"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Giada's show pioneered some of the close camera work we now take for granted on foodtv. And of course those sounds of onion being chopped or sizzling in the pan.
I think I have made 2 or 3 of her recipes and found them ok to really good.

I prefer her to the excesses of Paula Dean and family.
Was Nigella's show on before Giada's? I seem to remember close-ups of her food prep (and lot of finger licking).

Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #22
Executive Chef

I've seen Paula taste from a spoon and use it right after to stir something. I don't even do that at home.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'd like to remind folks about our Community Policies. No bashing comes to mind along with be respectful. People have physical attributes they can do nothing about...that's simply how they are. Is everyone of us here perfect? If someone was talking about your sister, or your mother, in this fashion would it be acceptable? I would think, and hope, not.

If you want to talk constructively without the bashing please feel free. Otherwise, respect our Community Policies and keep the bashing to yourself. Some posts have been removed because they are nothing but bashing.

Please use this forum as it is intended.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #24
Master Chef

LOL ... I remember an unknown woman that had a new cooking show on PBS once ... a lot of people didn't like her because she was too tall (about 6-ft+), was too mannish, had a high shrill voice, she talked like she was drunk all the time, and she was known to drop food on the floor, pick it up, rinse it off, and cook it anyway! She even told people it was okay to do that - nobody would ever know!

A lot of people got over their personal prejudices about her physical characteristics and her little quirks ... and they learned to respect her for what she was teaching them.

Well, maybe some people still don't like Julia Child for those reasons ...
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Spot on Michael, good point.
kades
Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I'd like to remind folks about our Community Policies. No bashing comes to mind along with be respectful. People have physical attributes they can do nothing about...that's simply how they are. Is everyone of us here perfect? If someone was talking about your sister, or your mother, in this fashion would it be acceptable? I would think, and hope, not.

If you want to talk constructively without the bashing please feel free. Otherwise, respect our Community Policies and keep the bashing to yourself. Some posts have been removed because they are nothing but bashing.

Please use this forum as it is intended.
When did Giada become part of our "community"? what's her member name? I wanna send her a friend add
Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snack_pack85 View Post
When did Giada become part of our "community"? what's her member name? I wanna send her a friend add
When was it ever said that we only need to be respectful to people who are part of this site? We need to treat everyone with respect please.

And we are all part of the same global community. Treat people as you would want to be treated yourself. I am sure we all know that rule. It should be practiced no matter what the location or situation.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I always think it's interesting how in one thread there can be some bashing and not a word is said about it, then in another all of a sudden we're all minding our mouths. I obviously can't see the "innappropriate" posts anymore, as they have been deleted, but I didn't think anyone was "bashing". We're being a little critical, sure...but title of this thread is being critical, so I am not sure how this thread couldn't have gone in that direction.

Maybe this thread should have been moved to the "venting" thread since it seems anything goes there?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #29
Master Chef

I think with Giada the answer is rather simple. She did not really grew up in Italy. She went to school in France, so her cooking is affected by those things. My Russian cooking is also not 100 % Russian any more it has been affected by my life here in America. And I've only been here for some 19 years, oh my 19 years already, time flies.

Oh (pss, don't tell my my wife I said that, but) I like the above mentioned "assets", sorry, I'm an old dirty man.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think with Giada the answer is rather simple. She did not really grew up in Italy. She went to school in France, so her cooking is affected by those things. My Russian cooking is also not 100 % Russian any more it has been affected by my life here in America..
I totally agree with this. My grandmother was born on an indian reservation, and my grandfather came over directly from Mexico. I leaned a fusion of the two cuisines, but since I was born and raised in CA, the mexican food I make has a LOT of american/californian influence.

Gives me a different perspective on Giadas recipes. Makes more sense now.