"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
Sous Chef

The 2 fat ladies looks funny. One thing that would have bugged me, and that's just a pet peeve of mine, is the long fingernails (painted) in the food.
There's an infomerical out there with a redheaded woman selling a "quick fry" cooker/skillet that does the same thing with the long nails. Using them to grab and turn food in her skillet.
Makes my eyes bleed.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Master Chef

When Food Network first started & thus didn't yet have their own "stable" of dubious stars, their lineup did include Julia Child's original "French Chef" series, the original "Galloping Gourmet" & his followup series on healthier eating, as well as "The Two Fat Ladies". While I haven't yet bought "The French Chef" series (it's out on DVD & I plan to pick it up soon), my husband did gift me with the complete "Two Fat Ladies" series, which I LOVE.

I'd rather buy them to watch whenever I want then depend on Food Network to bring back some quality programming. Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Cook

Thanks for posting the 2 Fat Ladies trailer, fun! And for the Netflix tip!

The Galloping Gourmet plot thickens...just found this post on Chowhound, that explains why many of his previous shows are not available... Graham Kerr / Galloping Gourmet video? - Food Media and News - Chowhound
Savory Tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Anyone remember ...

Kathleen Perry from 'The Everyday Gourmet'?

She was from Canada ... eah!

(Useless Trivia: She quoted me in the beginning of this cookbook.)

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
The 2 fat ladies looks funny. One thing that would have bugged me, and that's just a pet peeve of mine, is the long fingernails (painted) in the food.
There's an infomerical out there with a redheaded woman selling a "quick fry" cooker/skillet that does the same thing with the long nails. Using them to grab and turn food in her skillet.
Makes my eyes bleed.

So, do you keep your nails short and unpainted so you can cook??? I have long painted nails, I keep them clean!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
So, do you keep your nails short and unpainted so you can cook??? I have long painted nails, I keep them clean!!!
Yes I do. You would be surprised at the bacteria that the underside of your nails can hold. It's unsanitary to keep them long, unless of course you wear gloves. Plus you can never tell when the paint will chip off in the food your cooking.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Julia Child and Jacques Pepin are my favorite. I used to watch a Louisiana cook called Justin Wilson. He cooked simple southern food. Would like to see his
show again.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Yes I do. You would be surprised at the bacteria that the underside of your nails can hold. It's unsanitary to keep them long, unless of course you wear gloves. Plus you can never tell when the paint will chip off in the food your cooking.
OT kinda, but some of the hospitals in Boston are now requiring their nursing staffs to keep their fingernails short because of bacteria. They aren't cut clear to the quick, but there is very little nail extending from it. If it works for the medical profession it wouldn't hurt in the kitchen. Plus, they're short enough to take up playing guitar!
Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #19
Head Chef

unless you want to play classical, then one needs to grow the nails on the right hand, shape them in certain ways. Lots of pros use fake nails on their picking hand.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #20
Master Chef

Long nails on the strumming/picking hand work for regular acoustic (like a Guild F-212) also. Just looks a bit strange...