How useful are government food guides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1. This is the bottom line that I've been trying to get across to people: don't be so concerned about individual nutrients and just try to eat mostly whole foods. Having an occasional charred steak or a bag of Doritos isn't going to kill you. Eating should be enjoyable, not something fraught with anxiety. Cheers! [emoji16] ?

The important question — what are we supposed to eat already?! — is still on the table, and I have a suggestion. Let’s give up on evidence-based eating. It’s given us nothing but trouble and strife. Our tools can’t find any but the most obvious links between food and health, and we’ve found those already. Instead, let’s acknowledge the uncertainty and eat to hedge against what we don’t know. We’ve got two excellent hedges: variety and foods with nutrients intact (which describes such diets as the Mediterranean, touted by researchers). If you severely limit your foods (vegan, keto), you might miss out on something. Ditto if you eat foods with little nutritional value (sugar, refined grains). Oh, and pay attention to the two things we can say with certainty: Keep your weight down, and exercise.

+1. This is the bottom line that I've been trying to get across to people: don't be so concerned about individual nutrients and just try to eat mostly whole foods. Having an occasional charred steak or a bag of Doritos isn't going to kill you. Eating should be enjoyable, not something fraught with anxiety. Cheers! [emoji16] ?
AMEN,

Back
Top Bottom