"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #71
Senior Cook

Aw, you're just being paranoid

Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #72
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Chef Kathleen,

You have a couple of great points especially:

"Well, one did and I yelled right back. We got along fine after that. We never threw food though as that was money to us all."

Most of the time as long as you are a great cook and teamplayer all you need to do is stand up for yoruself and you will have earned the respect of everyone in the kitchen. Also if I found my staff throwing food in the kitchen they would be working someplace else.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #73
Master Chef

one Chef instructor flung a shelf-full of measuring cups at us cause they weren't turned the right way, then made us re-wash them. swears like a drunken sailor. i adore him, respect him, & he's been very gentle & kind to me upon my return to school this year. he's not working at school anymore, though i stop by to see him & for the occassional hug. :)
another old Chef, his former co-worker, is the same way.
those two old guys, they're awesome. they just don't like certain employees & students.

& i don't mind that show. i watch it.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #74
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster
Most of the time as long as you are a great cook and teamplayer all you need to do is stand up for yourself and you will have earned the respect of everyone in the kitchen. Also if I found my staff throwing food in the kitchen they would be working someplace else.
I agree Mark. It is a tough environment though. I really can't recall anyone ever throwing anything in the kitchens I've worked in. I did ball out a potwasher, athough lightly, one time for putting my knives in his pot sink. I then had reached in and pulled out a knife, blade first in my hand. I told him not only was that unsafe for him as well as me but, that was how I kept the kitchen open was with my hands and knives. Couldn't do the job without either.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #75
Master Chef

i hate when people leave stuff like knives in the sink. today someone left the robo coupe blade in the sink.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #76
Executive Chef

Since this thread is started, I hope to see your comments after the coming show. I do like all of your honesty, I know he would too. After all he can say what he feels. I bet he sleeps good at night except when he has to think about someone beating him up.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #77
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I bet he sleeps good at night except when he has to think about someone beating him up.
I never have problems going to sleep,but if we are prepping for a big event the next day I find myself laying in bed going over everything thing I need to do the next day and I start to prioritize my day. I don't get alot of sleep that night, but when I am driving into work I feel confident about the day ahead.

Another thing about knifes or blades in the sink is when a cook has a dirty pan with a knife on it and then they place another pan on top, and walk over the whole stack to the Utility area. Of course they neglect to tell the dishwashers that there is a knife hidden in the pile of pans. I implemented a policy where I work that all knifes/blades are to be hand washed by the cook using them.

At the end of the day everybody goes home with 10 fingers τΏ~
Old 07-25-2009, 11:57 AM   #78
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Another thing about knifes or blades in the sink is when a cook has a dirty pan with a knife on it and then they place another pan on top, and walk over the whole stack to the Utility area. Of course they neglect to tell the dishwashers that there is a knife hidden in the pile of pans. I implemented a policy where I work that all knifes/blades are to be hand washed by the cook using them.

At the end of the day everybody goes home with 10 fingers τΏ~
Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Good idea Mark. That's how it ended up in my kitchen as well. You use the knife, you clean it and put it away.
I used to go over the next days events as well. The last time I cooked for a large amount of people it was in the mid '90s over 2000 ppl and I was a wreck. But nothing beats having a kick butt staff to back you up on days like that. And prep,prep,prep.LOL
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #80
Senior Cook

Kathleen,

Are you still in the trenches on a regualar basis or did you go a different route?I

ts different where I am at currently, but I still feed about 5,000 a week. The excitement of a Friday or Saturday when you are trying to hold it together, hoping you won't have to 86 your special and making sure that none of the stations fall into the weeds. Pllus the added bonus of trying to make sure the FOH and BOH staff don't kill one another.

Aw, what a great life. Then you go home at 1:00AM and grab a bowl of cereal or make a sandwich.