"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-25-2009, 02:45 PM   #81
Sous Chef

Not me man. Ice cold beer or glass of cab. LOL.
I always felt like the ref with the FOH and BOH. Some of my line cooks just like to get a rise out of the waitresses too by saying something like "get your hands outta your pockets, count your tips later. Order up!!"

Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #82
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Hell's Kitchen lost me when I realized it was going to focus on drama and not cooking - after season 1. Ramsay lost me when I unfortunately looked up while BF was surfing channels and I watched him SPIT into a pan of potatoes. I got nauseous and swore him off forever.

The truth is that the BBC Ramsey shows are so much better than the US Ramsey shows. The BBC offerings are educational AND entertaining. Believe me, when he finds stuff living in the refrigerator, he will lace into the British restaurant employees like a sharpened fillet knife. The main difference is that he isn't so over the top as to be a caricature of himself. The profuse swearing on the US shows, coupled with the "shock" factor makes Hell's Kitchen unwatchable for me.

I stick to BBC if I'm interested in watching Ramsey. At least I know I'll be entertained.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM   #83
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Hell's Kitchen lost me when I realized it was going to focus on drama and not cooking - after season 1. Ramsay lost me when I unfortunately looked up while BF was surfing channels and I watched him SPIT into a pan of potatoes. I got nauseous and swore him off forever.

The truth is that the BBC Ramsey shows are so much better than the US Ramsey shows. The BBC offerings are educational AND entertaining. Believe me, when he finds stuff living in the refrigerator, he will lace into the British restaurant employees like a sharpened fillet knife. The main difference is that he isn't so over the top as to be a caricature of himself. The profuse swearing on the US shows, coupled with the "shock" factor makes Hell's Kitchen unwatchable for me.

I stick to BBC if I'm interested in watching Ramsey. At least I know I'll be entertained.

I feel the same way, his BBC stuff is much better and more professional ... though the F bombs are still prolific, but that doesn't bother me.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #84
Cook

it's all entertainment,''made for tv'' fact is Ramsey is a great chef.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #85
Assistant Cook

I've never understood why anyone would volunteer their restaurant for Kichen Nightmares. Even if he gives it a great makeover, he still trashes it horrendously to start and that's what viewers and potential diners will remember.

That said, I'm a big fan of all Ramsey's shows...very very entertaining.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #86
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
I've never understood why anyone would volunteer their restaurant for Kichen Nightmares. Even if he gives it a great makeover, he still trashes it horrendously to start and that's what viewers and potential diners will remember.

That said, I'm a big fan of all Ramsey's shows...very very entertaining.
In 2008, we inadvertently ate at a restaurant featured in Kitchen Nightmares - in South Bend, IN. It was the ONLY PLACE OPEN on a Sunday and we were starving. The restaurant was smart and placed all references to Kitchen Nightmares on a wall one could see only upon exiting the restaurant.

Ramsey would have had a hemorrage if he saw the condition of this place. The carpet was all worn and we were served mediocre BBQ style food - with warm cole slaw. So I'm guessing the cole slaw was put into cups and left on a tray that was NOT stored in the fridge.

Looks like you might be able to stream the whole ep at this link. It was season 2, episode 11.

Luckily, none of us got sick.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #87
Assistant Cook

Anyone remember The Mixing Bowl episode of Hell's Kitchen? It was a restaurant in Bellmore, NY (I never ate there but it closed down shortly after the episode aired). Well, I actually met the guy who Ramsey tore into on that episode and brought up the episode in conversation. He did not seem pleased.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #88
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKitchenSink View Post
Anyone remember The Mixing Bowl episode of Hell's Kitchen? It was a restaurant in Bellmore, NY (I never ate there but it closed down shortly after the episode aired). Well, I actually met the guy who Ramsey tore into on that episode and brought up the episode in conversation. He did not seem pleased.
Yes, I remember "The Mixing Bowl" episode on Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" ("Hell's Kitchen" is a completely different show - the restaurant remake show is "Kitchen Nightmares"). The problem seems to be that many of the restaurants Ramsey "remakes" are already so deeply in debt & have such awful reputations that even with the remake it's simply impossible for them to turn around. Sad.

But you know what? No one twists the arms of these folks to be on the show, & unless they're incredibly backwards mentally, they MUST realize what they're going to be subjected to. So I don't understand how any of these people can whine about what happened after the fact.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #89
Assistant Cook

^My sentiments exactly. Btw, sorry about the mix-up there...I must have been thinking about Hell's Kitchen because I was looking forward to watching the new episode.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #90
Assistant Cook

What does everyone think of Chef Ramsey?

I know from watchin on tv here in the uk that he has been filming in the US

im interested to know what you guys think of him?