"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #61
Assistant Cook
 
Rebecca likes food's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: la porte
Posts: 2
Haha, oh man. I agree with others who say food network is about the stars now and not the food. Like, it's turning into reality TV. what happened to MTV is happening to fn. I actually got to meet Guy. He was doing a show at a casino, and I was one of 3 in my culinary class that got to go help. Ended up being in part of the casino anyone under 21 couldn't be on...not sure why it wasn't figured out sooner... Anyways, so they wanted us to cook in a parking garage, and we were like "lol that's gross, no." He was very polite and understandable about it, and it's such a ridiculous story, and it never comes up in conversation, so I love to get to tell it :p
__________________

__________________
Rebecca likes food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #62
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I was wondering what food lovers and cooks opinion on Guy Fieri was. All my friends who don't enjoy cooking and food as much as I do thinks he is a tool, a douche', etc etc etc.

I think he is an amazing tv personality and his show is so resourceful. If you are traveling it is nice to know where to go eat in that area. I've been to multiple places where he has been to, but I went there first before I saw the episodes, and some places are good and some places aren't.
I'm going to sound a bit waspish here but if you like him and his programmes it doesn't really matter what other people think.

The touring programmes don't much appeal to me personally as I'm 5,000 miles away but I've seen a few of the programmes where he cooks with his children. I do think the latter concept is great. Over here, cookery programmes involving children are usually very juvenile and it is great to see kids involved in "proper" adult cooking. Children need to know that cooking good food isn't a chore or boring or something for experts and I think these programmes go a long way towards showing them this.
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #63
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
That can be a curse as well as a blessing. I remember the first episode of $40 a Day, Rachael Ray went to a little surfer/biker hangout at LA/Ventura County Line called Neptunes Net. I used to love to eat there. Steamed goodies in back, deep fried goodies up front. Place your order, they call your number to go pick it up, then you go find a seat.

After Rachael Ray ate there, you couldn't get near the place. They expanded the parking lot twice, put a huge picnic area above the parking lot for the overflow crowd, installed three times as many port-a-potties (the place never had indoor plumbing!) and still you have to arrive at off hours and send someone ahead to claim a table while you place your orders.
The same thing happened with a little restaurant we used to go to in Paris. It was featured in an article on eating well and cheaply in France in one of the Sunday newspaper supplements and the next time we went, it was crowded, the food quality had bombed and the prices gone through the roof and - most significantly - the locals had stopped using it.

Publicity can be a bad thing as well as a good one
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #64
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I stopped watching the FN. It is all about the "star" and no longer about the food. There is more hype than anything else. Heaven forbid if any one of their stars concentrate on the food and forget to smile at the camera.
Food Network UK must be very selective then. Or perhaps it's me.

I tend to go for Ina Garten, Anna Olson's baking programmes, Nigella Lawson (although she's a bit derivative and doesn't always credit other cooks when she uses their recipes) and Giada Di Laurentis, among others who actually show you how it's done.

I only have limited tolerance for the cooking competitions between professional chefs, cupcake makers, etc., and those competitions to find who can eat as many giant burgers in as short a time as possible without being sick are beyond gross and very suspect from a health education point of view as they set a very bad example to children and less discriminating adults.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm going to sound a bit waspish here but if you like him and his programmes it doesn't really matter what other people think.

The touring programmes don't much appeal to me personally as I'm 5,000 miles away but I've seen a few of the programmes where he cooks with his children. I do think the latter concept is great. Over here, cookery programmes involving children are usually very juvenile and it is great to see kids involved in "proper" adult cooking. Children need to know that cooking good food isn't a chore or boring or something for experts and I think these programmes go a long way towards showing them this.
All my kids learned prep work in the kitchen. My oldest son went with his father in the summer and he put him to work in the kitchen where he could keep an eye on him while he prepped the foods for the day. They all had to take turns in the kitchen with me cutting, mixing, watching, etc. As a result, they all turned out to be great home cooks. My middle son even worked a couple of years in restaurants. But decided the hours were too long and too draining. Went on to installing carpeting and floors, then when his knees gave out, learned plumbing. But he still remembers his lessons in cooking. A great cook. Can make a steak taste like a steak.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #66
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Strange Fruit

Just been watching Nadia G on Food Network UK. She was doing a "making up" menu. The sweet course was apple crumble served with candied maple bacon. Is this a Canadian thing? Weird!

I know that we Brits have some very odd foods - black pudding (a sort of fatty blood sausage) and haggis (really, you don't want to know) to name but two but candied bacon?
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just been watching Nadia G on Food Network UK. She was doing a "making up" menu. The sweet course was apple crumble served with candied maple bacon. Is this a Canadian thing? Weird!

I know that we Brits have some very odd foods - black pudding (a sort of fatty blood sausage) and haggis (really, you don't want to know) to name but two but candied bacon?
You would be hard put to believe the things we Americans and Canadians do with bacon. We love to weave strips of cooked bacon into a basket for salads. Some bars serve strips of crispy bacon as a stirrer for drinks. There is one bar in NY City that keeps bowls of crispy bacon on the bar for customers to nibble on while they are drinking. Bacon Rules here in North America. Off with their head for anyone who doesn't like bacon!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #68
Head Chef
 
jusnikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,022
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You would be hard put to believe the things we Americans and Canadians do with bacon. We love to weave strips of cooked bacon into a basket for salads. Some bars serve strips of crispy bacon as a stirrer for drinks. There is one bar in NY City that keeps bowls of crispy bacon on the bar for customers to nibble on while they are drinking. Bacon Rules here in North America. Off with their head for anyone who doesn't like bacon!
What she said....

If someone tells me they don't like bacon then I'm just a liiiittle suspicious of them...
__________________
jusnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:09 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,044
There are some cooks who weave a blanket of raw bacon and then wrap it around a roast. Bacon and Peanut Butter Sandwich. Just bacon sandwiches. Bacon and mayo sandwiches.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #70
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There are some cooks who weave a blanket of raw bacon and then wrap it around a roast. Bacon and Peanut Butter Sandwich. Just bacon sandwiches. Bacon and mayo sandwiches.

Especially when the weave is wrapped around breakfast sausage which is, in turn, wrapped around cheese.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.