"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #21
Master Chef

Has anyone heard of an old show, BBC I think, called Floyd on Food (Floyd on Fish, etc)? These were funny and fun to watch.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
Master Chef

Thanks to everyone on this post, for mentioning the Two Fat Ladies, I had a very enjoyable afternoon. I went to our library and got all of the "Two Fat Ladies" DVD's and all of their cookbooks. I watched the first two DVD's, it sure took me back to when they were on TV. I enjoyed listening to them have so much fun while they were cooking at all of the wonderful and beautiful places in Scotland, Wales and England.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
Head Chef

I think that the recipes prepared by Julia Child and the others was simply better than much of what is made on the current cooking shows -- or at least it's more to my liking.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #24
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
During the first two or three years at TVFN, they used to do this. I remember watching old Julia Child shows and even the older James Beard shows where the guests would wear these hugely heavy microphones around their necks. The mics were about as big as walkie talkies!

There's so much to air in the way of culinary history. It's a no brainer. SOMEONE should be doing it - we can't depend on TVFN to air anything relevant to the culinary world anymore, they're too busy trying to fatten their wallets. Maybe PBS could do something like this?? I wish!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Two Fat Ladies!!! They predated Paula Deen by 10 years (or so) in using ghastly amounts of BUTTER!!!

And did you ever notice how much their motorcycle sagged and groaned whenever they got onto it!?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #26
Master Chef

Maybe so - but they were much better cooks & a whole lot more interesting than the one-trick-pony show Food Network is running today.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory Tv View Post
I for one would love to watch the old Galloping Gourmet shows, and vintage Julia Child. I wish they would bring back some of these classics, similar to how "Nick at Night" brings back vintage sit coms!

Does anyone else feel this way? What retro/vintage cooking show would you like to see back on television?
You are showing your age.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #28
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmun View Post
You are showing your age.
Oh, chalk me right up there! I looooved the GG and Julia shows. I remember the Frugal Gourmet (public drama aside). I was one of those people flipping through my SEVEN stations (eight if you counted UHF) in search of that overhead shot of someone stirring a pan.

I saw the discussion in this thread of fingernails - I can't believe how some people keep their nails like talons and expect me to eat their food. Yeeech.

Years ago, Debi Fields (the cooky maven) had a show. She wanted the camera to come in close on an ingredient in her hand. You could see where her nails ended and the fake nails jutted out way past. It was nauseating!

Even worse, I went to a feast on 18th Avenue in Brooklyn and a woman with painted dragon-lady-length nails had her hand wrist deep in a jar of peppers. I walked away. Lost my appetite.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 AM   #29
Cook

....about fingernails. I am a surgical tech by trade, and therefore washed my hands for a living. Jennifer Paterson's fingernals were icky, but so were those rings she always wore. Lovely, but icky in a big wad of dough.... I'd still love to see them back, tho'. My chocolate pye from the frosting thread is a Clarissa Dickson-Wright recipe....printed in 1999, and used for the first time this past Saturday. Is was GF without even trying!

I adored TFL, and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Julia back. I liked Martin Yan, and Justin Wilson, too!
You've all pretty much listed the ones I'd like to see back, too.

Oh, and eeewwww, Sara Moulton wore a ring, too.

I always take mine off before I cook.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #30
Sous Chef

speaking of vintage - - DW and I saw the new movie "Julie and Julia" and highly recommend it. Meryll Streep played Julia to a "T" and it was great! As we like to say, "It's a keeper". Please see it; you'll all be glad you did.