"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Old 08-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #21
Master Chef
I agree with the personality thing. I suspect that the entire channel is geared to teenagers or overgrown teenagers,who scream and yell or are really pretty. It's like reading a teen fan magazine. I haven't watched it in a year or two because I got tired of hearing men yell or fashion model women posing behind food. Now if I watch TV food shows, it's pretty much PBS. Even then I'm not thrilled with the shows. There are a few I still like (I particularly like Ming's shows), but many of the shows I used to like have gone to screaming and yelling.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #22
Assistant Cook
That was the one! Great Chefs was a show that I really enjoyed!

Also, bring back show like 'Melting Pot' with it's guess chefs including Padma back in the day!

Happy@Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #23
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by 2saucy View Post
Stop dumbing down cooking, using 'characters' who act silly and don't teach anything to anyone with a brain on how to cook. I would watch you again if you could offer any shows that come even a teeny bit close to the shows on PBS, BBC America or the Travel Channel.
I hear you! and thousands of folks have told them that, and more. However they're not interested. Their "Market Research" tells them that the viewers they want to reach want to see marathons of "Unwrapped" and "Diners, Driveins and whatever." They lost me years ago.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #24
Head Chef
I watch FN occasionally, and agree with the "personality" fixation they seem to have. Came across one show (don't know the name of it) where the gal was using bacon fat in every one of her recipes.
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #25
Assistant Cook
Send a message via AIM to Cathy
It is unfortunate the Food Network has chosen to alienate mature and seasoned cooks. It seems they have chosen their target audience to be young newlyweds and folks who are reasonably inexperienced.
While Giada is beautiful and Ina Garten's obvious snobbery over living in the Hamptons might impress someone younger, I find it all just TOO TOO. ( if you know what I mean).
And don't get me started on that Semi Homemade show!
But the show that upsets me the most is ANYTHING with Guy Fieri...he is from this area and his stuff is just gluttony and embarrassment.....UGH! It embodies everything that is wrong with the waistlines and health of Americans.
I too, loved the Great Chefs show...and Julia, who launched me at a young age to aspire to great cooking.
If I could tell The Food Network ONE THING it would be to offer more shows for real foodies, to those with experience and who understand more than the basics.
Sadly, Food Network has rapidly alienated the LARGE numbers of real cooks in America.
Perhaps one of you could start a new network dedicated to us?
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef
Let me repeat the recurring theme I mention every time this topic comes up.

It's about the money. Almost everything is.

If the Food Network can get more people to watch their network, they will make more money from ads. They can charge advertisers more for every 15, 30 or 60 second ad they sell. This is why the Super Bowl ads cost so much, because more people are watching the Super Bowl than just about any other show.

There are many many more people out there who are not as interested in food and cooking as we are. Foodies are a minority. If FoodTV can attract viewers with shows that have main stream appeal, it's better for them. So they copy show formats that are popular such as the next FoodTV chef show or Chopped. They try to get personalities that will "sell" like Paula Deen and Rachel Ray and Sandra Lee.

There are tens of millions of men and women out there who only care about putting an edible meal on the table at the end of a hard day with minimal fuss and effort. You all know people like that. I have a daughter like that.

FoodTV has abandoned us. If We watch it at all, it's for entertainment value, not education.

If they could double their revenues by putting on TV shows that cater to toddlers, they would.

You don't have to like it, just understand it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
Senior Cook
Cooking for one

Food Network needs a TV show dealing with cooking for one person. This would span ages from young singles to widowed seniors.

"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #28
Sous Chef
One thing? Acquire and air European shows. Even just BBC shows that feature cooks like Angela Harnett, Rick Stein, Madhur Jaffrey, Ainsley Harriott, Nick Nairn, and more Jamie Oliver (who is the only one I know that really cooks straight from the source and his garden). These guys are real chefs and when I get my annual fix of BBC cooking shows when we travel back to see the in-laws, it makes me realize how awful Food Network programming really is.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
Head Chef
Ever the one to swim against the crowd, I am mightily happy that Food Network isn't
all cooking all the time.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #30
Executive Chef
I enjoy the real chefs such as Tyler FLorence and Jamie Oliver. Some of Giada's recipes and Ina's ideas are great. When Mario was on, I was watching him.

I miss the "ethnic" shows like Melting pot where different chefs cooked items from different cultures and immigrant groups, and a show called Calling all cooks, which went into people's homes and had them cook recipes from their family traditions. True, some were gawd awful, but I have many of those recipes and cook them still today.

I miss cooking instructors like Donna Doher (Alice Guarnicelli's cooking loft is similar)

So FoodTV does have Alice and Secrets of a Restaurant CHef, Tyler's Ultimate and a few other shows that have some value to foodies imo. But yes, they really have gone entertainment.

Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote