"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

C'mon, Jen. Tell us what you really think!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #52
Head Chef

Andy, you took the words out of my mouth...lol

Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I think he's a moronic asshat.
+1 Thank you!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

I stopped watching the FN. It is all about the "star" and no longer about the food. There is more hype than anything else. Heaven forbid if any one of their stars concentrate on the food and forget to smile at the camera.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #55
Head Chef

I saw him do a live cooking demo a few years back at a food and wine festival. He burned what he was making, but joked about it, which I thought was great. Very personable and fun to watch. All that being said, I agree with Addie in that I've all but stopped watching the food network. Its too " Hollywood " for me. Its all about show, and shoving celebrity down your throat. Ive made my way back to PBS and other less" hollywood" venues to learn how to cook, and avoid the " show" aspect of cooking.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

If you were to put say Paula Deen or Rachel Ray or Mark Summers or Bobby Flay or Giada or really any of the other Food Celebrities in as hosts I don't think the magic would be there.
I agree with these but I guess I was suggesting that there are other people, actors, known or unknown to us that would probably do just as good or better. I love the concept of the show, but find he runs out of things to say or lacks the originality as the series goes on. I mean, good for him. I'm sure he is a nice guy. But, he can get a bit repetitive after a while with his commentary. Maybe they should have gotten a comedian or something. I find he brings the show down.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I saw him do a live cooking demo a few years back at a food and wine festival. He burned what he was making, but joked about it, which I thought was great. Very personable and fun to watch. All that being said, I agree with Addie in that I've all but stopped watching the food network. Its too " Hollywood " for me. Its all about show, and shoving celebrity down your throat. Ive made my way back to PBS and other less" hollywood" venues to learn how to cook, and avoid the " show" aspect of cooking.
PBS knows how to do it right. Take a look at Pepin. Nothing Hollywood about him. You very rarely see him smile, But he really holds your interest. Sara Moulton is another one. She got her start on FN, but when they were cleaning house, she was the first to go and PBS snatched her up. She had the creditentials, but not the star quality they were looking for. PBS holds on to their people for a long time. Maryanne Esposito is a perfect example. You don't see her smiling into the camera. She is not afraid to keep her head down while she is doing her work. The folks on PBS work like we do at home. How many of you look up and put on a big smile while you tilt the bowl so everyone can see what is in your bowl?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
PBS knows how to do it right. Take a look at Pepin. Nothing Hollywood about him. You very rarely see him smile, But he really holds your interest. Sara Moulton is another one. She got her start on FN, but when they were cleaning house, she was the first to go and PBS snatched her up. She had the creditentials, but not the star quality they were looking for. PBS holds on to their people for a long time. Maryanne Esposito is a perfect example. You don't see her smiling into the camera. She is not afraid to keep her head down while she is doing her work. The folks on PBS work like we do at home. How many of you look up and put on a big smile while you tilt the bowl so everyone can see what is in your bowl?
Ive seen both Pepin, and Esposito at various food and wine demos. ( Newport , Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods). Both true professionals and great teachers of the art of cooking.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #59
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
If you've watched the old French Chef series on PBS, you see Julia as a rookie with no camera presence at all. That's not a criticism, just an observation. You can see someone spoke to her about the 'audience' behind the camera because every once in a while, in the middle of some process, she will lift her head up to look into the camera and flash a fake smile. It lasts about two seconds and it's gone.

Sara Moulton was the same way on FN. She must have picked it up working with Julia. Look up, flash a quick smile and back to work.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #60
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you've watched the old French Chef series on PBS, you see Julia as a rookie with no camera presence at all. That's not a criticism, just an observation. You can see someone spoke to her about the 'audience' behind the camera because every once in a while, in the middle of some process, she will lift her head up to look into the camera and flash a fake smile. It lasts about two seconds and it's gone.

Sara Moulton was the same way on FN. She must have picked it up working with Julia. Look up, flash a quick smile and back to work.
yes.