"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Bring back the "golden oldies" (Julia Child, Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr, etc.) - those programs you purchased & showed when you didn't have squat to show. Those programs are what MADE you. What drew people (like me) in while you were in your programming infancy. And now you've thrown them away like old shoes. Show some respect & responsibility - bring them back. You obviously have absolutely no idea how many viewers you lost when you dropped those shows for your current lineup of sad sacks.
I couldn't agree more! Those were, and are, the masters, and just mentioning their names should put to shame those so called "chefs" that cook from a box, or clown their way around the kitchen screaming "Bam!". There are a few exceptions, of course. But unfortunately, it seems that showing off is now more important than serious cooking. Oh, and let's not forget to add David Rosengarten to that list!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Robo, that's Alex (as in Alexandra) Guarnaschelli with the cooking loft. Her Mom, Maria, is one of the most respected cookbook editors in the business.

and Brauvi123, you may not care for the man who went "BAM!" but Emeril Lagasse is a well respected chef and restaurateur, and has been so for many years.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #33
Mr. Greenjeans

How about "stop forcing your personalities down my throat until I am so sick of them that I hork"

OOOooo 3 more people tuned into Essence
"Order a dump truck of Emeril to force down the public's throat!"

7 more people tuned into Rachel Ray!
"Quick! Train the "Rachel Raygun" at the satellite that will spread her from coast to coast!"

Diners Drive ins and Dive's rating just went up .00004%
"Everyone! Get on the phone to congress to force a law through that makes everyone wear their sunglasses on the back of their heads!!!"
Old 08-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by brauvi123 View Post
IOh, and let's not forget to add David Rosengarten to that list!
Oh my yes - I always tuned in to Rosengarten's show & found it very informative & enjoyable. Then he suddenly dropped off the face of the earth. After he authored (or co-authored?) the Dean & Deluca Cookbook, he also started some sort of cooking newsletter that I was pelted with mail subscription invitations for, & that was that. Never heard anything about him again.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I like the idea of bring back the classics - Julia
I like the idea of more focus on cooking and less on personalities (at 50% of the time)
But what I would like to see is some technical stuff - why do they use cast iron for some things, why stainless for others, when to use copper, what not to use for somethings and why. The cookware and tools are assumed but many chefwannabees are unclear on these basic items.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #36
Senior Cook

The PBS cooking shows I get on Saturday are much better than anything on Food Network. Show us cooking not some cheezy program that you usually have.

Later
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
TV Food Network Executives listen up...
Film a true mystery box competition where the contestants have "NO" idea of what the main ingredient might be. I know from a direct source that on certain shows the Chef is told about a mystery ingredient about 48 hours out. I can understand that because not everyone can come up with a great meal that quickly. But use something like, if the not actually American Culinary Federation (ACF) competition guidelines. Show the Chef the mystery basket, give them some time to come up with a menu a then time to prepare and plate five portions of a complete meal. Don't load them up with helpers (Sous chefs etc). They would be on their own. This way Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public could really see their creative talent being utilized. The next time they go into their own kitchen to fix a meal maybe they can let their creativity surge out and make something fun and unique themselves.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
And another thing...
I know you have an army of viewers who watch their favorite TV Chefs everyday and I appreciate that. I would think that searching the US for a creative chef that seems to fly under the radar would be an interesting show. Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives comes close, but perhaps a Chef or Chef owner that is cutting edge in their city/region like a Ferran Adria from Spain or Thomas Keller with the French Laundry in Ca., but who has not been discovered for lack of a better word. This could be an oustanding show or series.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Robo, that's Alex (as in Alexandra) Guarnaschelli with the cooking loft. Her Mom, Maria, is one of the most respected cookbook editors in the business.

and Brauvi123, you may not care for the man who went "BAM!" but Emeril Lagasse is a well respected chef and restaurateur, and has been so for many years.
Of course Emeril is well respected, but that is not carte blanche to turn gastronomy and the culinary arts in a mockery... and don't get me going about the way he mames the English language and any foreign words that crosses his path! I think that alone is a blatant disrespect for the audience's intelligence.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

How is that blatant disrespect for the audiences intelligence?