"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I love Guy too! I went to Campo's while visiting Philadelphia because I had seen it on Triple D. It was a great little place with a great Philly Steak.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

He has been to Boston a couple of times. He featured a hole in the wall restaurant about five minutes from where I live. His regulars complained that the filming crew was there all day and they ended up going to a different restaurant. This restaurant used to be a Mom and Pop corner grocery store. It only has a few tables. The food is great, but like Rao's in NYC, it is hard to get a table there. He allows his regulars to stay way too long thus slow turnover. Now he wants to open a bar across the street so when you are waiting for a table, you can get drunk. The neighbors are nixing it. All this came about due to the publicity from the show.

Sometimes I find him to be loud and boisterous. He also acts silly. Why can't folks just talk and not yell?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
So the regulars couldn't suck up the "inconvenience" of a film crew for the day, that is there to feature the place, that the fallout is "Better business/more cash for the mom and pop"? Sounds like they aren't seeing the big picture. And business is so good he wants to open another place to host the while they wait? I wish I had had those problems. It's great to get people in the door, that's NEVER a problem.

Oh, you can be at a bar and not get drunk, btw. What "getting drunk" has to do with it, I don't get.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
So the regulars couldn't suck up the "inconvenience" of a film crew for the day, that is there to feature the place, that the fallout is "Better business/more cash for the mom and pop"? Sounds like they aren't seeing the big picture. And business is so good he wants to open another place to host the while they wait? I wish I had had those problems. It's great to get people in the door, that's NEVER a problem.

Oh, you can be at a bar and not get drunk, btw. What "getting drunk" has to do with it, I don't get.
I am the last person to ask. I don't drink or live in the neighborhood. I think they are more concerned about the traffic. You have to have a resident sticker to park there. All street parking. No driveways.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Guy is the only one coming out of NFS that has made it. DDD, has been on for what, 9 seasons. The copy cats have all died, the Neallys, the Dean twits and yes, even Altons road show. Guy just has that personality. I'd rather watch DDD reruns than almost all the others new shows. Most other personalitys are one trick ponys, which IMO, means boring. Time to throw out the stinkers and get some freshness in the programing.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Executive Chef

If I feel like sitting and watching tv, I almost always look for the DDD re-runs. I love the show!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
Senior Cook

I generally like both of them, but to a point. I have trouble with "chatty" cooking shows and after a bit I start to get a headache. But I've learned a lot from watching both of them and they have some dynamite recipies.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

Oh be still my heart, he is my next husband!
Seriously, I really enjoy him, he has great energy, knowledgeable, and funny. Love DDD, and I like the other couple of shows he has been on.
I can see why people who have no interest in cooking might think he is a tool or a douche.
He has so much energy and hyper, they might think, especially with it being involved with cooking, that no TRUE man, can honestly be that way.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #29
Sous Chef

I congratulate him for hitting his timing right and he's making a pile of $$.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheyen View Post
Oh be still my heart, he is my next husband!
Seriously, I really enjoy him, he has great energy, knowledgeable, and funny. Love DDD, and I like the other couple of shows he has been on.
I can see why people who have no interest in cooking might think he is a tool or a douche.
He has so much energy and hyper, they might think, especially with it being involved with cooking, that no TRUE man, can honestly be that way.
Are you saying he's not seen as a TRUE man because he is interested in cooking or because he is full of energy and hyper?