"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #51
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
More Mario Batali please.
I totally second this one.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I totally second this one.
I third that motion!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I find the older styles much less distracting than the current styles. For me, when it comes to cooking shows (note I said cooking, not food travel or food contests or any other number of shows that are about food, but not cooking) less is more for me. Like I mentioned about the Great Chefs show that I loved, one of the reasons I loved it was for its simplicity. There were no "personalities", no special effects or sets, no special anything. It was a restaurant chef in his restaurant kitchen cooking the same way he does every day. The show could have taped without the chef ever knowing anyone was taping him/her because they did not do anything different for the camera. That was the most refreshing and educational cooking show I have seen in a long time.
EXACTLY! EXACTLY!! EXACTLY!!! Gee, can you tell I agree?

Back in Food Network's infancy, the older shows notwithstanding, even the the new talent had decent forums. Emeril, Mario Batali, etc., were ALONE in the kitchen, cooking for & speaking to the television audience one-on-one. Now it's either an auditorium audience (a la infomercial - lol), or even MORE annoying, a group of "special friends" (what a friggin joke that is), or some "family/friends" party, yadayadayada. Who the heck believes this stuff or even cares about it? We're not tuning in to see Ina Gartin host a "surprise party" (yeah right) in her Hampton's compound - we just want to see the woman cook (assuming we do want to see her cook - lol).

The minute Food Network started these shenanigans, I started tuning out all the shows one by one.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I would say "enough of the contests". I love Iron Chef and the head-to-head combat between high-level professionals. But the whole "Hell's Kitchen", "Top Chef" and "Food Network Challenge" is getting pretty old to me. It's just more "Survivor", only in a kitchen.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikC View Post
I would say "enough of the contests". I love Iron Chef and the head-to-head combat between high-level professionals. But the whole "Hell's Kitchen", "Top Chef" and "Food Network Challenge" is getting pretty old to me. It's just more "Survivor", only in a kitchen.
Actually, Iron Chef is Fine Living Network, Iron Chef America is Food TV Network, Hell's Kitchen is Fox Network, and Top Chef is Bravo Network.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Actually, Iron Chef is Fine Living Network, Iron Chef America is Food TV Network, Hell's Kitchen is Fox Network, and Top Chef is Bravo Network.
Ah...all those shows are on Food TV here in Canada, perhaps as reruns.

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Oh Eric, I was just going to say something along those lines. We here at Food TV, Canada keep getting the same old reruns.....to the point of being sickening!!!!!....look at some of the dates....they go back 3, 4 years....not that it matters about dates, but it's the same old, same old....oh dear.....
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #58
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
EXACTLY! EXACTLY!! EXACTLY!!! Gee, can you tell I agree?

Back in Food Network's infancy, the older shows notwithstanding, even the the new talent had decent forums. Emeril, Mario Batali, etc., were ALONE in the kitchen, cooking for & speaking to the television audience one-on-one. Now it's either an auditorium audience (a la infomercial - lol), or even MORE annoying, a group of "special friends" (what a friggin joke that is), or some "family/friends" party, yadayadayada. Who the heck believes this stuff or even cares about it? We're not tuning in to see Ina Gartin host a "surprise party" (yeah right) in her Hampton's compound - we just want to see the woman cook (assuming we do want to see her cook - lol).

The minute Food Network started these shenanigans, I started tuning out all the shows one by one.
Funny you mention this.

A chief complaint I get from fans of my show (not that there are a ton of them out there, but still...) is that there's not enough footage of people eating and enjoying my food.

I wonder if just plating it isn't enough for the majority of the modern foodie audience? They like to see people having a good time eating the food the chef just walked you through preparing...

That said, Emeril's wannabe David Letterman act got old fast, and Paula Deen's wannabe act of Emeril's wannabe act went straight to 8-track after the first episode...

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #59
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella/TO View Post
Oh Eric, I was just going to say something along those lines. We here at Food TV, Canada keep getting the same old reruns.....to the point of being sickening!!!!!....look at some of the dates....they go back 3, 4 years....not that it matters about dates, but it's the same old, same old....oh dear.....
Yes, Ella and Eric, I am totally with you there. I am really tired of hearing that so and so won Top Chef or Food Network Challenge or what have you and I don't see it for one or two years later. (I am not meaning people spill the beans, but it is on the net, in the media, etc.)

I remember one case with the Next Food Network Star where they were advertising the current American season of it on FN Canada and when I tuned in, it was the same one as we had just seen.

I do like some of the Canadian shows we have, but they do repeat things a little too much.

If I could tell Food Network Canada one thing it would be PLEASE stop showing 3 repeats a day of License to Grill with Rob Rainford....let that one die!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Diners, Drive-ins and Dives seems to be more about the host and what he enjoys as it is about the food or its preparation (frequently missing). I like the idea of the chef or chef owner presenting from their perspective. And it does not always have to be from the leading edge perspectives such as French Laundry (once a year experience if I'm lucky) but could be from the perspective of a successful restaurant that produces good to great food every day for a wide range of customers.

I love going to a place in San Jose (Hawg's Seafood Diner) as the food is always good, they add innovative dishes to their regular fare and it is a joy to watch the kitchen staff do their thing. No "master chef" but a couple of guys who really know what they are doing directed by in involved owner and supported by skilled cooks.

Getting this approach to be understandable to the 'chef wannabee' at home would make meals better, less effort and more enjoyable for all.