"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

I'm a big fan of Guy. He is such a natural, and I enjoy watching DDD. A friend of mine saw him at Disneyland a year or two ago on the "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride. He was with his family, so people didn't really want to bother him as far as she could tell, other than to say hi and that they loved his shows. He was very friendly and personable.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

He left the 90's kicking and screaming. Seriously, the dude is in his 40's and dresses like he's still in high school. Grow up.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That look and personality has gotten him quite far in his career. I say good for him and dress how he enjoys dressing. Life is short, and doing things a certain way, dressing like supposed grownup just to make others happy is just silly and a waste of energy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
A place in my home town was featured once- it has really good food, but way too greasy for every day! I like to go there once a year as a treat.
That can be a curse as well as a blessing. I remember the first episode of $40 a Day, Rachael Ray went to a little surfer/biker hangout at LA/Ventura County Line called Neptunes Net. I used to love to eat there. Steamed goodies in back, deep fried goodies up front. Place your order, they call your number to go pick it up, then you go find a seat.

After Rachael Ray ate there, you couldn't get near the place. They expanded the parking lot twice, put a huge picnic area above the parking lot for the overflow crowd, installed three times as many port-a-potties (the place never had indoor plumbing!) and still you have to arrive at off hours and send someone ahead to claim a table while you place your orders.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic76 View Post
He left the 90's kicking and screaming. Seriously, the dude is in his 40's and dresses like he's still in high school. Grow up.
If was doing what he is doing and making the kind of money he is making I would dress like him too !

The guy is doing something with his life, providing for his family, having a good time and is very successful .. I say more power to him.

There are some celebreties and business people who are hard to watch because of the way they look but if you look beyond the physical they are pretty amazing.

I say if they aren't hurting anybody then more power to them.

I've heard that same thing from my sister in Sacramento Sir ... Guy went to a little joint there in his first season and it immediately became so popular that even now you can hardly get in ... double edged sword for sure !
Old 05-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Same problems here. The two places he visited here have created major headaches for the owners, police, and residents. This is a community of triple deckers separted only by a small alley. On almost every corner there is a Mom and Pop store. There are no driveways, streets are all one way up the hill and down the other way, back and forth for the horizontal streets. In the rare spaces where there is a driveway, it is blocked by a customer of the eatery, and sure enough the car get towed. It is always an out-of-towner. Or the car does not have a 'resident 'sticker. These eateries are located in a residential neighborhood and the patrons (one has a liquor license) get drunk and rowdy. This restaurant is located in one of those Mom and Pop stores that closed. And he expanded to another store that closed across the street where folks who were waiting for a table could sit and drink.

Spike no long drives down Saratoga Street because of all the problems there due to the restaurant Guy visited. And that was well over a year ago. I don't wish him ill. I just wish he had never visited our town.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

He's visited half a dozen diners, drive-ins and dives in our area; I haven't noticed problems at the ones near me. I don't doubt it happens, especially right after an episode featuring them airs, but I doubt the owners are complaining
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post

That can be a curse as well as a blessing. I remember the first episode of $40 a Day, Rachael Ray went to a little surfer/biker hangout at LA/Ventura County Line called Neptunes Net. I used to love to eat there. Steamed goodies in back, deep fried goodies up front. Place your order, they call your number to go pick it up, then you go find a seat.

After Rachael Ray ate there, you couldn't get near the place. They expanded the parking lot twice, put a huge picnic area above the parking lot for the overflow crowd, installed three times as many port-a-potties (the place never had indoor plumbing!) and still you have to arrive at off hours and send someone ahead to claim a table while you place your orders.
No problems at this place :) hopefully they got some business from it, but as far as I know it's still just a local favorite
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
He's visited half a dozen diners, drive-ins and dives in our area; I haven't noticed problems at the ones near me....
I've been on Boston roads and I've been on VA roads - trust me, those Boston roads were crowded and undriveable before Guy showed up! Making the eateries most anywhere in downtown Boston popular can only worsen an already bad situation.

Since we don't have cable my only experience with Guy Fieri was the TGIF commercials. Don't eat there anymore because of the commercials themselves! j//k However, he was on the Chew this week and I watched for the entire hour. Surprised myself that I could watch and enjoy him! Guess he's a lot different on his shows than the commercials, but I'm pretty sure I'd grow tired of him if he became hyper-hyping.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I find Guy funny and endearing. His enthusiasm for other people's food is contagious.