"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #81
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusnikki View Post
What she said....

If someone tells me they don't like bacon then I'm just a liiiittle suspicious of them...
I love bacon. Bacon butties (Brit slang for bacon sandwiches) are one of my favourite foods. It was the candied and served with something sweet that I thought was odd and a bit bleuch - We're used to bacon always being use in savoury dishes.

Mind you, when I think about it we eat sweet apple sauce with roast pork and sweet redcurrant sauce with lamb and venison. As I say, we have no room to talk about strange foods over here!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And those aren't exactly new ideas either. Elvis' purported favorite sandwich was a grilled peanut butter/bacon/banana sandwich. I'll pass. When my parents would take me to Cedar Point I'd get to invite a friend along because I'm an only child. We packed a picnic basket most of the time. My friend Caroline would bring a bacon and mayo sandwich for her lunch. It looked so good, and my Mom so wouldn't make one for me.
In reactionary Brit cooking Mayo goes with salad - period. However, when I first went to Menorca many years ago I was introduced to mayo with roast meat, in particular pork or chicken. Yum! So I'm with you on the bacon and mayo sandwich.

I'm also partial to a chicken, mayo and apricot jam sandwich (sort of coronation chicken without the curry flavour). And crunchy peanut butter with grated carrot on granary or wholemeal bread.

Candied bacon is beginning to sound less and less weird!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My favorite is BAT sandwich...Bacon, Avocado and Tomato.
I'm salivating at the very thought of it. I haven't had lunch yet and I've got an avocado in the kitchen......
Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #84
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I love bacon. Bacon butties (Brit slang for bacon sandwiches) are one of my favourite foods. It was the candied and served with something sweet that I thought was odd and a bit bleuch - We're used to bacon always being use in savoury dishes.

Mind you, when I think about it we eat sweet apple sauce with roast pork and sweet redcurrant sauce with lamb and venison. As I say, we have no room to talk about strange foods over here!
I love bacon but I don't know if I'm with candying it and putting it in baked good. Then again, when I eat it with pancakes and syrup it's sort of the same context...I guess lol.

There is a restaurant here that sells bacon jam... Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but they can't keep it in stock. I will try it if I can ever get my hands on a jar of it.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #85
Assistant Cook

FN found a gem in Guy - he is a decent family man who respects his parents and his wife - and loves his boys. I wish him continued success.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #86
Proud American

I watch many of these shows at times for nice ideas.

With love,
~Cat
Old 02-16-2014, 10:53 AM   #87
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I was wondering what food lovers and cooks opinion on Guy Fieri was. All my friends who don't enjoy cooking and food as much as I do thinks he is a tool, a douche', etc etc etc.

I think he is an amazing tv personality and his show is so resourceful. If you are traveling it is nice to know where to go eat in that area. I've been to multiple places where he has been to, but I went there first before I saw the episodes, and some places are good and some places aren't.
Here is what NYC thought of him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/di...es-square.html
Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #88
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post

At least what they thought of his new restaurant.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #89
Head Chef

His DDD show is okay and he is entertainingat times. BUT, he is always stic king his fingers in the food being prepared and the way he stuffs those sandwiches in his mouth is just a tad gross.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:49 PM   #90
Executive Chef

I agree with that article. He may be a nice guy personally but .....

He became popular by featuring small Mom and Pop joints. Featuring "Real American" food made by hard working, dedicated restaurant owners. Now, he has sold out and started franchises that don't deliver on the claims, and are anything but what he endorses on his programs. Just a figure head like any other Franchise. I call hypocrisy on that and have no interest supporting anything like that. He also is no longer "the little, blue collar, ordinary Guy". Just another celeb selling concept with no substance...

His next tv show should be called Food Franchises, Farces and Failures....