"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

If You Could Tell Food Network...

If you could tell TV Food Network ONE thing, what would it be?

I would say, "I watch Iron Chef America, and do I care that chef XYZ beat Mario Batali in using the secret ingredient of artichokes? Do I think less of Mario for losing? No. Of course not, and I want them to tell that to the Iron Chefs! I just enjoy watching the competition between them."

Old 08-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Just one thing??? Tough to choose but...

Don't dumb-down cuisine. Please have more programming surrounding cooking in professional settings with great ingredients, well trained and creative chefs with high expectations. I don't want to watch home-style cooking; I can see that live at my own house or my mom's kitchen.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'd like to see programs that show food that is delicious, fresh, seasonal and easy to prepare and scale for 2 to 8 people. I'd like to see demonstrations (replicable in the home) of food designed to wow your guests. I'd like to see foods prepared that, with a little forethought, could be done and put on the table on a weeknight and be nutritious and appealing. I don't need to see how to make foods with prepackaged ingredients--that is pretty self-explanatory! So, give me all of that, FN--not necessarily in the same show <g>--and I'll start watching again.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Master Chef

Bring back the "golden oldies" (Julia Child, Two Fat Ladies, Graham Kerr, etc.) - those programs you purchased & showed when you didn't have squat to show. Those programs are what MADE you. What drew people (like me) in while you were in your programming infancy. And now you've thrown them away like old shoes. Show some respect & responsibility - bring them back. You obviously have absolutely no idea how many viewers you lost when you dropped those shows for your current lineup of sad sacks.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Stop dumbing down cooking, using 'characters' who act silly and don't teach anything to anyone with a brain on how to cook. I would watch you again if you could offer any shows that come even a teeny bit close to the shows on PBS, BBC America or the Travel Channel.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezycooking View Post
bring back the "golden oldies" (julia child, two fat ladies, graham kerr, etc.) - those programs you purchased & showed when you didn't have squat to show. Those programs are what made you. What drew people (like me) in while you were in your programming infancy. And now you've thrown them away like old shoes. Show some respect & responsibility - bring them back. You obviously have absolutely no idea how many viewers you lost when you dropped those shows for your current lineup of sad sacks.
+1
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
Everymom

More Mario Batali please.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Focus more on the food and less on the personalities.

One of my favorite cooking shows was a show (I forgot the name or which channel it was on) where they showed 3 restaurants each half hour episode. The chefs never spoke. There was a narrator who you never saw who explained what the chef was doing. There was not fancy sets or settings. They all took place in restaurant kitchens which all basically looked the same. There was a lot of silence during the episodes too as the chef was cooking and nothing needed to be said. It was such a relaxing enjoyable show.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Focus more on the food and less on the personalities.

One of my favorite cooking shows was a show (I forgot the name or which channel it was on) where they showed 3 restaurants each half hour episode. The chefs never spoke. There was a narrator who you never saw who explained what the chef was doing....
The Great Chefs of (New York, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. wherever they happened to feature for that show.)

I have the book series with those recipes. That was a very good show!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Yes I think that might be it Arky.