"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #51
Assistant Cook

One man's meat being another man's poison is only too true - I find that I get really bad indigestion if I eat fish which is still at the translucent stage - I need it to be better cooked than that. Some of Gordon Ramsay's fish dishes would make me ill. What's more, I prefer the fish to be cooked through from a texture point of view. After that, I do enjoy watching his programs because it is a salutary lesson in how not to run a professional kitchen!

Margaret

Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #52
Master Chef

Old 07-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Not only is he a chef and restauranteur, Gordon Ramsey is also a performer and knows what makes for interesting television.Creating a personna that expands upon his British acerbic tongue and unflagging honesty (Think Simon Cowell), that makes for entertainment. He knows it, uses it, and it's made him popular and rich.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #54
Executive Chef

upset

I was anxious to see first show of Hell's Kitchen. Really nerve wrecking and then disgusting. At the very end of the show, all the contestants were sitting together talking. One of the 'Executive Chefs' was forever picking his nose. I wonder where he works? That really turned my stomach and I can't get the picture out of my mind. This guy is a chef and he wants to continue to be one? Who in their right mind would hire him? Or is this just type of habit accepted? I just can't believe what I saw. I wonder what Gordon thought?

Sorry to ruin your day but it sure affects mine. Is there anything worse than picking your nose when preparing food?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
Sorry to ruin your day but it sure affects mine. Is there anything worse than picking your nose when preparing food?
Scratching your butt? Picking your ear?

I can go worse than that, but I suspect these are "PG" rated forums...

I've worked in good and bad restaurants, and seen things not fit to be repeated here. Nothing shocks me.

Not saying he's not an idiot for picking his nose on camera, but...

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Chef Ramsay,
Is what he is. When I was first coming up in the business nearly every Chef I knew ran the kitchen just as he does. While it has changed somewhat there are still many Chefs that go through a day the very same way. Many kitchens are so loud with distractions like: knife's chopping on a cutting board, pans being banged by the utility crew and line cooks, high pressure steam being released, the hood systems (exhaust) going and everyone talking. Profanity..yes it still happens in many kitchens. For the most part the Chefs reputation is on the line with each plate leaving the kitchen and if a Sous Chef or line cook doesn't believe in that then they shouldn't be working in the restaurant business. Losing a customer is not acceptable!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Chef Ramsay,
Is what he is. When I was first coming up in the business nearly every Chef I knew ran the kitchen just as he does. While it has changed somewhat there are still many Chefs that go through a day the very same way. Many kitchens are so loud with distractions like: knife's chopping on a cutting board, pans being banged by the utility crew and line cooks, high pressure steam being released, the hood systems (exhaust) going and everyone talking. Profanity..yes it still happens in many kitchens. For the most part the Chefs reputation is on the line with each plate leaving the kitchen and if a Sous Chef or line cook doesn't believe in that then they shouldn't be working in the restaurant business. Losing a customer is not acceptable!
That is exactly my feelings, it is what he is! Thanks for opening the real life of working in kitchen at an establishment. Surely not easy and i appreciate your honesty. Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The kitchen I worked in was a bit "Gordon Ramsey-ish" at times. Our chef actually threw food on occasion. The maddest he ever got was even his mistake - food and bad words still flew though

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #59
Sous Chef

I agree with Mark as well. It is a loud place and tempers do flair. I was lucky enough not to have anyone try to yell at me like that. Well, one did and I yelled right back. We got along fine after that. We never threw food though as that was money to us all.
It is tough to be a female chef in a professional kitchen though but, it didn't offend me as much as it would a "regular" woman. Ya see, I am married to a Marine and I don't think there's a word invented that I haven't heard from them. Makes kitchen stuff, like fluff.

One of my instructors was taught in France and it is every bit like Gordon portrays it to be.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #60
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
That is exactly my feelings, it is what he is! Thanks for opening the real life of working in kitchen at an establishment. Surely not easy and i appreciate your honesty. Thanks

I agree, I would like to see the kitchens that aren't full of noise, yelling, and at least the occasional cursing ... that would be an abandoned kitchen :)