practices. He is what he is! The best! Only my opinion.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #112
Assistant Cook

I don't think he's anything hugely special, but i think he has a great knack at getting people fired up and divided in opinion, which i guess keeps him a talking point. He does have a potty mouth though, i would hope that's only for affect on television and he doesn't talk to people in real life like that.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #113
Master Chef

Actually, in all the segments where he's at home with his wife & kids, there's no "potty mouth", & he comes across as a nice normal kind of family guy. I'm thinking/hoping that that's the way he is in "real life" apart from his business.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #114
Cook

[QUOTE=BreezyCooking;856498][QUOTE=Antiguadreams;856494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiguadreams View Post
He apparently knows how to run them, as he's still making money. .QUOTE]

While I do definitely agree with you that one shouldn't rely on the media, & I also definitely do not automatically take as indisputable fact everything I read, the serious financial problems re: Gordon's empire were reiterated by the man himself in personal interviews.

Is he an excellent showman & businessman? Yes. Did he get quite a bit ahead of himself & perhaps overestimate his popularity & $$ draw-power abroad? Yes.
I agree with you. I don't get a newspaper, try to not read news online, mainly because I don't always trust what I hear and prefer not to be depressed all the time. :P My support of gordon was from my impression of his character from the various shows he's been on, mostly his BBC america programs more than what I read about him. I made an assumption, a dangerous thing, about his profitability based on past success. hence why I thanked you on giving me more facts on the matter. I admit I'm a biased Gordon Ramsay fan. If I could meet the man in Real Life to get a clearer image of him I would. but we all know the success of that. I may know my way around a kitchen, but I think my chances of getting on hell's kitchen are slim to none. :P