Have we become "groupies?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BerryBerry

Assistant Cook
Do you think some people become "groupies" when it comes to TV chefs and cooking shows? Popular cooking "stars" definitely sell a lot of cookbooks and products bearing their names...How do you feel about all of it? Just curious. Thanks...

There are "groupies" out there for TV chefs just like with any "celebrity" that appears in show. I personally am not one. I enjoy Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay and Guy Fiery. I don't buy something just because it has their name on it but I will try some of their recipes (that I get online without buying their books). My SIL is a Paula Deen groupie. She bought tickets to her "show" in Richmond, and got the deluxe seating and lunch with Paula. It's all we heard about for several weeks afterward.

There are "groupies" out there for TV chefs just like with any "celebrity" that appears in show. I personally am not one. I enjoy Paula Deen, Rachel Ray, Bobby Flay and Guy Fiery. I don't buy something just because it has their name on it but I will try some of their recipes (that I get online without buying their books). My SIL is a Paula Deen groupie. She bought tickets to her "show" in Richmond, and got the deluxe seating and lunch with Paula. It's all we heard about for several weeks afterward.

Thanks for posting. What are Paula Dean's "shows" like?...I'm like you! I enjoy learning new things but I don't want to become a "groupie" or a "follower!" And I don't want to buy "star" brands and products just to look "in with the in crowd!"

I guess I'm kind of old school. In the last few years Food Network has (IMO) become less substance and more fluff programming. Although I don't mind watching "Chopped" or "Iron Chef" on occasion, I prefer more traditional cooking programs. I've never bought a piece of cookware simply because it had a celebrity's name on it.

I, too, like Paula Deen, but it's because I like the food she makes. I like her personality too, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to a show. I like a lot of others on Food Network more for their personality than for the food.

I always liked Bobby Flay, but on his cooking shows, his food is all about spicy. It wasn't until the Throwdown series that I could watch a whole show and enjoy the food being made.

I like lots of others there, but won't watch if the menu isn't something I might like to make.

I don't watch food shows much. I like Paula because she tends to make dishes my family will eat. I like Rachel Ray for her casualness and her ability to let you know you can "play" with a recipe. Add more of this if you like and less of that if you don't. I like Bobby Flay's throwdown mainly to see the competition but I also enjoy watching him in the kitchen creating his entry. I'm still not clear what exactly went on at the Paula Deen show in Richmond because we only heard about how nice Paula was and how much she raved over my niece and what they talked about at lunch etc. and didn't hear about the "show."

Maybe, if I had programs to watch, I would get into certain celebs. I have no idea who any of those names or shows are. I remember the Frugal Gourmet, The Galloping Gourmet, Wok with Yan, and James Barber. I think they are all dead now.:ohmy:

Sadly there is not much serious "chef" cooking on Food Network anymore. Emeril is gone, Batali is gone, Bobby Flay doesn't cook the way we know he can. It has become the network of easy recipes for people who think they like to cook but don't really want to have to work too hard at it. In other words they've dumbed it down to appeal to more people and make a buck IMHO

Last edited:
Maybe, if I had programs to watch, I would get into certain celebs. I have no idea who any of those names or shows are. I remember the Frugal Gourmet, The Galloping Gourmet, Wok with Yan, and James Barber. I think they are all dead now.:ohmy:

I don't think Graham Kerr, Jeff Smith are dead. I know Martin Yan is not dead. Don't know the other guy and Jeff Smith was yanked from our PBS after he was accused of being a pedophile.

BTW, I'd rather watch reruns of Justin Wilson and Julia Child than some of the "chefs" on Food Network now.

Craig

Last edited:
Jeff is gone to heaven. I liked his show, Julia Child, and Jaques Pepin -- that's all.

And yes, I did buy stuff based on their recommendations/use -- never regretted it.

never bought their pans, etc. i did buy a couple rachel ray cookbooks about ten years ago. i have been boycott the network its self. got tired of reruns and reruns of reruns.

i wish everyone could come with me to work (in tv) and see why groupies of any kind are silly.

when you see the "stars" stumble in with no makeup and dressed in their own sweats, picking their noses and so on, you realize they are no different than you and i. maybe just luckier.

they are often decent people but no more than an average joe. what does suprise you is their closest staff can be quite pompous and rude because they somehow think that hitching their wagon to a star makes them better than the sycophants they really are.

Last edited:
I would say there are some cooks that I like more than others because I like their style or recipes but I won't just buy their "stuff". I'll buy their cookbooks because I love to read cookbooks, but that is about it. Although I will admit if I ever see that large oval/elliptical pan that RR uses I'd buy it. I think that shape is great for so many things.

As to the "dumbing down" of Food TV, yes, they have changed a lot. But so has TV since the network premiered. Look at all the "reality" cooking shows, contests, and challenges all over the channels. People want that "thrill" of seeing what happens, disasters, and "how bad can it get / what bad thing will happen"? Remember shows are about ratings and making money/profit. If that is what gets the audience, that is what they are going to make.

I agree that some of the cooking shows are at a more basic level than before and what some of us grew up with, but how many of us also had someone in the family that cooked all the time, that maybe taught us or we got to watch cook. Or maybe we took what use to be called "home economics" classes. Many of us had that background. These days so many people don't cook other than "peel back the plastic and cook for X minutes" it is no wonder things are more basic.

i wish everyone could come with me to work (in tv) and see why groupies of any kind are silly.

when you see the "stars" stumble in with no makeup and dressed in their own sweats, picking their noses and so on, you realize they are no different than you and i. maybe just luckier.

they are often decent people but no more than an average joe. what does suprise you is their closest staff can be quite pompous and rude because they somehow think that hitching their wagon to a star makes them better than the sycophants they really are.
Very true Tom mate, I spent my early years doing security within the music industry.The old moto of make lots of friends on the way up or you will be lonely on the way down:)
Ps some of the best food I watched being made was on tour.

Last edited:
I just gave in to a "stuff" bought a Giada cast iron braiseing pan. heavy as lead but it's great. Been wanting a pan to use for braising,
kadesma:)

you can't go wrong with heavy cast iron no matter who's name is on it, kads. good luck with it.

i've been eyeing a ci dutch oven with the boy scout fleur de lis symbol on the lid.

i will always remember the first time i saw a ci dutch oven. i was a scout camping at philmont in new mexico. our guide to get us started.on the trail was tbis little 5' tall guy that we, even as high school freshman, were bigger.

we all snickered behind his back those first few days and 30 miles or so on the trail. we gave him the nickname chisolm from an ol' john wayne character sort of mocking him. (hey, it was the late 70's and a mocking counter culture was the norm).

well, on the final night before he cuts us loose on the rest of our 125 mile itinerary, he pulls a giant ci dutch oven and several large cans of sliced peaches out of his pack.
now, every backpacker does everything they can do to reduce weight, but this little, wiry guy hauled that behemoth just so he could make us a peach cobbler to start off our adventure alone as a troop.

i will never forget the lessons learned there, and when i saw the scout dutch oven recently, i decided i will have to repeat that great lesson with my son.

i hope i don't have a heart attack doing it, lol, come to think of it.

We bought a Mario Batali enameled cast iron pot for Craig's brother as a thank you gift for house/pet sitting for us. The reason we bought it though was that it was a size he had been looking for and couldn't find to make a cassoulet recipe he wanted to try and apparently you had to use the size/type of pan called for in the receipe to get it to come out right. I had to order it off Amazon, thank goodness for free shipping on orders over $25!!, and once it came Craig loved it so much we had to get one for us too. I don't really like the weight of it (HEAVY) but will admit it cooks great and would definitely buy more of his brand.

p.s. Craig loves to make gumbo with it, almost impossible to burn the roux in it since it's so heavy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom