"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I actually got an idea for a burger one time watching him cook on Kitchen Nightmares. He was teaching someone a new way to try for a burger and I wrote down the ingredients, and to this day, we call them Ramsay burgers :)

Old 07-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
Mr. Greenjeans

I am a big fan of "The f Word". The main theme of the show is that you don't have to be a pro to cook like one. All of his "assistants" are not usually associated with the restaurant trade.

Another of his side causes it the "Get Women Back In The Kitchen" cause. He believes that women have abandoned cooking because of the "housewife" stigma that is associated with women knowing how to cook.

How can you NOT like to cook. It's like painting a picture that everyone can taste!

Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post

Another of his side causes it the "Get Women Back In The Kitchen" cause. He believes that women have abandoned cooking because of the "housewife" stigma that is associated with women knowing how to cook.

How can you NOT like to cook. It's like painting a picture that everyone can taste!
DW has told me time and again that the culinary world is a male dominated world and a lot of male exec chefs don't like women in the kitchen.

I agree about the whole 'how can you not like to cook?" thing. I love cooking, though I bow down to DW's expertise and play sous chef, I still enjoy it :)
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
You should try to put everything in one post instead of breaking each sentence up into a different post, it makes you look like a spammer and can get you booted quickly ... especially since all you've done since joining is complain and not done anyone any good.

But as far as Ramsay goes, he has cooked many times on his shows and others, he actually worked his way up from the bottom working for two top notch French chefs ... so cooking is something he has, and still does do (you can look it up on youtube if you want to see him cook). Something that happens too, when you get to the top of your line of work, is you end up doing less of what made you the top of your line. I for instance, have been in my business for 16 years and the last 5 have been at the top of my line as a manager .. and I'm more of a bean counter than anything now. I work in the office and tell people what to do, meet with clients and other people in my business, and make sure we make money ... I don't actually go out in the field and do it anymore. It happens in most industries actually. Most chef's that end up owning their own restaurants will do their own cooking, at least until they start opening up more than one (as Ramsay has done) ... then someone has to manage them and not cook anymore.
i can't believe that you actually wrote the first paragrah of your comments. how rude of u. you could have sent a private message instead you chose to to be rude in thread. i think you owe him an apology.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i can't believe that you actually wrote the first paragrah of your comments. how rude of u. you could have sent a private message instead you chose to to be rude in thread. i think you owe him an apology.

I think not, whether it were here or PM, the words would still be the same ... if it were as you say, you would've PM'd me this instead of putting it on the thread Now back to the topic at hand shall we?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #46
Mr. Greenjeans

Alright you kids! Don't make me turn this car around and go home. If you can't get along we'll just go home and you can call Grandma and let her know why we aren't visiting her this weekend!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Actually I don't know why anyone bashes the man other than his overuse of cursing and his make believe abuse (it gets ratings, he's not really like that). The man has put in his time working from the bottom up, he learned from 2 other MichelinStar winners and has had several successful restaurants (as well as a few unsuccessful) . If you want to dislike his character on TV, then dislike his character ... but the man is not the same as the character. If you want to see the real man, go to youtube and watch some of his interviews he's been on. He's a very friendly, energetic, and family oriented person.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #48
Executive Chef

... but he does say very stupid things at times. The controvesy he caused over here with his comments about a newsreader we have. He ended up making an apology on UK TV because his mum told him off. His Perth shows got cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Still went back to Sydney though. But he has a restaurant in Sydney or Melbourne (they are only an hour's flight away from the other) so he probably prefers to get a few things done at the one time. We aren't exactly close to anywhere!

On www.rovedaily.com.au he gave a humerous interview.

There is a newspaper in England, not sure if it is the Times or which, that has a whole lot of his cooking videos online for viewing. Nightmares and HK aren't really cooking shows so you don't really expect to watch him prepare dishes. The UK series I believe to be a better show but that is a lot to do with the production style - less recapping - as well as less histrionics on everyone's part. The f word is better as a cooking show but less involving with the audience than nightmares. I only saw the first season of HK and found it good but not good enough to go back for a second helping of a similar dish.

I like him and his shows (generally) but we were saturated with him here. You know, when you are on to a good thing - jam it down everyone's throats until they can't take it anymore. He was on tv three or four nights a week at one point, on the one station. This is free to air tv, not pay.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
I like him and his shows (generally) but we were saturated with him here. You know, when you are on to a good thing - jam it down everyone's throats until they can't take it anymore. He was on tv three or four nights a week at one point, on the one station. This is free to air tv, not pay.

Sheesh, that's too much of anything. My DW would agree with you on the point of jamming down your throat, there are several celebrity chefs she wont watch anymore because of over-saturation.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #50
Senior Cook

I don't care much for his four letter expletives, BUT he knows what he's talking about, AND in most of the cases I see on his show, they deserve to be yelled at!!! I'm only a home cook, but I know I could do as well or better than 99% of those people! They aren't the sharpest knives in the rack.