"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Cook

Talking I love Cake Boss

This show is really terrific! The cakes are so beautifully designed and created. I think Buddy is extremely talented. I'd love to try one of his creations! Does anyone else watch this show? What do you guys think of it?

Old 10-03-2010, 02:44 AM   #2
Cook

I enjoy Cake Boss and sometimes use it as a filler in my Culinary Arts class if I have 20 minutes to kill. Since I am trained as a culinary chef and not a pastry chef, I have found the show to be quite interesting. Using what I've learned from the show, I'm going to make a cake for my boss for National Boss Day on 10/16.

I've gotten faculty members to give me photographs of our administrator and I'm going to use modeling chocolate to sculpt his image. A miniature of this person will sit on top of a large wedge of Swiss cheese (rice krispie treat covered with light yellow fondant). The cheese will sit on top of a stack of textbooks made of pound cake covered with chocolate frosting and fondant. The words, "The Big Cheese" will be inscribed on the side of the cheese in blue butter cream. A wooden dowel will secure the wedge of "Swiss cheese" to the stack of books.

It should be fun.

Last week I met the young daughter of a co-worker who gravely informed me that she would be turning eight next week. Since I know the family is on a tight budget, I offered to make the girl a birthday cake. I used fondant, 2 nine inch round sponge cakes, and chocolate butter cream to make a "hamburger" cake complete with "lettuce" and gooey looking mustard and ketchup oozing out from beneath the "burger."

It was a lot of fun and the kid was thrilled.

Cake Boss is definitely fun. I enjoy Buddy's creativity and also like the unspoken message that nothing would be possible without teamwork.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Dave View Post
I enjoy Cake Boss and sometimes use it as a filler in my Culinary Arts class if I have 20 minutes to kill. Since I am trained as a culinary chef and not a pastry chef, I have found the show to be quite interesting. Using what I've learned from the show, I'm going to make a cake for my boss for National Boss Day on 10/16.

I've gotten faculty members to give me photographs of our administrator and I'm going to use modeling chocolate to sculpt his image. A miniature of this person will sit on top of a large wedge of Swiss cheese (rice krispie treat covered with light yellow fondant). The cheese will sit on top of a stack of textbooks made of pound cake covered with chocolate frosting and fondant. The words, "The Big Cheese" will be inscribed on the side of the cheese in blue butter cream. A wooden dowel will secure the wedge of "Swiss cheese" to the stack of books.

It should be fun.

Last week I met the young daughter of a co-worker who gravely informed me that she would be turning eight next week. Since I know the family is on a tight budget, I offered to make the girl a birthday cake. I used fondant, 2 nine inch round sponge cakes, and chocolate butter cream to make a "hamburger" cake complete with "lettuce" and gooey looking mustard and ketchup oozing out from beneath the "burger."

It was a lot of fun and the kid was thrilled.

Cake Boss is definitely fun. I enjoy Buddy's creativity and also like the unspoken message that nothing would be possible without teamwork.

I agree the show is really fun and the creations are beautiful, probably pretty tasty too. I think what's important is that even though they all make a great deal of money, they haven't compromised the quality of the product!

Cooking is lots of fun and a great stress reliever! :)
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

my recently married neice lives nearby and had her wedding cake done there.

she says the line is out the door almost every day when she goes past on the way to work.

i've only seen one episode of the show, the one when they visited the adventure aquarium in camden. they actually built a cake with a real fish tank in it! pretty cool.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I find the show a bit corny. It kind of feels like a 'pimp my ride' for cakes!

But, that being said, I absolutely admire their passion and desire to make incredible food. And at the end of the day, that's why I watch cooking TV and that's why I cook, so I guess it gets a thumbs up from me!
Old 11-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i have never seen it. not even sure it is on my deal for the tv. sounds like ace of cake on steroids.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I have seen this show once. And I'm inspired on my the cake more presentable, thanks to them. :)
Old 12-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have never been fan of cake myself. Don't really like eating it ether... besides a small sponge cake. But that guy buddy apparently allot like me in person according to my wife... And more so that if I wanna do something IE cook, get the hell out of my way or ill walk right over you lol...

Good show tho!
Old 12-25-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm not much of a cake eater either, but I do enjoy the Ace of Cakes, and the competitions. Even more so, I enjoy watching the sugar sculptures.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior Cook

When we drove my son to college, which is in Hoboken, NJ, we saw this huge line of people waiting to get into this bakery ... no kidding, the line went on for two blocks. We asked a local, what all the fuss was about, and we were told that the bakery is Carlos Bakery, which is Buddy's bakery.

I've seen the how a few times ... I prefer it over Ace of Cakes on the FN. I often wonder if these cakes actually taste good or are they just for show.