Guy Fieri opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find Guy funny and endearing. His enthusiasm for other people's food is contagious.

I couldn't have said it better myself PF! Yep, endearing is the word! He seems to care so much for other people and making it a point to make them feel wonderful about their cooking that he's made me a fan for sure. He's a rare shining star in a cut throat business. His Mama should be proud.

Guy is the Foodie's Foodie. I wouldn't care if he did his show in shorts and flip-flops...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Did you see his bloopers show today with DDD outtakes?

I like Guy, he's the real deal.

i wish folks could see how tv werks from behind the camera.

he could be a miserable bastard, but if it sells, they'll keep pushing him.

yeah, that's a bad lead in for my opinion, but it's just stating what i've seen for 28 years in the biz.

ok, so, i like him too, and from what i've heard (3rd or 4th or 5th person) he is the real deal. a decent guy, family values, who is a foodie through and through.

he's able to pull off the "everything's great" b.s. with honesty, unlike rachael ray did a few years back before she became an inferior orange plastic salesperson that makes me want to stab myself in the forehead with a fork, much like too much cotton candy does. (i'm bad at circuses. "i can do that!?!)

anyway, if i haf one criticism of ol'guy, it would be how he prounences his name: fietti. it's freaking fierrrrieeee, already.

but that's california italians for ya. twice, umm a dozen times removed.

oh yeah, and he needs to start some preacher curls to pull off the tattoos.

otherwise, he's too cool for school in my book. i watch him as a friend that i wish i was there.

He's done quite a bit to promote little mom & pop places that people might not know about otherwise. Just here in the Twin Cities alone, we've had something like 20 restaurants featured on the show. My wife and I have picked up a lot of good restaurant tips as a result.

One in particular that's turned out to be a favorite is Emily's Lebanese Deli in Minneapolis. Talk about a hole-in-the-wall. I don't think there's even 10 tables in the joint and they're jammed so close together you're practically sitting on your neighbor's lap. But the food is absolutely delicious - and cheap.

Just down the street from Emily's is another place we like, the Modern Cafe. Best meatloaf in town. I don't know if they're making it out of t-bone or what, but honestly it tastes like a good steak.

Now I'm hungry.

I like the show, but I think you could have another host and it be just as good. It's the food and production that make it. I can't really relate to him. He is a one trick pony as far as I am concerned, and it gets old fast....

I like the show, but I think you could have another host and it be just as good. It's the food and production that make it. I can't really relate to him. He is a one trick pony as far as I am concerned, and it gets old fast....

I was trying to imagine this and not sure I can.

I think Guy makes the show because of his personality and his genuine enthusiasm for the other people's food. And when he isn't a fan, you know it.

If you were to put say Paula Deen or Rachel Ray or Mark Summers or Bobby Flay or Giada or really any of the other Food Celebrities in as hosts I don't think the magic would be there.

I stopped watching the FN. It is all about the "star" and no longer about the food. There is more hype than anything else. Heaven forbid if any one of their stars concentrate on the food and forget to smile at the camera. :angel:

I saw him do a live cooking demo a few years back at a food and wine festival. He burned what he was making, but joked about it, which I thought was great. Very personable and fun to watch. All that being said, I agree with Addie in that I've all but stopped watching the food network. Its too " Hollywood " for me. Its all about show, and shoving celebrity down your throat. Ive made my way back to PBS and other less" hollywood" venues to learn how to cook, and avoid the " show" aspect of cooking.

If you were to put say Paula Deen or Rachel Ray or Mark Summers or Bobby Flay or Giada or really any of the other Food Celebrities in as hosts I don't think the magic would be there.
I agree with these but I guess I was suggesting that there are other people, actors, known or unknown to us that would probably do just as good or better. I love the concept of the show, but find he runs out of things to say or lacks the originality as the series goes on. I mean, good for him. I'm sure he is a nice guy. But, he can get a bit repetitive after a while with his commentary. Maybe they should have gotten a comedian or something. I find he brings the show down.

I saw him do a live cooking demo a few years back at a food and wine festival. He burned what he was making, but joked about it, which I thought was great. Very personable and fun to watch. All that being said, I agree with Addie in that I've all but stopped watching the food network. Its too " Hollywood " for me. Its all about show, and shoving celebrity down your throat. Ive made my way back to PBS and other less" hollywood" venues to learn how to cook, and avoid the " show" aspect of cooking.

PBS knows how to do it right. Take a look at Pepin. Nothing Hollywood about him. You very rarely see him smile, But he really holds your interest. Sara Moulton is another one. She got her start on FN, but when they were cleaning house, she was the first to go and PBS snatched her up. She had the creditentials, but not the star quality they were looking for. PBS holds on to their people for a long time. Maryanne Esposito is a perfect example. You don't see her smiling into the camera. She is not afraid to keep her head down while she is doing her work. The folks on PBS work like we do at home. How many of you look up and put on a big smile while you tilt the bowl so everyone can see what is in your bowl? :angel:

PBS knows how to do it right. Take a look at Pepin. Nothing Hollywood about him. You very rarely see him smile, But he really holds your interest. Sara Moulton is another one. She got her start on FN, but when they were cleaning house, she was the first to go and PBS snatched her up. She had the creditentials, but not the star quality they were looking for. PBS holds on to their people for a long time. Maryanne Esposito is a perfect example. You don't see her smiling into the camera. She is not afraid to keep her head down while she is doing her work. The folks on PBS work like we do at home. How many of you look up and put on a big smile while you tilt the bowl so everyone can see what is in your bowl? :angel:

Ive seen both Pepin, and Esposito at various food and wine demos. ( Newport , Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods). Both true professionals and great teachers of the art of cooking.

If you've watched the old French Chef series on PBS, you see Julia as a rookie with no camera presence at all. That's not a criticism, just an observation. You can see someone spoke to her about the 'audience' behind the camera because every once in a while, in the middle of some process, she will lift her head up to look into the camera and flash a fake smile. It lasts about two seconds and it's gone.

Sara Moulton was the same way on FN. She must have picked it up working with Julia. Look up, flash a quick smile and back to work.

If you've watched the old French Chef series on PBS, you see Julia as a rookie with no camera presence at all. That's not a criticism, just an observation. You can see someone spoke to her about the 'audience' behind the camera because every once in a while, in the middle of some process, she will lift her head up to look into the camera and flash a fake smile. It lasts about two seconds and it's gone.

Sara Moulton was the same way on FN. She must have picked it up working with Julia. Look up, flash a quick smile and back to work.
yes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom