"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 01-31-2016, 06:51 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
He's not on the Food Network, he's on Fox. That explains a lot.

3 or 4 of Bostons better chefs, well-trained, competent and successful have been on so not everyone is a dud.

This season though... Good lord I'd last until the top 8! They all seem like young, clueless morons.

And why is Christina leading the women's brigade??🤔🤔

It's way too early to pick out a leader or even a dark horse. Meese will likely be gone soon, though ....
Christina -- the previous winner on Hell's Kitchen? I guess she's like Ramsay's assistant chef at the pass -- helping to check food before it goes out. She does seem kind of angry -- yelling at them a lot. But I am sure they cut out 99% of the footage where she is NOT yelling.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #22
Master Chef

My question is if GR is such a highly respected "French trained Chef" why is his foul mouth and demeaning antics worth the money it costs to produce these tv shows?
Interesting, although not surprising, he's sold out to a better way to make a buck.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:07 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My question is if GR is such a highly respected "French trained Chef" why is his foul mouth and demeaning antics worth the money it costs to produce these tv shows?
Interesting, although not surprising, he's sold out to a better way to make a buck.
It's worth the money to produce these shows, because the masses are pretty unrefined. They like to see people getting yelled at. So they watch his shows a lot which means the ad revenue is huge -- basically just appealing to the masses in order to earn more money.

Polite, dignified people are boring to the average TV viewer. Julia Child in her heyday probably did not get as many viewers as Ramsay does today, unfortunately. Well, of course she was on public TV (which has a greater good/purpose), so the ad revenue didn't play as big a part as it does on other channels.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Christina -- the previous winner on Hell's Kitchen? I guess she's like Ramsay's assistant chef at the pass -- helping to check food before it goes out. She does seem kind of angry -- yelling at them a lot. But I am sure they cut out 99% of the footage where she is NOT yelling.
Should have made myself clearer.

Christina did win Hells Kitchen a few seasons ago but now she is the head chef for Gordon Ramsay's entire restaurant empire.

What's she doing on the show?
Old 02-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I started my working career in the business world. As a street kid, I could swear with the best of them. Working cured me of that the very first day I ever went to work. Dang and Dag Nab It are my two strongest swear words. Even my kids are surprised that I don't swear considering it is all around me.

We have one resident (a woman) who can put a fleet of truck drivers along with some dock workers to shame with her filthy mouth. I try my best to avoid her. I never comment when someone is using foul language. Not unless it is really bad. Then I speak up. I have to admit. I tend to look down on mainly women who have a dirty mouth. And I am not too forgiving toward the men either.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Christina did win Hells Kitchen a few seasons ago but now she is the head chef for Gordon Ramsay's entire restaurant empire.

They never said, or else I missed it. She just showed up one day.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
It's worth the money to produce these shows, because the masses are pretty unrefined. They like to see people getting yelled at. So they watch his shows a lot which means the ad revenue is huge -- basically just appealing to the masses in order to earn more money.

Polite, dignified people are boring to the average TV viewer. Julia Child in her heyday probably did not get as many viewers as Ramsay does today, unfortunately. Well, of course she was on public TV (which has a greater good/purpose), so the ad revenue didn't play as big a part as it does on other channels.
Gee, thanks. So nice to know I'm among the great unwashed masses
Old 02-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's worth the money because the show has a large audience, which means lots of advertising dollars. It's my understanding that swearing is not all that unusual in restaurant kitchens. Check out Anthony Bourdain's "Kitchen Confidential," for example.

He still runs his restaurant empire, so I don't think he's "sold out." It's just another business opportunity. The shows don't take all that long to shoot.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

She's acting as the sous chef. It's probably just temporary for the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell's...U.S._season_15)
Old 02-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Gee, thanks. So nice to know I'm among the great unwashed masses
lol, no. :) I was just replying to the earlier person who asked why Ramsay's show is being produced even though he curses. I just meant society in general likes drama.

I watch Hell's Kitchen, too. We'd still watch it without the anger/cursing, I am sure.

Tags
kitchen