"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Originally Posted by Linux View Post
In Hell's Kitchen Chef Ramsey is a pig to work with, no doubt. But I can't abide him and won't have his leary face and foul mouth sullying my living room, screaming out of my telly.

His reputation in the past as a business man leaves much to be desired.
Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I can't stand the low-life scum-bag full of organic fertilizer.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
I hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but Hells Kitchen is absolutely fake. The guy that won last year and was going to be the chef at Araxi in Whistler during the Olympics in 2010, shucked oysters which is the next step after the dishpit in that restaurant. They are all actors and it is entertaining to be sure, but its absolutely fake. I know someone that worked for him in England and he is not like that at all.

chefmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
I recently read an interview with Heather West. She was pretty supportive of the show. After winning, she received a year's contract with a restaurant in Vegas, but it was not the prize advertised. She stated that she enjoyed the experience and seems to still be cooking. Also, she was fairly supportive of Chef Ramsey.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Real or not, even if it follows the path of professional wrestling, I find it entertaining, and I can now guess who stays and who goes. The most contentious or "the problem child" usually stays - for entertainment! The dull ones go.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I can't stand the low-life scum-bag full of organic fertilizer.

Totally agree. It may be an act but I don't care - my skin crawls when he is on TV (which is only by accident). I tried to watch it once but practically felt grimy with all the inane dramatics and language. Please, give me a real cooking show without all this extra stuff that I can actually learn from!
"The kitchen is a country in which there are always discoveries to be made."
Grimod de la Reyniere
fricassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:59 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
Apparently, he was trained that way when he was learning. I do tend to believe he is more like this than not, especially after all the stories about his love life came out and the way he treated a female journalist while in Australia. I used to like him, forgiving his behaviour because he truly does seem to care about the food, but now I just find his behaviour childish and unforgivable. There's just no reason to go on the way he does.
SugarShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #17
Executive Chef
Gordon Ramsey's got nothing on me, this is my throne in our Hells Dining Click image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 018.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	10342

Click image for larger version

Name:	padeswood 034.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	10343room
ps I'm not a satanist I just collect antiques
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 AM   #18
Assistant Cook
Bolas De Fraile: I don't see this chair as Satanic, more a representative of old land gods, such as Pan or Cernunnos. Even if you were a Satanist, so what? I know peoplefrom all sorts of religions, Satanism included, didn't stop them being unique, even likeable, people.
SugarShall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
Speaking of which, I looked up Gordon Ramsey on Twitter. He's actually a pretty nice guy. On Twitter at least.

It's either he's paid to act all angry in Hell's Kitchen or he really hates people who screw up. Either way, there is NO WAY I'd join Hell's Kitchen. Can't cook under pressure.
McAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Ramsey seems like a pretty good chef to me but this is not a cooking program: it's a reality show. Reality shows are all about personal confrontations and I don't enjoy confrontations, although I sometimes watch the show out of the same motivation that I look over as I pass the scene of a dreadful auto accident, perhaps in hope of seeing blood or perhaps in hope of not seeing blood.

What I hate most: the bleeping and foul language which makes it almost impossible to determine what is being said.

What I wish most: that they would actually talk about cooking and impart some useful information about cooking. Alas I've never seen that on this show.

I'd rather watch a cooking show where they actually teach something you can learn to help you cook better. But alas when I'm clicking channels and HK is the only thing on, I'd rather watch people fighting about cooking food than watch nothing at all. It must be telling that I often just turn off the TV and go read a novel. Too bad I can't entertain myself reading cookbooks but I've never enjoyed that unless I was entertaining the idea of cooking something, an idea that doesn't interest me much after dinner and having had my fill.

Yet I watch the show anyway... Sometimes.

Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote