"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
Sous Chef

you go to watch kitchen nightmares from the UK on BBCAmerica. so much better and its his true personality not the drama filled US Stuff.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #12
Master Chef

Uh - step away from the computer for a minute & then step back & please retype what you just said, because it doesn't make any sense.

I DO watch Ramsay's shows on BBCAmerica. Have also watched his U.S. shows. His personality is what it is. I see absolutely no difference in the U.K. & U.S. shows. And there sure is PLENTY of drama on both "The 'f' Word" (U.K.) & "Kitchen Nightmares" (worldwide). Your point is - lol - pointless.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Sous Chef

yeah maybe I should have explained that better.

So in BBC version while he is rough so to say he isnt like flipping off the handle after a split second. he gets frustrated like everyone would and does what he needs to do to inspire. Maybe it has gotten worse over the last few years on BCC America. I have some 2004 and 2005 episodes on disc and it isnt all like yelling and screaming and basiclly a tempertantrum for better lack of words.

Ill have to see if i can get a hold of some newer BCC episodes.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
I like the BBC episodes much better as well.

I think Gordon definitely exaggerates for the TV cameras but at the same time he does not enable improper behavior. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade but there are plenty of ways to do this without making your chefs cry!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Chef Ramsay acts the way he does because of American ratings, pretty sad, huh? I have seen him on talk shows and he actually seems quite human. There is something about him that I really like.
Candee
Old 03-05-2009, 01:13 AM   #16
Master Chef

Who wants to watch a dull show? What sponsors are going to pay for a dull show?

They don't call it "Hell's Kitchen" for no reason ... and how would a mild manned cooking instructor handle someone pulling pasta out of the trash to serve a customer?

People either like Ramsey or they hate him. But one thing they can never honestly ask is, "So Chef, what did you REALLY think?"
Old 03-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in brooklyn View Post
I think he is too much a bully - I never learned anything
from someone threatening and screaming at me.
There is a famous chef in NY -Eric Rippert - when he instructs or
critiques he is quiet and gentle and IMHO much more effective than
Ramsey. I have a feeling Ramsey might be playing his part as
directed by the writers and producers.
Yes I agree and I wish he wouldn't swear so much, it spoils the program.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #18
Head Chef

I don't like his managment style but he has the Michelin Stars to prove that it works. And he his no one hit wonder in business with an extreamly high failure rate. And he did it on his own, daddy did not give it to him.

The shows on BBC Amercia do show that he does care and is willing to teach those that want to learn the business.

Would I want to work in his kitchen? No.

I I had a kitchen would I take his advice? Yes, and be glad to have it.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I don't like his managment style but he has the Michelin Stars to prove that it works. And he his no one hit wonder in business with an extreamly high failure rate. And he did it on his own, daddy did not give it to him.

The shows on BBC Amercia do show that he does care and is willing to teach those that want to learn the business.

Would I want to work in his kitchen? No.

I I had a kitchen would I take his advice? Yes, and be glad to have it.
He was on another segment of 'Hell's Kitchen' last night, appropriately named. On this particular show one of the applicant's asked if he could see 'The Chef' in private. Ramsay made special time for him and this man told him he did not like to be called Bobby. He said his father was Bobby and made him feel upset as he wanted to be called Robert. The Chef apologized and said he would honor his wishes and respected the fact that Robert had made him aware of this fact. I don't believe if someone was really cold hearted that he would even care what people thought. His actions are not really honest. He acts this way for the results he wants. He admired the one person he let go for her fight she showed. He feels if a person wants something bad enough they will do everything in t heir power to get it. Does he intimidate the group to see what kind of metal they are made of? As someone said, not easy job. You have to truly earn your pay.

My hope is he doesn't have heart attack.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I know on the U.S. shows he acts like a big bully but thats just for the entertainment factors in the U.S. market. Kitchen Nightmare in the U.K. Version is really tame compared to the U.S. Version.