"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #91
Head Chef

Guy Fieri is possibly a nice guy. TMZ caught him and his hairdresser (HUH?) in a fight with a video which I won't link to because it mostly consists of a four letter word.

BTW---- the latest reviews about that NYC Fieri restaurant, while not quite as bad as the first one, aren't that great. One other review site had a totally different opinion----- said it was great! I think I'll pass the next time I'm in NY, which will be never.

Guy's American Kitchen and Bar - Midtown West - New York, NY

Old 02-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #92
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I was wondering what food lovers and cooks opinion on Guy Fieri was. All my friends who don't enjoy cooking and food as much as I do thinks he is a tool, a douche', etc etc etc.

I think he is an amazing tv personality and his show is so resourceful. If you are traveling it is nice to know where to go eat in that area. I've been to multiple places where he has been to, but I went there first before I saw the episodes, and some places are good and some places aren't.
Quite good fun to watch but when you've seen one "triple D" you've seen them all. We got a few of his cookery programmes which I enjoyed but they weren't anything out of the ordinary.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #93
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
Yeah I could really care less about how he cooks, He just has a way with people and triple D is a great show.

If you guys have been to any of the places name them and rate em.
-Since my memory is shot I'll name a few I am certain I can remember

I lived in Charleston SC this past summer and I went to Fuel which he went to. Absolutely love the young vibe from the place. Only went for brunch but it was prettty great.

Guy went to the Glass Onion which was up the road from my house in West Ashley SC and I will have to go there when I get back

I also went to Quahogs Seafood Shack in Stone Harbor NJ and thought the food was pretty poor, and the service was atrocious. Might have been a bad night not really sure. I also think the chef that was on the episode wasn't there anymore because his food looked amazing and Guy said it was one of the best seafood dishes he ever had. They weren't putting out that quality of food.

I know there are a few other places I just can't think of right now. But it is always cool to try the things he trys because usually they look and are so damn good.
"I also went to Quahogs Seafood Shack in Stone Harbor NJ and thought the food was pretty poor, and the service was atrocious. Might have been a bad night not really sure. I also think the chef that was on the episode wasn't there anymore because his food looked amazing and Guy said it was one of the best seafood dishes he ever had. They weren't putting out that quality of food."

It's a common problem that, when a good restaurant has been featured in a magazine article or a television programme, it often goes down hill. Either the proprietors can't keep up with the increase footfall and the joint goes down hill or they go all out to enlarge and improve and it all goes bottoms up when the customers move on to the next fashionable place.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #94
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
I love bacon but I don't know if I'm with candying it and putting it in baked good. Then again, when I eat it with pancakes and syrup it's sort of the same context...I guess lol.

There is a restaurant here that sells bacon jam... Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but they can't keep it in stock. I will try it if I can ever get my hands on a jar of it.
A year or two back, we had a site for making bacon jam. Do a search in the space at the top and see if you can find it.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #95
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
Guy Fieri is possibly a nice guy. TMZ caught him and his hairdresser (HUH?) in a fight with a video which I won't link to because it mostly consists of a four letter word.
I really like Guy. He presents himself as an ordinary down to earth kind of person. And really, who hasn't had a fight with their hairdresser.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #96
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
And really, who hasn't had a fight with their hairdresser.
I've always avoided fighting with my hairdresser and my brain surgeon! I want them liking me.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #97
Master Chef

The longer FN stays on, the less food or cooking is on that network I see. I am tired of somebody traveling abroad, or drive around small towns, or big cities for that matter. Show me simple cooking, from start to the end with the ingredients and amounts of those ingredients with details of how to cook them. I don’t care what menu is served somewhere half way across the world unless you tell me how I personally could make that stuff in my kitchen. So Guy or Gal Fieri, I am tired of them all. I don’t even remember when I turn on the FN last time. Booooring….
Old 02-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #98
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
The longer FN stays on, the less food or cooking is on that network I see. I am tired of somebody traveling abroad, or drive around small towns, or big cities for that matter. Show me simple cooking, from start to the end with the ingredients and amounts of those ingredients with details of how to cook them. I don’t care what menu is served somewhere half way across the world unless you tell me how I personally could make that stuff in my kitchen. So Guy or Gal Fieri, I am tired of them all. I don’t even remember when I turn on the FN last time. Booooring….
Although I do enjoy seeing food that is across the world (and eating it) I have to agree with CharlieD in some of his thoughts.

Most of those cooking shows will show how to cook something----- but at the speed of light! O.K., so I'm a senior. So most things are too fast for me.

But I remember when Julia Child and Pepin and others actually showed how to do a procedure at a speed that could be assimilated. I was much younger then and I never thought they went too slow.

I've just recently started watching Unique Sweets----- but will stop because of those inanely, insanely and all-too-cutesy commentators! Sheesh!

Although YouTube has some pretty dismal cooking vids---some are also pretty good. And usually no cutesy commentators that make me want to tear my hair out!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

FN seems to be showing a lot of its cooking shows on the Cooking Channel now, which we don't get But a lot of the episodes are available online: Cooking Channel - Recipes, Shows and Cooking Videos from Top Global Chefs : Cooking Channel

We bought a Google Chromecast a month or so ago, which allows us to "cast" videos from a laptop, tablet or smartphone to our TV, so we can watch them on the bigger screen.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #100
Master Chef

totally off topic. Garlic, tell me how does it work? Do you have a newer TV then too? I've seen commercial for it, but never bothered to really look into it. Would be interesting to know from the first hand user.