"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Have we become "groupies?"

Do you think some people become "groupies" when it comes to TV chefs and cooking shows? Popular cooking "stars" definitely sell a lot of cookbooks and products bearing their names...How do you feel about all of it? Just curious. Thanks...

Old 04-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Master Chef

There are "groupies" out there for TV chefs just like with any "celebrity" that appears in show. I personally am not one. I enjoy Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay and Guy Fiery. I don't buy something just because it has their name on it but I will try some of their recipes (that I get online without buying their books). My SIL is a Paula Deen groupie. She bought tickets to her "show" in Richmond, and got the deluxe seating and lunch with Paula. It's all we heard about for several weeks afterward.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
There are "groupies" out there for TV chefs just like with any "celebrity" that appears in show. I personally am not one. I enjoy Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay and Guy Fiery. I don't buy something just because it has their name on it but I will try some of their recipes (that I get online without buying their books). My SIL is a Paula Deen groupie. She bought tickets to her "show" in Richmond, and got the deluxe seating and lunch with Paula. It's all we heard about for several weeks afterward.
Thanks for posting. What are Paula Dean's "shows" like?...I'm like you! I enjoy learning new things but I don't want to become a "groupie" or a "follower!" And I don't want to buy "star" brands and products just to look "in with the in crowd!"
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Wine Guy

I guess I'm kind of old school. In the last few years Food Network has (IMO) become less substance and more fluff programming. Although I don't mind watching "Chopped" or "Iron Chef" on occasion, I prefer more traditional cooking programs. I've never bought a piece of cookware simply because it had a celebrity's name on it.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I, too, like Paula Deen, but it's because I like the food she makes. I like her personality too, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a show. I like a lot of others on Food Network more for their personality than for the food.

I always liked Bobby Flay, but on his cooking shows, his food is all about spicy. It wasn't until the Throwdown series that I could watch a whole show and enjoy the food being made.

I like lots of others there, but won't watch if the menu isn't something I might like to make.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

I don't watch food shows much. I like Paula because she tends to make dishes my family will eat. I like Rachel Ray for her casualness and her ability to let you know you can "play" with a recipe. Add more of this if you like and less of that if you don't. I like Bobby Flay's throwdown mainly to see the competition but I also enjoy watching him in the kitchen creating his entry. I'm still not clear what exactly went on at the Paula Deen show in Richmond because we only heard about how nice Paula was and how much she raved over my niece and what they talked about at lunch etc. and didn't hear about the "show."
Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Maybe, if I had programs to watch, I would get into certain celebs. I have no idea who any of those names or shows are. I remember the Frugal Gourmet, The Galloping Gourmet, Wok with Yan, and James Barber. I think they are all dead now.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Sadly there is not much serious "chef" cooking on Food Network anymore. Emeril is gone, Batali is gone, Bobby Flay doesn't cook the way we know he can. It has become the network of easy recipes for people who think they like to cook but don't really want to have to work too hard at it. In other words they've dumbed it down to appeal to more people and make a buck IMHO
Old 04-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Maybe, if I had programs to watch, I would get into certain celebs. I have no idea who any of those names or shows are. I remember the Frugal Gourmet, The Galloping Gourmet, Wok with Yan, and James Barber. I think they are all dead now.
I don't think Graham Kerr, Jeff Smith are dead. I know Martin Yan is not dead. Don't know the other guy and Jeff Smith was yanked from our PBS after he was accused of being a pedophile.

BTW, I'd rather watch reruns of Justin Wilson and Julia Child than some of the "chefs" on Food Network now.

Craig
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Yikes! I am really out of the loop. I need to get some more tinfoil for my rabbit ears.