"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
...The Galloping Gourmet, Wok with Yan, and James Barber. I think they are all dead now.

Jeff Smith is the only dead one of the bunch.

Dead or Alive? - Main Page

Old 04-05-2011, 03:13 PM   #12
Head Chef

Jeff is gone to heaven. I liked his show, Julia Child, and Jaques Pepin -- that's all.

And yes, I did buy stuff based on their recommendations/use -- never regretted it.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

never bought their pans, etc. i did buy a couple rachel ray cookbooks about ten years ago. i have been boycott the network its self. got tired of reruns and reruns of reruns.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i wish everyone could come with me to work (in tv) and see why groupies of any kind are silly.

when you see the "stars" stumble in with no makeup and dressed in their own sweats, picking their noses and so on, you realize they are no different than you and i. maybe just luckier.

they are often decent people but no more than an average joe. what does suprise you is their closest staff can be quite pompous and rude because they somehow think that hitching their wagon to a star makes them better than the sycophants they really are.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Jeff Smith is the only dead one of the bunch.

Dead or Alive? - Main Page
James Barber was the Urban Peasant. He died in 2007. So, I'm batting 500.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I would say there are some cooks that I like more than others because I like their style or recipes but I won't just buy their "stuff". I'll buy their cookbooks because I love to read cookbooks, but that is about it. Although I will admit if I ever see that large oval/elliptical pan that RR uses I'd buy it. I think that shape is great for so many things.

As to the "dumbing down" of Food TV, yes, they have changed a lot. But so has TV since the network premiered. Look at all the "reality" cooking shows, contests, and challenges all over the channels. People want that "thrill" of seeing what happens, disasters, and "how bad can it get / what bad thing will happen"? Remember shows are about ratings and making money/profit. If that is what gets the audience, that is what they are going to make.

I agree that some of the cooking shows are at a more basic level than before and what some of us grew up with, but how many of us also had someone in the family that cooked all the time, that maybe taught us or we got to watch cook. Or maybe we took what use to be called "home economics" classes. Many of us had that background. These days so many people don't cook other than "peel back the plastic and cook for X minutes" it is no wonder things are more basic.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i wish everyone could come with me to work (in tv) and see why groupies of any kind are silly.

when you see the "stars" stumble in with no makeup and dressed in their own sweats, picking their noses and so on, you realize they are no different than you and i. maybe just luckier.

they are often decent people but no more than an average joe. what does suprise you is their closest staff can be quite pompous and rude because they somehow think that hitching their wagon to a star makes them better than the sycophants they really are.
Very true Tom mate, I spent my early years doing security within the music industry.The old moto of make lots of friends on the way up or you will be lonely on the way down
Ps some of the best food I watched being made was on tour.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I just gave in to a "stuff" bought a Giada cast iron braiseing pan. heavy as lead but it's great. Been wanting a pan to use for braising,
kadesma
Old 04-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

you can't go wrong with heavy cast iron no matter who's name is on it, kads. good luck with it.

i've been eyeing a ci dutch oven with the boy scout fleur de lis symbol on the lid.

i will always remember the first time i saw a ci dutch oven. i was a scout camping at philmont in new mexico. our guide to get us started.on the trail was tbis little 5' tall guy that we, even as high school freshman, were bigger.

we all snickered behind his back those first few days and 30 miles or so on the trail. we gave him the nickname chisolm from an ol' john wayne character sort of mocking him. (hey, it was the late 70's and a mocking counter culture was the norm).

well, on the final night before he cuts us loose on the rest of our 125 mile itinerary, he pulls a giant ci dutch oven and several large cans of sliced peaches out of his pack.
now, every backpacker does everything they can do to reduce weight, but this little, wiry guy hauled that behemoth just so he could make us a peach cobbler to start off our adventure alone as a troop.

i will never forget the lessons learned there, and when i saw the scout dutch oven recently, i decided i will have to repeat that great lesson with my son.

i hope i don't have a heart attack doing it, lol, come to think of it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
Head Chef

We bought a Mario Batali enameled cast iron pot for Craig's brother as a thank you gift for house/pet sitting for us. The reason we bought it though was that it was a size he had been looking for and couldn't find to make a cassoulet recipe he wanted to try and apparently you had to use the size/type of pan called for in the receipe to get it to come out right. I had to order it off Amazon, thank goodness for free shipping on orders over $25!!, and once it came Craig loved it so much we had to get one for us too. I don't really like the weight of it (HEAVY) but will admit it cooks great and would definitely buy more of his brand.

p.s. Craig loves to make gumbo with it, almost impossible to burn the roux in it since it's so heavy.